Low on D

As I wrote in my last post I am reading “It Starts with Food” the primer to the “Whole 30 eating plan”. I am slowly adjusting my diet to move away from crappy processed foods to a more natural way to eat. I am reducing carbs and increasing protein and high nutrient foods like vegetables. Even with these slight changes I am noticing an increase of energy loss of weight and lower blood sugars.

I have been doing pretty good as yesterday I had a few eggs for breakfast, a few little tangerines and for lunch a can of sardines and a mango kale salad. Dinner threw me off with fish sticks, mac and cheese and mixed vegetables. I found myself seeking and eating a large handful of potato chips. So all week long my blood sugar has been coming down but this morning it went up. It is too easy to fall back into the trap of eating garbage and I will be working over the next several weeks to change these habits.

Once I actually start the Whole 30 I will have no choice but to eat the right things for 30 days and actually look forward to the discipline.

I received an update on my last blood panel from my primary outlining a vitamin D level of just 13 mg/ml. The optimum level should be 30-100 mg/ml and I have been advised to start taking 5000 IU of vitamin D3. This shouldn’t have surprised me as I know that living in this sunshine deficient part of the globe can cause this reaction. These low numbers in levels of Vitamin D are most likely directly related to my feelings of depression and low ambition to exercise or even write.

I have been happy just going along with going to work each day but not to much more. If I decide to stay in the Pacific Northwest I will have to remember to take Vitamin D supplementation for the full 8 months of rainy season and maybe even seek out a way of obtaining artificial sunlight.

This entry was posted in diabesity, diet, fitness, food, health, minimalist, Oregon, paleo, primal, simple living, stress, type II diabetes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Low on D

1. gitfitsite says:

Recognizing the problem is half the battle, eh?

2. Kelly Jean O'Connor says:

I have been taking Vitamin D-3 for a few months now and I have definitely noticed a difference! I take 2000 mg/day but no more than that. I have more energy! I am outside often but my chiropractor suggested this vitamin to give me more energy! Love it! Hope it helps you! 😊

3. etaxwiz says:

My doctor put me on vitamin D several years ago and I have lost 38 lbs.

4. Alice Lundy says:

Thanks for writing this and reminding me of the vitamin D connection to moods. I’ve taken it for years, but started cutting out supplements. I totally forgot and my moods have reflected the change. Restarting the habit.

5. Dot2Trot says:

About 5 yrs ago my vitamin D was rock bottom, so much so my doctor told me to take the biggest dose I could find (10,000!). A year later is was back in the normal range. I cut back on the amount but still take it everyday. You will notice a difference once your level climbs.

6. suzewannabe says:

Like a recovering addict, I cannot keep carbs like fruit or chips in the house (the kale would always remain untouched).

After a night of going out and having a bite of dessert, I reset with Keto Creme (ebay) in My coffee and Berberine daily.

My last glucose was 88.

Don’t give up!

7. Your post reminds me of the website 100 days of real food. They have lots of good tips, reminders, recipes, ideas on there.

8. mommermom says:

With a lifetime as pretty much an unhealthy eater, I tried the Whole 30 in September and did another one in January. (Great support system on Instagram). I recently posted my successes on my blog. Have been following a Paleoish type diet ever since and it has been fantastic. Although I am not a diabetic, my husband is, he has benefited from my new cooking style. His blood sugar has been improving greatly. He doesn’t follow the diet strictly as I do, but it has made a huge difference. Good luck.

• I am just in the experimental phase, which means that I haven’t actually started it yet but I am starting to change a few things and I have already lost weight and my blood sugar has gone way down.

9. pacificnorthwestblogger says:

This winter has been no help on the Vitamin D deficiency end of things. I for one love the cold grey rainy days, but this winter was particularly hard.

crazy even though I live in the sunniest place in the USA, I am still on the low side of my vit D level…I take it 3X’s a week and will see how that has helped ….I had read somewhere that your Vit D level goes down even just from stress….xxkat