The Obesity Code: Step 2 – Reduce Your Consumption of Refined Grains

Folates-not-folic-acid-for-flour-fortification-urge-researchers_strict_xxlThis appears to be a simple step but it is a little more complicated that it sounds. There have been foods that have always been a part of my live like bread. We always had a bakery in town growing up which has now been replaced by the bakery in our supermarkets. Cookies, donuts and cakes are hard to give up but the truth is non of these items are natural.

When we take a whole grain and strip it of all its nutritional value in its natural form then grind it down into a powder the only thing left is a product of carbohydrates that our body absorbs ultra quickly which in turn raises our insulin levels. Even pasta can cause these spikes and although I love my Italian food I must keep this at bay also saving meals like this for special occasions.

Carbohydrates are very important in a balanced diet and should come from natural sources like vegetables. I have to start practicing things like eating a large salad each day at lunchtime. At dinner I need to have at least 3 cooked vegetables on my plate versus just one.

It’s bad enough that I was putting pure sugar in my body each day and raising my insulin levels but when I throw in some bread at a meal and a slice of cake for desert it is just a recipe for disaster when it come to Type II Diabetes.

The old notion “Everything in moderation” simply is not true. This phrase should be replaced with “Everything that comes directly from Nature”. The truth is that if it is processed or produced you probably should not eat it.

Personal Update:
Yesterday I once again ate blueberries and pistachio nuts for breakfast. Today I will add a banana. Lunch was left over ravioli’s which weren’t the best choice for lunch. Dinner was Lamb Chops, spinach and 1/2 of a baked potato. Last night I woke up and had diarrhea in the middle of the night. This was happening to me last year while eating paleo. The only known association I can find in both cases is that I enjoy a few bottles of beer after work. I will start by cutting out the beer and see if it helps, if not I will stop at the health food store and seek out the best probiotic I can find and start taking it daily.

While I am not exercising yet I am finding that my body is continuing to drop. Since yesterday morning I dropped an additional 2 lbs. My morning blood glucose numbers also dropped this morning into a healthier range. Over all I feel good.
______________________________________________________________

This entry was posted in fitness, food, health, intermittent fasting, minimalist, nature, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The Obesity Code: Step 2 – Reduce Your Consumption of Refined Grains

1. A says:

Check out the book “The Perfect Health Diet.”

2. Keesha says:

Yes, many people don’t realize that wheat products are not good when it comes on to diabetes. Both my parents have diabetes and so I have to be extra strict and cautious regarding what I eat. I was pre-diabetic but since I have eliminated wheat from my diet, my blood sugar levels have been normal. I must admit that it’s not easy to stay away from wheat because so much of the foods I love are made of wheat. But it’s a sacrifice I have to make for my health. All the best as you reduce your intake of grains.

3. Thank you for writing about this book & your journey through it. It’s really inspiring. Great & optimum blood sugar level you have now, I believe you get a lot healthier and fitter. Great progress. I follow your diet to get significant progress like you & to be healthier & fitter.

4. Kim Smyth says:

Do you like red wine? Cabernet might be a better choice for you, since beer is made from wheat and that might be what’s causing your stomach upset. Red wine in moderation, is allowed on Paleo, as are vodka and tequilas, since they are clear. Giving up the bread was the hardest thing about Paleo, and sugar is the second. I use stevia, 100% maple syrup, and raw honey as substitutes, but got in trouble when I ignored the “moderation” rule and ended up with a yeast infection. That’s enough motivation for me to get strict again about even sugar alternatives like the ones I just mentioned. Of course, I never, ever eat bread, but do cheat with chips and salsa occasionally, and that had gotten too frequent as well. (And that, of course includes margaritas)! So, no more of them unless they are “skinny” for awhile either!๐Ÿ˜” Best of luck to you though, it sounds like you are on the right track!

• Thanks Kim. Yes, some things are definitely hard to give up, but I will give them all up for better health. I’m not crazy about red wine but I suppose I could acquire a taste for it.

• Kim Smyth says:

Oh you should, I can give you a couple of recommendations๐Ÿ˜Š
        Cupcake makes a good Cabernet, and Barefoot is good for beginners. Right now I’m drinking one called Dominant 7, but it’s pretty potent so many wouldn’t start with that.๐Ÿ˜‰ Enjoy a wine tasting somewhere to ease into it and please, let me know what you think!

• We have a ton of healthy vineyards here in Oregon. I will start looking into it. Thanks Kim. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Nathalie says:

In my research, I have discovered that exercise is fantastic for cell health at all levels as well as for mental health. Sadly, it does very little for weight loss… We often overestimate how much we burn in exercise :). This is definitely my case: a long walk and suddenly, I think every single item in my fridge is fair game lol. Another great post!!!

• Unfortunately you are right. The more we work out the hungrier we get. When we eat less we don’t have the energy to work out. I believe it’s all about what it is we choose to eat and when we eat it.

6. Grilled vegetables with lots of olive oil!!!

7. Great info, thanks for sharing! I’ve had a renewed interest in my personal health lately and find it so helpful to hear of others’ experiences as well. Keep sharing ๐Ÿ™‚

Interesting Billy…isn’t it funny how sensitive our bodies are to food….akt

• This so true Kat and this is why I am starting be believe that most of the health issue’s we face today are all related to the foods we choose to eat.

• New Journey says:

Me too…I know for a fact the white potatoes make my joints ache but a sweet potato is okay….Pretty much all yeast products are poison to my system…my sisters and myself, years ago came to the conclusion we were yeast babies…..my daughter is also prone to yeast sensitivity….but man I love bread!!!!