“Window Fast” Off

Hungry person hand holding fork knife on food plate

I have reached a plateau this morning with the “Window Fast” experiment and have decided to cut the project short. Basically I am eating a morning meal once again. The truth is that no fast can last forever and although I projected the project out to 30 days I find myself in a situation where I feel I am depleted of energy in just 6 days. This doesn’t mean that the experiment was a failure by any means. It simply means that I have reached a point where I can resume going back to a normal way of eating.

The funny thing is that for the first 5 days that I was putting my body into a fasting state each day I felt higher than normal amounts of energy then all of a sudden it dropped off on the sixth day. In reality what my body is telling me is that it has reached a point to where it is demanding more energy in (food) to match the level of energy out (exercise). Although I didn’t change my daily caloric intake my body reacted to the last 6 hours of the 18 hours where there was no additional energy to be drawn from other than stored body fat. Rather than continuing to pull from those fat stores the body starts slowing down to try to match the loss of calories available to utilize.

So today I will enjoy a day of rest and will resume with the exercise program tomorrow morning. It will be a fresh start as my body had learned once again to convert fat into energy and I should continue to see slow, continual fat reduction.

I am turning off the fast and turning on the fat burning furnace.
__________________________________________________________

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, intermittent fasting, life, minimalist, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to “Window Fast” Off

1. Your window fast experiment brought to mind a thought of mine from a couple months ago. I.e., why do we traditionally eat three meals a day? I’m 61 and relatively sedentary; wouldn’t two meals a day be enough?

You’ve been eating in a 6-hour window. I’m considering a 8-10 hour eating window: breakfast and then one other meal that day, around 4-6 PM. No snacking.

Younger, more active people keep eating thrice daily.

-Steve

• I think this can be accomplished a few days per week but maintaining over long periods may have certain consequences attached. Questions like how long does it take for my body to deplete the foods I just consumed? And, how long will my body maintain basic functions before slowing down to ensure survival? It does interest me though as studies have shown that people who have adapted to just one meal a day live an average of 10% longer than those who eat 3 times per day given all lifestyles are similar.

• “The Obesity Code” by Dr. Jason Fung is a book I just started reading. You may be interested.

I was wondering how Intermittent Fasting would affect the older person. So much of the research (to the best of my understanding) is normed on younger people. Technically, as we get older, we require less food/energy, but that’s tweaked somewhat by how active we are, and particularly our protein requirements to maintain let alone gain muscle mass.

3. Maryanne says:

I’ve been doing the intermittent fasting on and off and two months ago I got a horrible sinus headache, so bad I couldn’t even work (normally i can work through the pain). I went to the acupuncturist and he said the headaches were coming from my stomach and recommended staying away from carbs.

So, the past month I avoided bread, fruits high in sugar like bananas and basically ate paleo except for some occasions where I had beans or peanut butter. Well, best of all no headaches — ever. The first few weeks I was fasting and only eating two meals per day. THEN after a month and two weeks, my FAST METABOLISM kicked in overdrive and I started losing weight (which I didn’t want to lose, as I’m happy with my weight) and feeling hungry all the time! I stopped fasting, and even stopped exercising for a few days to level it off a bit … no luck, so I decided to just roll with it and eat three meals per day with healthy snacks like nuts and grass-fed beef jerky; and I’m still burning fat like crazy.

I guess when I see my nutritionist again he’ll have an answer for me. I’m just illustrating how things are constantly changing and you will probably always need to tweak the diet/exercise regimen.

4. Jenn Prime says:

I recently heard on the news that eating breakfast actually helps you lose weight. You are on the right track listening to what your body has to say. Like it or not, as we age things change for us in measurable ways. As long as you are paying attention, those changes can be handled. By the way-you got this.

5. It’s great that you know to listen to your body!

6. I eat 2 small meal a day, otherwise I get FAT. I have read a lot of good articles about intermittent fasting and it seems that many have success doing on and off again. Good you listen to you body. It could be it’s working, as that is why you feel weak and hungry, as you are burning what you take in. I think some pick one day a week or every other day is another one.

7. Pamela says:

Interesting! I fasted for 7 days once as a part of my faith. it was a very eye opening and spiritual experience that brought me closer to my creator. I had the opposite energy level experience though. the first 4 days were the worst, my body felt really depleted, but the last 3 days were a piece of cake in terms of energy level. It was also really good for detoxifying.

8. As a fellow faster, I appreciate all the benefits it offers both mentally and physiologically, and I love reading about the experiences of others. I was recently reminded of how acutely introspective and meditative it makes me. Conversely, I find it hard to “get shit done” while in these hyper-meditative, fasted states, so I try to balance this when my energy and motivation return after eating. I find fasting to be one of the greatest ways to get to know one’s self better, in both mind and body.

9. zirah1 says:

HA! I like that….turning off the fast and turning on the fat burning. I also like that it gave you a great opportunity to listen to your body about changing gears, regardless that the mind had planned on the fast going longer. Reminds me of yrs ago when I did the Master Cleanse that you’re “supposed” to do for at least 10 days. Well, I was doing great until day 7 when suddenly I couldn’t stomach the lemonade mixture and my body started going thru some kind of violent reaction. I was underweight at the time and already deficient in vitamins and minerals, so I think I just didn’t have enough reserves to go on. But I almost hated to quit because for the first part of the cleanse I felt so good. I think an important part of the health/healing journey is learning to listen to, appreciate and honor our bodies, regardless of what our mental body, some outside health authority, or research tells us we ought to be doing. 🙂

10. zirah1 says:

p.s. Thanks for the like at Self-help Health. Don’t you love that coconut oil is good for so many things, including help burn belly fat?

11. I didn’t lose weight at all using intermittent fasting so I stopped it after a 12 day experiment. I didn’t feel as bad as I expected to feel but it didn’t have any benefits.