Finding my way back to the Simple Life

new-logo-subhead-400After more than a week of dealing with both a summer cold and an early work schedule I am finally back feeling much better and a normal schedule. I cherish my mornings where I have the opportunity to share my thoughts with the world and obviously love feeling the blessings of good health.

The time I spent away from my rigid workout schedule has made me realize that I have been working out like a professional linebacker at the ripe age of 25. Although exercise is important it is also important to remember that my age certainly restricts me from the same bounce back that I experienced as a young man. Facing the truths of aging certainly are not easy as I have always felt that I was invincible and when I set my sights on a goal I usually could find a way to attain it.

This doesn’t mean the end of the line for me where I simply give into stresses of facing my inevitable mortality. It simply means that physical health can be handled in a way that stays in line with a man who is 55. After examining my notebook over the last several months along with many past blog posts I have written I have come to the conclusion that I am concentrating too hard on listening to that physical fitness coach in my head. I have lost finding joy in the principles of living a simple life as I had traded many of those things in for finding the fountain of youth.

Life is about so much more than trying to stop the hands of time and it has always been those simple joys of living that make life a treasure. I am living by way of the clock each day trying to fit way too many things into my daily schedule and never leaving enough time to do the things I love to do. I can’t remember the last time I hiked to one of the great waterfalls here in the wonders of nature in Oregon or even taken a quiet ride on a bicycle. Although I spend time in the garden it is rushed time and not the type of time spent with appreciation of growing season.

I am changing my focus back to where it should be and my posts will reflect my thoughts and actions of the Simple Life once again.

This entry was posted in minimalist, simple living, stress and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Finding my way back to the Simple Life

1. Great post! I think so many of us are suffocating from the burden of time. Brilliant decision to get back to your roots. Simple life.

2. loubelcher says:

Great Post!!! I have been hoping to see one like this from you. I think that fitness is much more than extreme exercising… and I’m glad to see you are coming to that conclusion too. Fitness to me is functional mobility — the ability to move and do the things that make me happy. And fitness is optimal health… sustaining my health at a level that promotes optimal experiences from life. Enjoy your journey to what works best for you.

3. @fitone says:

Great post that I can certainly identify with since I’m around the same age. I’ve been a fitness instructor for over thirty years and I’ve learned that recovery is vital. I also understand the importance of a well balanced workout schedule including strength, cardio, and flexibility training. I’ve learned to cherish the aging process rather than fight it and not attempt to compete with other instructors that are half my age. I think yoga has helped me tremendously mentally and physically to develop a positive mindset about getting older.

4. msgt3227 says:

Great post, and you are certainly in a great place right now…. I found sailing to be my source for peace and acceptance of my growing out of “peak performance” mindset a couple years ago into aging in a healthy way.

5. kkeevins says:

Welcome back…
    I, too, have fought the battle, regarding aging. I found someone who said something I found to be profound., and IV adopted it into my thought process.

“Getting old is inevitable,
    Aging is optional.”
    — Dr Christianne Northrup

This statement has changed my thinking in a significant way. I have always thought about myself in terms of not getting old. I guess, like many, “old” meant feeble, disabled to me. I refused to do THAT!

The reality, I believe, is precisely what she’s stating. There’s not much we can do about the progression of the body’s (normal) decline, but we CAN control what’s going on between our ears.

Think young, stay up to date, keep active. That should do it, no???

6. kkeevins says:

Hi Bill:
    I gave you a “shout out” on July 27th — topic of sleep.
    From: Kathy at
    diaryofadedicateddiabetic@wordpress.com

Glad to see you are back and doing better!! Sometimes it takes something to knock us down so we can realize what we have done to ourselves. You’ll get back on track I am sure 🙂

8. Hikes and bike rides are the best! The fresh air and nature are good for the soul.

9. Jess says:

Fantastic! I’m so on board with this! I have been writing about my joy journey, trying to re-wire my brain to see and live life from a lens of joy, rather than a lens of achievement. Funny how we both started our missions (my Get Well Plan, your year of Fighting Diabesity) at the same time, and then we both came to these conclusions about simple living and joy around the same time.

Can’t wait to hear about what you get up to from the framework of simple living and joy, rather than by the clock and achievement. Hikes and bike rides and joyful pottering around the garden sound wonderful.