Red Flags lead to the Treadmill

redflagsTeetering at nearly 196 lbs and watching my blood sugar rise each day I am suddenly seeing red flags rise all over the place. It has been almost 4 months since I stopped working out and allowed the winter to creep into my soul. Normally I find myself weighing in at about 10 lbs over my normal weight, but with this cold winter it has been difficult to force myself out into that cold garage and get on that treadmill of mine.

Well, those days are over. I am back on track and although I am simply walking a little over a mile each morning I am already starting to feel the changes in both energy during the day, sleeping at night and my scale showing lower numbers.

One of the most difficult things to do after a long winter is getting back on track with a steady workout program. I am starting out slow and progressively working my way back. For just 20 minutes a day each morning I find it easy to push myself to just doing that one isolated exercise. In my case it is just walking. It is still cold out there in that garage but I find that I can bear a simple 20 minute walk. This is something that I forget each fall as my body becomes less interested in exercise and more interested in packing on extra fat to make it through the winter. I should have been doing this all winter long even if it was just 3 days per week.

Anyway, I am shooting for the goal of finding my normal weight again with just a 20 minute walk each morning. As we get closer to the Spring Season I will discover all of that natural energy to start adding a few weight bearing exercises and get this body back to where it should be. Fit and trim.

This entry was posted in body building, diabesity, emergency, family, fitness, health, life, minimalist, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Red Flags lead to the Treadmill

1. Good luck getting back into your workout routine. Winter is rough. I am ready for spring so I can go on long walks outside again without freezing.

2. patc44 says:

Gosh its hard to get motivated isnt it? 2015 I walked for 40 min a day to work & back plus 20 at lunch walking my dog.2016 – I got lazy and got a lift to and from work…then we lost our dog so that stopped. 2017 – nothing!!!!!!! But I’m determined to start the walking again!

3. Ravn Thor says:

Good luck!

4. Gail Kaufman says:

I am a big proponent of exercise for its many physical and spirit-lifting benefits. However, when it comes to weight loss, food intake plays a bigger role. There are online tools to estimate how many calories we burn with different activities, and it is disappointing. I find calorie counting to be much more effective for weight loss, though I still exercise for the other benefits.

• D says:

I agree with you 300%! I’m a vegetarian plus believe it or not don’t like chocolate or a lot of pastries. There will be days when I literally forget to eat and in the past I’ve had some medical issues simply because of anemia, electrolyte imbalance and huge protein deficiencies. It’s been a struggle, especially for protein intake. I’ve recently discovered pea protein powder and began adding it to a fruit smoothie or even to vanilla yogurt. I was at my healthiest when I counted calories AND protein intake using an app on my phone. The exercise however helps define muscles, strengthens bones and then there’s that endorphin thing!

• Gail Kaufman says:

Thanks for commenting, D. Yes those apps are effective for building discipline when used consistently. I like “LoseIt.” As for protein, seeds are good options as well, ex. chia, flax and hemp.

• D says:

I use both golden and brown flax seed which I grind and add to whatever. I have Sjogren’s syndrome and because I’m a vegetarian don’t get the benefit of omega-3 from fish. I did research (I like to research things ~ my weird habit) and found that flax & chia seeds were almost equal in the amount of omega -3 while hemp had less. So it all came down to taste. I seem to like the nutty flavor of flax the best.
        I’ll have to check out LoseIt. The one I have is Calorie Counter by My FitnessPal.com. Thanks!

• Oh, I do love when those endorphins kick in. I was a vegan for 2 years and absolutely loved it. The only problems was experiencing muscle loss from lack of protein. Back then my lifestyle was much more physically active as I worked inside a maximum security prison. Today I am less active and could probably adapt back to a vegan lifestyle if I chose.

• D says:

Yes! I go back and forth between vegan and vegetarian. I miss eggs and cheese sometimes.

• I agree 100%. The key to weight loss is based on what we eat and when we eat it. This is why I will soon be balancing my plates with a small amount of meat and lots of healthy vegetables. It is also important to allow the body to rest through timed fasts so the body can burn fat rather than carbohydrates or actually sugars for fuel.

5. D says:

I’m right there with you on the weight gain as I’ve gained 30# ~ first time since my pregnancies and considering I’m now a Gammy, that was a long time ago. I’ve always been a hiker and love backcountry snowshoeing. My GSD developed a serious issue so I spent the first few months of 2016 practically living on my laptop researching treatment options. Then I had complications from “eye surgery gone wrong” and literally couldn’t see the floor in my house much less the ground to walk. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve fallen inside over one of the dogs antlers! So in the course of one year I gained 30# but REFUSE to but new clothes. Like you wrote, one feels better when in shape. Had my right eye surgically corrected last week and can finally see where I’m walking. I already started taking short (20 minutes) walks and will build up from there. Hope to be on snowshoes next week although I’ll go on a trail or field till my legs regain their strength before I resume backcountry. I’ve noticed they aren’t nearly as strong as they used to be. Inactivity gets us every time! Good luck and hope your blood sugars decrease as well.

• Good luck to you as well and remember to take it easy for at least 4-6 weeks and slowly build back up to where you want to be before taking on the Alps. LOL πŸ™‚

• D says:

Hahaha The alps ~ good one. Yes I definitely have to get the strength back in my legs as right now I feel like the Strawman from Wizard of Oz. Hard to believe less than 2 years ago I was climbing rocks, roots and boulders on the AT.

• Yea, you lose it pretty quickly. I too have to work my way back as I look in the mirror and can swear I have a half of a basketball in there. It’s funny though, once you get started it seems like you don’t feel right if you miss a day.

• D says:

OMG I thought of your blog today! I dropped a vitamin and even though it probably wouldn’t hurt the dogs, I got down on the floor to look for it. Regressing a moment, I have a unique and very unladylike way of getting up from the floor after having both knees replaced 2 years ago. So while trying to assume my octopus like position to get up, I found my legs weren’t strong enough to push off. It was hysterical! Took about 10 minutes and finally a chair to get up. That is an absolute first! On a positive note, while hanging out on the floor I discovered Ball Emporium. All 8 of the dogs balls were under the stove.

I was doing well, then poof my sister arrived and its been a struggle…..but good for you….

7. kkeevins says:

Hi Bill, I’ve been remiss both at writing my blog and reading the posts of others. BUT, I’m back in action, and starting with you. The last post I read was when you revealed the news about your “new” brother. I’m still smiling and hope that only good things came of that.
    Obviously, I can relate on the T2D front. I’ve come to the realization that, even in the best of times, diabetes is a rollercoaster ride. We just have to do the best we can — and then, a little better! πŸ™‚
    Gotta go — seems you’ve been writing, so I’m going to move along in reading your posts.
    Keep hitting that treadmill, Bill.
    –Kathy from:
    diaryofadedicateddiabetic.wordpress.com

8. Thanks for the love on my blog. Also, good luck on that treadmill! You can do it! I always suggest doing yoga because it’s easy on the joints and calming at the same time. Whatever you choose, you can do it!

9. kkeevins says:

Damn that winter!!! πŸŒ¨β˜ƒοΈβ„οΈπŸŒ¬
    Keep the faith, Bill. It’s almost over! I’m with you — it’s strange how everything, motivation, etc., changes with the weather/seasons. So predictable, yet it always comes as a surprise to me!
    Good luck!