Rain, Rain and more Rain

It started raining here in Northern Oregon back in October of 2016 and hasn’t stopped yet. It has been cold and wet and after 6 months of dealing with this crap I have learned exactly what can happen without sunshine, exercise or proper diet. Winter is pretty tough anywhere but in most area’s of the country there are breaks in the weather where I little bit of sunshine is present for awhile. It’s wonderful having the convenience of a personal gym right out in the garage, but if it’s too damn cold to workout then what is the sense of owning it.

I just received the results of the blood test that was performed during my annual physical and it makes me sick. And if I don’t do something about it it could literally make me sick.

These are the bad markers:

Glucose – 173.0H
Triglycerides – 317H
Cholesterol – 298H
A1C – 8.3

On top of all of that my body weight has gone up to 196 freaking pounds.

The bad thing is that we still have another 2 months of rain heading our way. Yes, it’s time to start making some major life decisions. Late Spring will arrive here and give it’s way into Summer. I will spend a lot of time in the great outdoors and will forget all about 8 months of a rainy season that past before me. But the question is can I actually survive another one?

It is just the process of the lack of sunshine that takes away my ambitions of staying healthy. Although rain has it’s place in the world it seems daunting to actually realize that it just doesn’t stop in this part of the globe. Between dark and grey I find myself clinging to comfort foods and alcohol just trying to find some simple comfort that will ease my constant blues.

A new found career here holds me nestled in days of working outside and coming home cold and wet each day while the job itself excites me and gives me hope that I am on the right path. Many people who are native to the area simply understand that when it rains, you get wet. If you don’t go out in the rain you will never go out. I don’t know if I can adapt to those notions and while many say they love living here I do question why. Even the native Indians who lived in this region migrated each year as it approached rainy season.

The cities here are well equipped with all of the amenities for the handicapped and now I understand why. I don’t believe I have seen so many people starting in their 50’s in wheelchairs or the assistance of walkers in any other place in the country the way I see it here. Is it the lack of sunshine that brittles the bones? I don’t know, but what I do know is that I can longer stay on the same path and must find a way to find my way back to good health.

I forced myself out into the garage this morning dress warmly and walked just a half of a mile. It’s not much, but it is a start. I have to dig my way out of this dark place and start making the workout “Mandatory” each day no matter what. I must turn away from the carbohydrates and sugars which are poisoning my body each day and once again turn to the healthy meats and vegetables which sustain both my body and my mind. I will make those changes and take all of the baby steps once again to regain what is rightfully mine. My Health.

This entry was posted in body building, diabesity, diet, fitness, food, health, life, minimalist, nature, Oregon, simple living, type II diabetes, work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Rain, Rain and more Rain

1. Valerie says:

“It is just the process of the lack of sunshine that takes away my ambitions of staying healthy.” – This is SO me. Rain (and even just dreary days without rain) make me feel actual sadness even though my circumstances are the same. :/

2. Gail Kaufman says:

I admire your determination to persevere. I find it helpful to bring my workout indoors when the weather is bad, by carving out some space inside, using workout videos, and keeping my sneakers and free weights in plain sight. It also helps to redefine comfort foods. Think avocado toast or raw cashews rather than baked goods, for example. It’s a personal journey we all must travel in our own way.

3. SAD syndrome is real, and I had it when I lived up north during the winter. I imagine that endless rain is the same.

4. gitfitsite says:

Oh my, those are some bad markers. I often wonder why is it so difficult to break out of a downward cycle. I was going to ask if you spent your days in or near daylight, as I’ve noticed a HUGE difference in my winters working in a basement office without windows, compared to working on the second floor with huge south-facing windows. But if you work outdoors all day, you are certainly getting your daily dose of daylight.
    If you are coming home cold and wet at day’s end, maybe you need to update and double your wardrobe. My Ex was a UPS driver. He had two sets of clothing, including socks and boots, that he could swap out mid-day; because yes, there is nothing worse than being cold AND wet!
    One other thought, have you considered insulating your garage and adding baseboard heat to at least your workout area?
    We’re rooting for you. The first step is the most difficult and you’ve made that!

5. Jay says:

I can relate! Living in Reno during the winter terms is a battle. I ran away to Boulder City which has helped this winter but I also had to change my medication. Just visiting Reno with the cold and snow made.it had.to keep my healthy routines. Hang in there! Today is a new.day.

6. I had the same down here all the way from June-Nov. Then Dec-Feb was 1/2 clouds too. Yes it causes SAD! also so many studies and stuff out there re: Vit D. It is very big and very important. One of the number one needs is vit D! Without it: cancer, depression, and every other malady out there. The pain is so bad now it’s hard to get my body into the sun now that there is some-but I force myself. Think there is something to all the new info on vit D. In the future I will move: better for solar production, health and growing things. I regrow my celery that comes from your area [white]. The new plant is dark green as it gets the edge of my grow light set up.

7. suzewannabe says:

Even in a sunny place, we’re in the midst of retiring-for-my-husband and March Madness season. Vodka begets fries begets all kinds of things. Back on that wagon today with lifting tomorrow for this week anyway.

8. Sorry to read about your numbers. I hope that you can just put one foot in front of the other and start small. My husband says, “If you lose a pound a week, that is 52 pounds a year. Even if it is a pound a month, it’s still 12 pounds a year.” So I encourage you to just take baby steps. I know you can do it!

Ugh….sorry to see those numbers. My annual is coming up next week and I am dreading them a bit. It’s hard to get back on track from the winter dredges. You will get them back you just have to work at it. Best of luck!!

10. I can relate to this 100%. Been trying to push myself to just get a walk in everyday as a start.

11. My A1C is up as well because I’m moving and having to eat what I can eat, but you gotta get it down under 8. I know you know this. 8 is sort of the danger point and it worries me for you. My triglyceerides are always high. Try to see your doc and get back on the salad-based diet. I’m worried for you!

12. D says:

This post resonated with me because I love in an area where it’s winter 5+ months each year. Just 15 to 30 minutes a day of direct sunlight is sufficient. But with the promotion of sunscreens and skin cancer warnings, many people don’t get the sunlight that they need. However even when it’s not winter I’m a bit of a vampire when it comes to the sun and blood tests indicate I’m Vit D deficient. I take a prescription of vitamin D 50,000 iu one/week. If you ever go to Canada you’ll notice they promote the need for adequate vitamin D and calcium. You might want to ask your PCP to have your level of D checked next time you have labs drawn. I stumbled upon some information a year ago about A1C and regulating blood glucose levels that despite being a seasoned health care professional managed to blow my socks off. I’m in the car traveling through many dead zones and don’t want to lose my connection (happened twice already). I’m going to write it in a note along with the urls then will post it later today.

13. D says:

Your blog settings might flag this because of the number of urls I’ve added but I wanted to give you valid sources as opposed to “Betty Sue’s Blood Sugar Blog” (made that name up).
    About a year ago I decided I wanted to make Golden Paste (turmeric mixture) and use it daily (my German Shepherd too). When making it you have the option to add cinnamon but must be Ceylon as opposed to the stuff I’ve always bought at the store. Since the brand Frontier was highly recommended for bulk turmeric, I went to their Ceylon cinnamon on Amazon. I’m one of those people who reads Amazon reviews and was amazed to see how many people said the cinnamon lowered their BS. I mentioned it to hubby since he’s Type 2 and struggles with his #’s as well. He sort of poo pooed me because for him, if it didn’t come from Dr Oz it’s not valid. I remember telling him to “suit yourself” and concentrated on the Golden Paste. He decided he wanted to add some to smoothies etc daily so built up dose slowly as I was doing. Two months later he told me his BS were dropping and it started a week after he began the GP. I bought an empty spice bottle and started filling it with the Ceylon cinnamon for him as he wanted to add it to oatmeal, steel cut oats etc. His glipizide had to be cut in half and his A1C went from the 7.5-8.5 range down to 5.2. He’s due for his next A1C next month and if still low I’m going to ask PCP to either stop metformin or decrease that as well. He also dropped 15# but not sure if any relationship to GP or cinnamon.