The Cable Guy

comcastxfinityI mentioned earlier this week that I was switching from Dish Network to Comcast Cable or Xfinity as they call it. Yesterday morning the the Cable Guy shows up at exactly 8:00 AM as scheduled, was polite and skilled. I have everything set up for him to just plug and play away inside while he was installing the new service outside. He assisted me with setting up the new high speed internet and gave a wonderful presentation of using the new voice activated remote. Everything was set up in a little more than an hour. As we use Voyage for our landline service it was easy to simply plug their box into the new cable internet box and instantly get a dial tone.

I can say that so far I am very pleased with the whole package. I have everything set up in a small cabinet in the living room. I disconnected all of the devices that Dish had installed and called their service number to also find no difficulties at all cancelling my service with them. They are even sending a box to place all of their equipment in and ship back to them for free.

My average bill with Dish was $ 166.00 per month. I locked in on a 24 month contract that will cost me $ 109.95 per month plus taxes of 17.46. After 24 months the cost will go up to $ 149.95 per month plus taxes which will bring to what I was paying for Dish.

So overall I will be saving an average of $ 40.00 per month for 24 months which means that I will have a total of $ 960.00 to place towards the task of paying down my mortgage. Not too shabby for faster internet along with HBO, Showtime, Starz and Cinamax. Even though I don’t watch TV too often when I do I detest the whole advertisement thing. Having access to these premium channels means not renting movies which is also a cost savings.

I know that some of my Minimalist friends would tell me that I should have dropped all services other than internet and some would even tell me drop internet also and use the local coffee shop to get online. I cannot tell you that I have actually thought about that, but the bottom line is that while I am saving a great deal of money on managing to live a frugal lifestyle there are things in my life that I actually enjoy. High speed internet in the comfort of my home and some enjoyable entertainment is a part of that. We all make choices to reduce certain things in our lives, while it is equally important to enhance those things that bring us joy. And besides, I am not the only one who lives in our household and as everyone knows it is extremely important to find balance at home.

This entry was posted in debt, finances, growing up, life, minimalist, simple living and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to The Cable Guy

1. last paragraph tells it all. I think the same for myself. money is not everything and our choices can help use it effectively while at the same time we enjoy our lives

2. Sandy says:

Nice!!
    We can all justify what we want when we want it. If you decide you want cable there is no need to ‘justify’ to anyone.

We dropped cable/satellite almost 2 years ago. Freedom! We still watch movies or series we get from our local library for free. There is nothing quite like $2000 in your pocket at the end of the year.

And no, we don’t Netflix or stream (our internet is a remote (rural route) connection and doesn’t have that capability.

Cheers!

• Living in the rainy Pacific Northwest does bring about a great deal of “inside time” as it can rain for up to 9 months out of year. Feeling comfortable is important and we do enjoy being connected, although I would like you reap the benefits of being disconnected. As in everything it is a fine balance.

• I understand dropping cable. Since my kids are grown & gone, I did the same thing as you did. I’m paying around $55 for internet and $15/mo for the prepaid phone LG800.

• Sandy says:

I have one son still at home for a few more years. We are far more connected after dinner during the week and on weekends during the day. It’s been nothing but a positive impact on our family in a variety of ways.
        It was part of my back to basics plan which needed to include a reconnection with our household. We recently went away and there was tv available in our room. It got turned on, but I lost interest in about 10 mins or less and was off and out the door for better things to be done. On reflection I was very hapoy about that.
        Everything costs so much money these days. I’d rather put that savings from satellite tv into organic foods or further invest in our growing homestead. That’s just where I am. I’m not anti-tv it’s just not for us and I love it!

• I agree. When the rain finally stops here in Oregon I will rarely spend any time inside.

3. Balance is important, so it seems like a good choice to me. šŸ˜‰

4. Wm. Allen says:

I believe it is usually best to avoid extremes in either direction.

5. camcoogan says:

Awesome savings- $960 in 2 years. In 2 years, call Comcast and get yourself another money saving deal. šŸ˜€

6. CrazyKat1963 says:

I don’t know how Dish works, but we have Comcast and the only issue I have is not with the Premium Channels as series are usually readily available, even multiple seasons, but if you watch programming on other channels, like AMC, A&E, etc… and you don’t necessarily watch them regularly, but want to go back and watch previous shows or seasons, be sure and tape them as they happen with the DVR as Comcast is now charging for past shows/seasons of shows that you can watch for free when they are on or in season. For example, I was watching a series, The Americans, then went out of town. By the time I returned home and went to OnDemand to catch up (as I had not been recording the show), they were then charging to watch the show and it wasn’t on Netflix or anywhere else for free at that point. Of course I can watch eventually with my Netflix subscription, but not on Comcast without paying additional… for a show that was once included in my package. They are getting very creative with figuring out ways to up-charge people. For us they still provide the best service for the best price, but I learned this the hard way.

7. We pay WAY too much for our screens, but I’m not sure where to start or how to construct a package that has most of what we want. Instead, we buy about everything and pay many thousands of dollars a year for Comcast cable, internet & land line (yes, we still have one of those) AND Sprint Cell phones. Good you made a switch. This is on my list of things to rationalize in 2016.

• We have a landline also but get to right it off as an expense as my wife is on call all of the time. We probably pay way too much too but historically the arts have always been expensive.

8. Christopher says:

When I moved to the States, I was horrified at how much it costs to get TV service and so after some research, I got myself a Roku and with good internet service, I got my fix via Hulu, Netflix and Amazon. No, I didn’t get all the HBO, etc shows but I didn’t miss them as I never had them.

Now I’ve moved back to the UK, it costs me about $200 per year for a TV License which pays for the BBC services and with a Freesat box, I get 85 over the air channels. Again, I don’t pay to get shows like Game of Thrones but I’m ok with that.

Also, there’s much more competition with Internet providers. I’m on the basic 17mb service which is costing me $11 per month. When my contract expires in 9 months, I’ll move to whoever is offering the service at the lowest price.

9. Xfinity has very strong routers-got much sicker after it came into my area. I know many who have had the same issue and some who have had to move, as I did. It’s not easy to disable either as it turns itself back on. I had their service for phone and net before it became a wifi hot spot and they got very ugly with me for spending more than 2 hrs a day on their supposedly “unlimited” phone. disable people need more hours than that. I switched companies and filed and FCC complaint, but they said nothing can be done. They too will up your rates to the sky after your promo period is up if not sooner. Seems to me that all the telecom companies are greedy and underhanded.