I am simply not writing

blank-005There was a time not so long ago where I was excited about getting up early in the morning and writing a post to this blog each and every morning. It seems something has changed to the point where I have become so comfortable in this life that I’ve created that it seems unnecessary to to write. In my heart I know that this is not true as I always have something to say, but many times feel that I have already written about the same subject.

I suppose that for an author writing a book the challenge of writing has finality in that once the book is completed an end is reached, where as a blog can go on forever. So I have to ask myself, “Why do I continue to write”?

Well, it is actually the posts that I have written over time that allow me the opportunity to express my thoughts and feelings about the whole idea of living a simpler life. There are so many aspects of minimalism and the life I lead is certainly different than other’s I know or just read about. I am always seeking out new ways to make small changes that can blend into the things I have already accomplished to further enhance simplicity in my life. This is one of the reasons I love to read other’s blogs and websites that offer fresh idea’s and insights about the subject that can offer just a little more thought and inspiration around the simple life.

While I maintain a healthy garden each year, I am certainly not a homesteader as I continue to enjoy life in the city but am planning on doing some serious canning next season. I don’t live in a tiny house as I enjoy the freedom of space in my moderate home. I am not a buddhist monk, but still enjoy the practice of mindfulness in my daily life.

I have reached a point of what I call the “blank slate”, where I simply do not know what more to write about. I am sure that this will soon change as it seems that I always pick up a spark of excitement about something. For now I have an empty mind and am simply enjoying the moments of each day of my life.

It seems strange to write about reasons for not writing but even these thoughts and actions make up what I am and what is going on in my life. I am certainly not going to stop writing as I find simple joy in putting words to paper, but for now I will continue on this hiatus and simply accept the feelings I feel deep inside.

This entry was posted in blogging, family, finances, gardening, health, life, marriage, meditation, mindfulness, minimalist, simple living, stress, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to I am simply not writing

1. Perhaps living a simple life is about choosing what you want to do and not always doing things that you feel you should. A break from routine is always good 🙂

2. msgt3227 says:

I find your posting today a wonderful blend of Zen and Socratic experiencing…

• Smiles. I believe you are right. A year ago I would have created some type of stress over not writing and would have forced myself to write something. Now I can just wait for the signal to come along when something really moves me.

3. Your blog is one of the first to spark my interest in living a simpler life. I’m on my way, and that’s partly because of what you’ve written in the past. Thanks for that. I don’t know if I would yet call myself a minimalist, but I am sure loving the de-cluttering process and sharing the wealth with others. Make one feel good!

4. Kim Smyth says:

I would miss your daily posts but still follow you even if you took a break. Maybe it’s time to relax and just read other’s blogs for ideas and inspirations. Enjoy your break! See you when you return!

5. kkeevins says:

Ugh. I know the feeling, Bill. I’ve been there, as have so many others. I’m not as “dedicated” to my writing as I am to winning the diabetes battle, but I still do fight for my “Right to Write” (a book by Julia Cameron). The reality for me, and I suspect for you too, is that I HAVE to write. There’s a need — down deep in my soul. [Thay may sound hokey, but it’s really there.]. It never ceases to amaze me when I don’t WANT to write! Why wouldn’t I want to do the one thing I love the most 😂 Crazy. Truth is, we all need a break sometimes — it’s healthy.

In terms of your writing, Bill, and on a TOTALLY selfish vein, I NEED YOU to write! (Warned you it was selfish!). I’m planning on putting my house on the market in the spring to downsize. I’ve been purging (sometimes on and off); I HATE doing it and you’re blog has been incredibly helpful to me. Your positive attitude boosts my lousy one up, so that I can move on with it. Let it be known: I NEED YOUR BLOG!
    No pressure. 😀
    –Kathy from:
    Diaryofadedicateddiabetic.wordpress.com

6. Jim Brennan says:

They say most writing happens when you are not at the computer or with a pen in hand. Writing happens in daily occurrences. When I’m blocked I find its best to get out and experience life and let the writing find you. That’s not to say don’t write every day,’just don’t get hung up on it and at some time you’ll break through.

7. I’m a new reader, but I would still surely miss your posts if you stopped writing. Here’s hoping the bug gets you again…not the bee that stung you of course, but the writing bug. 😉

8. Write in Brother. Write on.

9. It’s nice to take a break once and awhile. You do not always have to be updating all the time. I have gone a month at times without posting but it gives time to think and relax.

10. kkeevins says:

Hi Bill, reread your comments. Sounds like an overwhelming vote of confidence to me! 🎉 Be proud, regardless of what you decide to do.
    Best of luck.
    –K

11. Gail says:

Sometimes when I feel as you do, I spend more time reading than writing, which leads me to reblog posts or derive inspiration from other blogs.

12. I “struggle” with this too. The old ones say that contentment is a sure way to get writer’s block. I wouldn’t call it a block myself. I just started writing again. My last post was months ago. Just live.

13. I enjoy reading, and I get nervy when I have nothing to read. Writing, I can take or leave. Take a rest, there will still be plenty of words to go round when you decide to start again.

14. I am a writer, published author of 2 books. I can relate to your views.