Service to Others

bryant-mcgill-time-service-others-4f8hYesterday I met a woman of 79 years old who tended to the needs of a beautiful home and yard. My purpose for being there was to respond to a complaint of overgrown natural growth at a property next to hers. It turned out that the property did get cleaned up and this woman allowed me to view the progress from her yard.

As we spoke she talked about the neighbors getting together to help other’s out in the neighborhood who may be going through tough times to help them keep up with the job of property maintenance. She said she couldn’t even find a young man who would be interested in helping her maintain her own property even at a decent salary of 13.00 per hour. She wondered where the real men have gone.

old_man_mowing_the_lawn_royalty_free_clipart_picture_090612-183135-508048This moment in time brought me back to another moment in time as a child. Up until the age of around 11 I distinctly remember going around the neighborhood with my Great Grandfather cutting lawns and doing small maintenance jobs to help out the neighbors who were getting up in age. As a retired man he spent a great deal of time taking care of his own property and when he ran out of work to do he would volunteer his work to others. I never knew him as a young man and don’t know if he was able to do the same for others while raising a family and working 8 hours each day but understood that helping other’s was important to him.

He would awaken at the same time each morning and get to work around the house at the same time each day. Then he would break for lunch at exactly 12:00 each afternoon only to return to work at 1:00. As I think about it I feel that he was probably mimicking the work schedule he once had during a time before retirement.

Pop Pop took what he knew and his time to a level of service to others after retirement and I knew that it brought him great joy. He had something in his heart that seemed to simply want to help others. This is the same spirit that I believe exists in all of us though sometimes it doesn’t seem like there is enough time in our own lives to reach out to others. What I learned from being a part of Pop Pop’s life was that just spending about 30 minutes each week to complete a task for someone who may not be capable to completing it themselves is more valuable than money. This man I called Pop Pop passed away one day in his sleep but left behind some important lesson’s in life that I carry with me always.

The question I pose here is there someone in my neighborhood that needs just a little help as they may be struggling with illness or simply finding the time to get things done because they are working two jobs while raising small children? What difference would it make if we all found just 30-60 minutes out of each week to reach out to someone in need? I have attained many skills throughout my life and am capable of many things. Is there a service I could bring to another out of the simple responsibility of not just living in a community but also servicing the community I live in?

We all love receiving a gift at times, but what brings more joy to my heart is that of giving a gift to others.4553573098_14f4341e9f

This entry was posted in adventures, family, gardening, growing up, health, life, marriage, mindfulness, minimalist, nature, permaculture, simple living, stress, walking, work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Service to Others

1. cvanhook says:

Wonderful post, I too wonder where the help and generosity of the youth has gone, is there no more Pop Pops out there to teach the values to our youth. Ive tried to install them in my own Son, and I’m very proud to say at 20 now he may not have had your Wonderful Pop Pop to guide him, but Ive done well, his generosity and kind giving heart overwhelm this Mom.

2. ktg4him says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Right on, sir! ๐Ÿ˜

About ten years back and more, we lived in a place where the next door neighbor was a widow and the folks across the street were elderly. In the winter, the boys and I would shovel the snow off of our driveway and sidewalks as well as the other two. There are always opportunities to help others. You just have to look around.

4. Wonderful post. Simple life – simple service!!! It may go viral!!! It should!

5. pruninglife says:

One of our retired teacher neighbors was just telling me about this too, how she used to have kids 20 years ago coming to her door looking for work but now that she’s older and needs help, no one’s ringing the bell.

6. Dede says:

Well said. As someone who has been in need of nothing more than friendship, it’s amazing how little time people are willing to give these days.

7. It is almost impossible to get any help out here even for $50 per hour. I say that after contacting over 100 handymen. Median rent for 1 bedroom apt is about $450 per month-much cheaper than the Northwest. So after doing the little things for winter or monthly upkeep, my whole social security check is gone. $181. is the best price I could get, because they were willing to do a favor-this was to put foam over the spicket/water hose to my trailer. There are places like Habitat for Humanity, that are supposed to help people w/ home and yard, and the like but they do not help anyone w/ even simple little repairs. They just are out there to pocket the income and funds. There used to be volunteers that did simple things, but they passed on. The neighbors say I should higher them, when they see that I have finally hired someone, but could never in a million years of trying get one of them to show up-I wish they would stay out of it and quit interfering if they do not have time to even give me an estimate. The problem is no one wants to work unless they are getting paid major money. It makes me wonder how the stores and gas stations are going to be able to stay open if this keeps up. Back in NM homes were falling down, due to no one was competent to do any repairs-I sort of feel sorry for my last landlord-as he will pay and pay again to keep having the place filled w/ water and it will never get fixed. We have entered a new age where any service is not to be had. I have had to do without on so much, as I can not get info on items I need from sellers or if I do order, get them to send me the right product that I did order. Non willingness to serve is stalling our economy and progress as a human race.

It used to be a willingness to serve was at the root of all businesses and they took pride in it.

What you say here is wonderful! I hope people get back to thinking that way again. Maybe the economy would improve, with that attitude. Better goods and services again!

• You bring up an interesting topic of goods and service and you are absolutely right. There is very little pride left in simply doing a good job or providing a quality product. It’s almost like the service or product is less important than the financial transaction. So sad.

8. My husband excels at this. He is always helping someone. I admire him for it, and think how much good he’s doing in the lives of people we know. He’s a worker, and a lover; a good man!

9. kkeevins says:

GREAT post! You’re a good man, Charlie Brown. Seriously, how hard is it to take a little time out to help others? Not difficult at all. Thanks, Bill.
    —Kathy from:
    Diaryofadedicateddiabetic.wordpress.com

10. cherylfoston says:

Another wonderful post! I taught my sons to be kind and to always be of help to others. I must say without bragging that I raised three wonderful young men with loving hearts. We are all here to help one another, I just wish everyone can get on board with that. Thanks, for sharing this!

11. Gail says:

Every fall, my company reaches out to employees to volunteer to rake leaves from the yards of homeowners who are not in a position to do it themselves or to hire a service. This will be my second year. It’s a great way to burn calories and do something charitable at the same time.