Diabesity War Day #18 – Tuna and Sardines for Protein

gty_canned_tuna_sardines_ll_140102_16x9_608Another great day yesterday with both diet and exercise. 8:00 AM Breakfast with a can of tuna, Lunch at noon with a big ass salad and a can of sardines and dinner was Chicken Pot Pie. The workout was awesome and I felt wonderful and slept like a baby. It appears that I dropped another pound and my blood sugar also dropped since yesterday morning.

I am surprised that question hasn’t arose yet as to why I am eating a can of tuna for breakfast follow by a can of sardines for lunch. The answer is an easy one as these are my sources of protein early in the day. I could simply do a protein shake but after reading the ingredients on these drinks I am not impressed. The can of tuna with is a better quality than most major brands has 11 grams of protein and is in salt water. The sardines also a better quality is in extra virgin olive oil and contains 10 grams of protein. I don’t follow the body builders guides of double your body weight in protein as like carbohydrates protein is also stored as fat. Just enough, but not too much from natural sources seems to be working well for me.

Since I have been working a little more heavier with strength training I am finding that my 18 hours fast is starting to disappear. Although I am still maintaining a 14 hour fast each day I really want to fit in at least one 18 hour fast each week. I am thinking that one day on the weekend would be perfect for this.

Just because I am 55 years old doesn’t mean I have to conform to the Western ways of life. I don’t need to be living on a dozen different medications or carrying a belly that drops below my waistline. I know in my heart what is good for me although sometime I don’t always listen to my own advice. I try to shoot for at least 90% of the time to do the right thing. Not one of us is perfect which certainly includes myself. I will give into cravings at times and I may need to skip a workout, but overall 90% is far better than 0%. By the end of this 365 day experiment I will prove to myself that I don’t need to suffer from Type II Diabetes and I don’t need to search out the refuge of a couch after a hard days work. I am 55, I am alive and will push on to be the best I can possibly be.
______________________________________________________________

Bowflex- ARMS and ABS
Curls- 85/85- 15, 13,
Hammer Curls- 70/70- 13, 12
Tricep Pulldown- 75/75- 17, 12
Dips- 150/150- 25, 20
Situps- 100/100- 20, 22

Treadmill
Distance- 2.51 miles
Time- 35:03 minutes
Calories- 306.4 burnt
(Reached 2 miles at 27:24 minutes) Woo Hoo

This entry was posted in body building, diabesity, fitness, food, health, intermittent fasting, minimalist, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Diabesity War Day #18 – Tuna and Sardines for Protein

1. timewithlyme says:

Bravo! Keep up the hard work! Your body will thank you.

2. tischcaylor says:

Just out of curiosity, how long have you gone without diabetes meds? I’m currently writing about someone who’s gone 25 years. Just trying to get a sense of how unusual that is.

• I was taking it over the winter as I wasn’t working our or eating right. When I am in the groove I don’t need it. So the answer to your question is that it depends on whether or not I am doing the right things. 🙂

3. timewithlyme says:

You can also use all natural supplements to lower your blood sugars–grape seed capsules and mangostein are two natural elements that are proven to stabilize blood sugar. I don’t “look like” I would have diabetes–my weight has always been fine, but my pancreas is compromised, so I take natural supplements to help it do its job.

4. camcoogan says:

Thanks for answering the unasked question of why tuna for breakfast! 🙂 I enjoy tuna- more than sardines- but have been shying away from more than one or two cans a week due to the mercury levels. However, I recently came across some skipjack tuna at Costco which is supposed to be lower in mercury. Tried it and love the taste. I will still choke down the sardines but sure wish I could find a good recipe for them. Great job on the blood sugar and weight management!

5. virgobeauty says:

This may be an odd questions, but does it make you smell like what you are consuming. For example, coffee can add an aroma when not having enough water. Or pineapples can be tasted on you. Just curious.

6. I am trying to get off of insulin now. I can get my weight down but the numbers are too high for comfort.

• You have to work with a primary care physician as you work out and eat correctly. Your number will start coming down and hopefully your doctor can reduce the amount of insulin you take.

• I am working with my doctor. I am beginning to think I am in the middle of a RA flare which is making me more tired and achy. And my numbers g o crazy. I might have been cranky last week.

Oh my I saw those 2 cans of fish, and I had to scrunch up my nose, I could smell them through the screen on my lap top…..LOL but I agree way better than protein in powder….your doing great….kat

8. webbermd says:

Both types fish are delicious. Can you have anchovies on your pizza? Would a whole-wheat pizza crust made with honey instead of sugar be a able to be part of this diet? I would need my pizza and anchovies once in awhile.