Becoming the Elder

Reaching a certain plateau in my 50’s is quickly leading to new thoughts on a bright future. I am noticing more grey hairs and the difficulty of maintaining a youthful appearance. Certainly the realization that I am getting too old to do the same things I did just 10 years ago can be disheartening, but it also makes me realize that I am slowly becoming the elder. Yes, as the Elder it is more acceptable to do things like slowing down or taking a nap in the middle of the day. In the eyes of the youth who search for inspiration, the elder has the opportunity to create enthusiasm through the telling of just one life story.

The elder should be the wise sage of the small circle of existence we currently live in.

As a new realized elder I anticipate good days to come as I near closer to a point where I will no longer be in the work field and will be given the opportunity to discover a new found freedom. I’ve worked hard and continue to work hard towards a means to an end of the daily grind and anticipate a life of more simplicity and comfort. Many envision retirement as a life of luxury, but for me luxury means something completely different. Life is very precious and it is always the small things that we take for granted. The truth is that it is the small things that become our most guarded treasures and times that we will come to live over and over again in both our thoughts and dreams.

I can imagine a time not too distant in the future where I am spending more time tending to the needs of my garden or taking a walk without time constrictions. I walk to simply walk rather than walk to fit in a workout before going to work. I can visit a special place or camp at a place deep in the womb of nature without the time constriction of knowing I must return by a specific date or time.

These thoughts and many others move through my mind this morning as I sit here and ponder the future. Getting older is not the end, no my friends, it is just the beginning.

This entry was posted in aging, camping, family, finances, health, hiking, life, meditation, mindfulness, minimalist, nature, Oregon, simple living, stress, walking, work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Becoming the Elder

1. Herb & Kathy says:

So well said. We are about 10 years or so ahead of you, retired about a year ago and have been full time RVing since along with workamping as we travel. Life is great and we are coming to appreciate each other even more after 43 years of marriage. Your post is so eloquent, I wish I could express my thoughts as you are able. Life is short and it gets shorter every day. Yes, enjoy today and continue to look forward to tomorrow.
    Best of luck to you and yours

2. rhythminlife says:

I love that quote. Every year I happily celebrate my birthday. Many times in my life I have been so sick and narrowly ascaped death. Age is a gift that we all must treasure. I greatly admire, honor and celebrate the elders.🙏

3. Kim Smyth says:

I like your take on things! Makes me feel more comfortable about it myself! I am your age after all. 🙂

4. Noddfacrafts says:

Reblogged this on Noddfacrafts and commented:
    Interesting take on getting older (if we’re lucky)

5. webbermd says:

I am less than a decade behind you, and I see this transition on the horizon.

• For me it has been a struggle as I have always been the strong one with abilities to take on just about anything I encounter. Taking a step back almost feels like I am giving up control of certain aspects of my life. The realization that I am getting older can be daunting, but I am finding my way.

• webbermd says:

You can still take on anything you encounter. You just have to be more methodical in your approach. This is where the wise sage looks, evaluates, and then acts. While the young, just charge in and deal with all the repercussions. As I get older, I have less repercussions.

• Yes, I agree. I take a little more time before I speak or act.

6. Kelly Jean says:

Love your outlook on growing older. Positive Attitude is most important! Even though I am slowing down some I keep striving to be fit and healthy! It feels Good! 😄 Looking forward to retirement and enjoying my grandchild. There is Peace with The Simple Life! 😊

7. kkeevins says:

I’m retired for four years, Bill. Trust me — it’s a BEAUTIFUL thing! There’s a whole new world out here. Lots to do for yourself and others.
    –Kathy from: diaryofadedicateddiabetic.wordpress.com

Wonderful post Billy! thank you very much indeed!!

9. D says:

Great post! I need to keep reading positive things. Trying to come to terms that at 51 I’ve had an irreversible neuro issue that means I won’t can’t hike, snowshoe or even walk briskly on semi rugged terrain. Not sure how it will impact me with regards to being part of a DMAT team.

10. What a lovely post! Its how I feel on the best of my days, as I try to keep on a path of contentment with what my life is.

11. Brenda says:

What a lovely post. It’s how I feel on my best days as I try to stay on the path of contentment with the life I have .