More Thoughts on Homelessness

homeless-gerald2“In now way do we want to contribute to society. We don’t want to work, we don’t want to be responsible. All we want is to free to remain homeless, continue to do the drugs and overconsumption of alcohol of our choice and depend on society to provide it. We have rights too you know”

Unfortunately this is the deep seeded feelings of the people living in the world of homelessness. As compassionate people most of us want to make a difference and reach out and help our fellow citizens who have fallen. How in the world do you help someone who doesn’t want to be helped? Here on the West Coast of America the problem is growing and it seems that their really is no answer that makes too much sense. So we continue to feed their habits and lifestyle and just hope that one day we are not a victim of many of the crimes they commit to feed their habits and lifestyle?

Drug addiction is a disease that can be treated only when the individual decides that enough is enough and seeks help. Mental Illness has been moved from the institutions to the streets of downtown. Violence is the reaction of desperate people who are trying to get their needs met.

We would certainly not tolerate the threat of another country’s invasion of our way of life, yet we are tolerant  our own people who become a threat to our way of lives in our very own neighborhoods.

Bad things happen in this world of ours and many end up reaching bottom financially. They seek something better and usually find the help they need. We are a giving people. Charities develop things like temporary housing and help people find a job. It happens each day. They help the homeless.

The problem is where the line is drawn between homelessness and lawlessness. Homelessness has a cure where lawlessness does not. The drug itself can be overwhelming and most will never find their way out of feeding their addictions. Without intervention we will only continue to wait for the day that we are personally robbed, our house is broken into or our car is stolen.

This frustrates me each day as I know the answer to beginning to address this issue. As I have worked behind the walls of a prison I can’t count the thousands of people who explained to me that if it weren’t for them getting locked up they would probably be dead from drugs. It is only when someone is removed from their current lifestyle of addiction that healing can begin. The drug has to be replaced with hope. Where their is no hope there will be no recovery.

Many organizations insist that an outreach program is the answer. I disagree. As long as their is the possibility to attain the drug most will find a way. No, we need to create a mandatory three year program of isolation from the drug. A positive program that replaces the pleasures of drugs with the pleasures of working and learning. Some of the best drug counselors we have are those who have lived the nightmare itself. We have the opportunity to help those in need become the one’s who teaches others of the tragedy of being addicted.

As for the mental health issues walking the streets I need not address this issue to closely as I simply feel that our country has turned their backs on them. We decided that institutions where cruel, but I ask you how much more cruelty is involved in sending an ill person out into the world without proper guidance. Pick the homeless camp of your choice anywhere across America and you will always find a few who suffer from mental illness and end up the victims of both physical and sexual abuse from those who suffer from drug addiction.

When people with addictions scream out that they have the right to live homeless it pretty much the same as them saying “I have no choice, I have to feed this addiction”. I don’t know anyone in the right frame of mind who doesn’t seek better for themselves. It is only natural to find ways of making our lives a little better.

The problem is that their is not a solution. The real problem is that the real solution is expensive.
__________________________________________________________

I ended up not working out today as I felt I needed a day off. This is OK and I will pick up where I left off tomorrow. Sometimes the body needs what the body needs.

This entry was posted in blogging, camping, family, finances, fitness, growing up, health, life, minimalist, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking, work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to More Thoughts on Homelessness

1. madisonstath says:

Love your insight on this topic. I especially like your idea to replace the pleasures of drugs with pleasures of working and learning. Addicts are searching for something, but they don’t know where to find the things that will satisfy. You also make a really good point that it is cruel to let mentally ill people wander through their lives with no guidance. Thank you for this post!

2. thoughtful remarks. i too hope we will take more steps to help those in need.

3. Have you heard of Dolci Liberta? It’s an award-winning chocolate factory located inside an Italian prison. Dolci Liberta’s mission is to rehabilitate prisoners (they are also paid) by teaching them how to make some of Italy’s finest chocolates and pastries, and in turn give these people the opportunity to turn their lives around.

Chocolate: What a sweet and inspiring thing it is.

• kkeevins says:

Little ZB: Great response, but I’m diabetic, so I can’t even open that link! Thinking about it is freaking me out. Chocolate is obviously my drug of choice.

Fabulous idea, though, from the Italian Prison System! Brilliant. Thanks.

• It is a wonderful idea. Because of many lawsuits throughout the years prisons in the US cannot be involved in any type of profit driven industry. They labeled it “Slavery”.

4. kkeevins says:

Bill: I could cry. I detest this topic, I should say THESE topics. As a country, we’ve done a terrible job in these areas. Addiction and mental health issues are still taboo. Can you imagine?
    2016 in the United States of America! I remain disappointed and horrified, but still praying for a change. Thanks for bringing it all to the forefront of our minds. (You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown)
    🙂
    –Kathy diaryofadedicateddiabetic.wordpress.com

5. Dede says:

Not everyone who ends up homeless is a drug addict or an alcoholic or someone who just doesn’t care. Take someone like me. I was a faithful wife for 30 years and can’t get a job, so the only place to live is in my car. Friends don’t want to know the truth and the courts don’t care either. The fact my ex is a sex offender didn’t make a difference. There are lots of us who would love to work but if we did get a job how do you live on $7.50/hr?

• It’s sad that you can’t find any type of assistance. And your ex is a POS for putting you in this position. I wish the best for you.

• Dede says:

It would help if he was aware his behavior was known to others

• My ex gets 1500.00 each month from the retirement fund and and additional 480.00 in alimony and she is the one who cheated. What State do you live in that after 30 years you are entitled to nothing?

• Dede says:

I live in Texas. How does your wife manage to live on $1980 a month? Does she live in a slum? I didn’t work for 30 years so I haven’t been able to find a job and my ex makes $300,000/yr. He has disowned his daughters because of the choices he made. He lives with his “Christian” girlfriend and her kids in the $625,000 house he bought. It’s a nicer house than he ever provided for us. I get $2000 a month but it is not enough to pay rent, make a car payment, pay for car insurance, food etc. you can forget about health insurance even Obama care is $500 a month.

• Divorce is horrible and brings about so many ill feelings within us. It takes time to restore our lives to what we feel is comfortable. I know the hurt I felt over the betrayal was tremendous. It took a long time for me to come to the realization that my life can be better than it was before. When I finally settled down the most wonderful woman in the world walked into my life and even to this day we love our life together. This is hard to explain to one who is still in pain. I remember I didn’t want to hear anyone’s advice. The one choice that I made was moving from the expensive life in New Jersey to a more affordable one in Oregon. I find great peace here and have pretty much become a minimalist. Hang in there Dede. Good things will come your way.

• Dede says:

My guess is you were employed and had been for a long time. I also bet your standard of living changed little. Nothing has gone my way since even before the divorce.

• I actually worked a position for two years after retirement earning just 13.50 per hour.

• Dede says:

Oh and I should mention that is retirement money.

6. facetfully says:

The last sentence pretty well sums up the problem.