Sometimes we get sick as an Early Wake Sign

I’ve been down and out for over a week with pneumonia. This is the first time I experienced the pain and suffering of this strange bacteria infection. Anyway, I am doing OK and getting back on my feet.

The really strange thing is that during the time I was down I seemed to have lost the taste for certain foods, particularly meat, dairy, coffee and beer. For some reason every time I taste any of these I feel like gagging. On the other hand healthy foods like vegetables, fruits, rice and beans were rock stars for my taste buds.

Now, I have always been one to believe that by simply listening to your body it is possible to learn a great deal about its particular needs. Is it possible that a whole foods plant based diet is what I need at this time in my life? I have been carrying some excess fat on my body for almost a year and now I see myself losing 8 lbs in just over a week with no exercise.

The truth is that there was a time in my life, just a little over 10 years ago where I experimented with this type of eating for almost two whole years. As I remember it may have been the healthiest time in my life.

I will see my primary care physician this week as a follow up to the pneumonia and discuss the option of changing my diet to a whole foods plant based diet.

This entry was posted in aging, diet, fitness, health, life, minimalist, simple living, vegan, vegetarian and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Sometimes we get sick as an Early Wake Sign

1. LA says:

Feel better. I had pneumonia in April. It crushed me. Rest and take care

2. dorannrule says:

Makes perfect sense to me.

3. kkeevins says:

Hi Bill! Hope you’re back in action, pronto. I subscribe to a plant-based diet — now, if I could only STICK to it! The SUGAR BEAST keeps calling my name and, if I give into it, the veggies tumble to the bottom of my shopping list.
    Working hard at being healthy —
    Hope you’re feeling better!
    —Kathy
    From: diaryofadedicateddiabetic,wordpress.com

4. Wow!Makes good sense. Thanks for sharing. I, too, have noticed certain changes in taste preferences. Well done!

5. zipcoffelt says:

I wonder why our bodies don’t send us good-to-eat and bad-to-eat messages sooner.

6. Prima Donna says:

I did that exact change over over a year ago. Best way to go. No processed foods. All organic and NO apple products [due to organic apples and pears still being sprayed w/ certain antibiotics]. I make sure farm does not spray before buying. [Azure in your area does not]. Also I avoid organic hydroponic [it’s full of monsanto chemicals], and go with grown only in soil.

7. kristinmoras says:

I’m so sorry you’ve been sick, but I do think you are on to something! I’m a believer in listening to your body and it will tell you what it needs too. Hope you feel better soon!

8. I, too, experimented with a certain natural diet (not vegetarian, though) years ago, and even traveled around the world, and never got sick.
    That diet did NOT include sugar or milk….
    As someone remarked: the sugar beast is sure to strike. If only I could master avoiding sugar, I think my body would feel much better. **sigh**