Career Survival – Constant Act of Recreating One’s Self

aaeaaqaaaaaaaavpaaaajgrhnjbmndhiltq3owytndc3yy05mzq4lwjlymfmmdqzzdcymwAs I move into a new year and continue to take the silent vow of simplicity I once again find myself filled with staying busy. My career choice leads me in directions where the act of “recreating oneself”, is a constant. I find myself sitting next to a stack of books and an online training course to pickup yet one more certification to ad to my skill set of constant new requirements to advance in my field. With just 10 years away from retirement I find that I am still reaching out to sources to move forward the same way I did when I was 30 years old.

Career life doesn’t end just because you are getting older. In fact I am finding that the older I get the more I have to pay attention to staying on the same track I did throughout my life. It is a constant battle in the act of becoming the best you can be at what you do. Technology is constantly changing the same as new regulations change as time goes by. To not stay on top of these things is the same as allowing myself to become obsolete in my field as I can just as quickly be replaced by one who has a stronger desire than myself towards success.

But the truth be told I actually enjoy doing these things that keep me on track and love the opportunity to learn and apply new things. I have also discovered that by taming other aspects in my life I actually have more time to spend working on self preservation. One of the thoughts that keeps playing over and over in my head is where these skills may take me after I turn 65 or 66 2/3. I have no idea what our society might be like in ten years. Things change so quickly and the one thing I have learned is that there is no guarantee to anything anymore other than eventual death.

I don’t know if my pension will be debunked as I see so many plans falling apart and retiree’s being left without the assurance of receiving a monthly check after retirement as promised. I don’t even know if Social Security benefits will still be around in ten years. These things are under constant threat which leaves me with only one option which is taking things into my own hands.

I have the next ten years to prepare for these things that will leave me with the option of either continuing to be employed in my current field or move on to self employment where the knowledge and skills that attain will be marketable in the future. My hopes of course are geared around the thoughts of everything being OK, but if they are not I must be prepared.

My health is also something that I have to take complete control of. Eating healthy food and getting a decent amount of exercise will assist me not only on a day to day basis but also during an possible event of sickness. Healthcare is not really labeled correctly. Healthcare as we know it is actually “Sick Care”. True healthcare is built around the things we do each day that help us stay healthy.

I have but some simple choices that will help to remedy any possible unfortunate circumstances. Continue to save, stay healthy, continue to pay down debt and continue to reinvent myself. Right now I have the opportunity to create my own future. For if I don’t the future will ultimately create me.

This entry was posted in debt, diet, family, finances, fitness, food, growing up, health, life, minimalist, prepared, quit smoking, simple living, work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Career Survival – Constant Act of Recreating One’s Self

1. Kim Smyth says:

You will always have your writing! Maybe you could be the next Stephen King or whichever author you fancy. I am trying to build a new career myself in writing, I have so much to learn and figure out. I need to, one never knows when the rug will be pulled out and then it will become mandatory for me to survive on my own. In case that were to happen, I’m learning how to earn a living with my writing. Wishing us both luck!

2. Another great post! I love how you focus on what’s within your control, instead of being debilitated by what’s beyond your control. One more example of why healthy choices fuel our spirits. True empowerment. 🌟

3. Dennis Barber says:

“Ten years later”… been to college, got degree, now underemployed, taking a break from a stack of books-notes in a discipline I’ve never been proficient in. I’m 62 next year, time to get proficient. I think we need the drivers in our life to keep us from settling into the recliner of death, and I’m getting that sentiment from those 70-80-90….you’re among the enlightened few! I work with many in those age groups of which the “future will ultimately create me” has manifested into a most undesirable outcome.

4. Gail says:

I live the same thoughts every day. My parents’ generation looked forward to retirement. My generation fears survival in retirement. My children probably won’t even consider retirement to be an option. Medical science and nutrition education enables us to live longer without addressing the economics of living longer. What is the value of longevity without the ability to maintain your lifestyle?

• You are so right Gail. I think that retirement in the future would mean working a 20 hour per week job. I already have my mind set in this direction as I see more and more elderly folks still in the work field.

5. Minimalist Report says:

Keep inspiring Sir

I recently checked into my pension from one of my jobs, I can get it earlier for less money, but sometimes if your worried about getting to be able to take them, just a thought you might look into the dates you can start drawing if your interested…..just putting that out there…xxkat

7. you are right about health care costs and heaven knows what they will be now. I know medicare keeps going up–we are living on SS–hand to mouth. you are in a better position than we were; the best laid plans went awry and no way we could have been prepared. you seem to have a better savings than we did. we are constantly scrounging to bring in a few more bucks.

8. I can completely relate to your post. I am doing a lot of the same things you are. I am always signing up for classes to learn or improve a skill. Neither my employer, nor my spouse’s has a pension plan, so we are relying on 401k(kinda a joke because it is so unpredictable) savings and social security. I have decided recently to become an independent rep so that I can have better control of my own finances, which also means more training, which I don’t mind. I actually know some people in their 50’s who have already retired. They are the ones with pensions. Truthfully, I’m not sure why one would want to retire in their 50s or even 60s especially if they are in good health. Too often I have seen men particularly of my parents’ generation retire early from their jobs and then their lives retire. It’s good to continue learning, stay relevant, and try new things regardless of our age that’s what makes life interesting. Also, taking control of our health through healthy diet and regular exercise is one of the most important things we can do. My goal health wise is to be prescription drug-free well into my senior years and to be running as long as I possibly can. I have seen first hand through my parents that with each drug comes a side effect and a hefty price. Age is mostly a mind set and it sounds like you are living life with a great attitude!

• I retired as a Law Enforcement Officer at 51 and it only took me 3 months to start working again. I couldn’t stand it. I am now working in a field where my expertise and those important certifications will lead to a second retirement and also an opportunity to continue working as a Housing Inspector independently on a schedule that I choose. Until the affordability of health care insurance is adopted, (never) I will continue to work. Based on current events it is predicted that my pension which is generated through my contributions to a broken system in the State of New Jersey will be completely broke in the the next 18 years. 401k is the best option for security.

9. gitfitsite says:

I’ve missed your posts, hope all is well with you…

10. So true what you wrote. I share a lot of the same concerns, although, pension is not an option for my spouse and I. I also have been going through training both on-line and classroom setting. It is challenging at times, but rewarding, especially when I feel I am making progress. I have to admit I’m scared at times, but also invigorated and if there is one thing that I have learned as I get older, it is I have to push through the things that I fear because that makes me stronger and a better person. I enjoy your posts. They are inspiring and offer some good advice. Good luck to you.