Kindness Goes a Long Way

The old man driving in front of me is driving so slow that he is going to make me late for work, I didn’t know he just came from a chemo session. The barista is anything but cheery and taking her sweet ass time making my coffee, I didn’t now she just lost a child. The waitress just couldn’t get our order correct and acts like she doesn’t even want to wait on us, I didn’t know she just dropped her son off at rehab. This list could go on and on and on, and I am sure that you could come up with a few yourself.

Each one of us deals with shit at times in our lives that challenges our very souls. Life is not perfect and sometimes all of us at times need a listening ear or a kind word help us realize that we are all in this boat together. Hard times came make us feel like we are isolated and all alone when the truth is that most folks believe that they just don’t have time to deal with other peoples shit.

As humans we all live our lives based on a daily agenda. We progressively rush through each task so we can move on to the next. We don’t like anything to slow us down as we are checking things off of our task lists. When we come across that thing in our way we tend to try to move around it, push it out of ways or just run over it.

There is never a reason to be rude to another. We don’t even have to say rude things as we are showing it in our body language. But their are many who just right out say it. “Hey, lets go! I’m gonna be late.” “I don’t have time for this.”

While life doesn’t slow down we certainly can. Too many obligations, tight schedules and things we feel we need to get done can set us on a rollercoaster where we forget even the basic practice of being kind to one another.

As life passes by and we look back at those special times in our lives it will be those who reached out to us in our times of trouble who we will think of. We have that same opportunity right now to be those good memories to others.

The single mother who doesn’t know how she is going feed her children tonight. The man who just lost his wife and doesn’t know which way to turn. What can I do, what can I say? We certainly cannot fix all problems but there is always something we can do or say that can make the difference.

We all need to slow our lives down just enough to recognize that at times we are called to be just a small special part of another’s life. It’s not much, but what would happen if many people starting acting this way.

What is your agenda? Where do you have to be and what do you have to get done today? Do you have to time today to make someone smile?

You never know what someone else is going through as we all tend to hide behind the many masks that we wear. Why not simply be kind to everyone.
__________________________________________________________

Bowflex- SHOULDERS
Shoulder Press- 120- 30
Front Raises- 30/30- 12
Side Raises- 30/30- 12
Shrugs- 220- 12

I raised the bar just slightly on weight in my shoulder routine today as I feel my muscles are getting a little more comfortable with the challenge. I am slowly making my way back.

This entry was posted in blogging, body building, family, finances, fitness, food, growing up, health, life, marriage, minimalist, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Kindness Goes a Long Way

1. Catherine says:

“Hard times came make us feel like we are isolated and all alone when the truth is that most folks believe that they just don’t have time to deal with other peoples shit.”

Yeah. I’m going through some emotional hard times right now and I do feel isolated. I’m facing the harsh reality of ageism and it isn’t good. However, it won’t stop me from being kind to others. Very, very nice post. Thank you!

• I just turned 55 yesterday and starting to understand that life is changing. I have moved from phase to phase throughout my life and come to the realization that I must embrace this next phase. I look forward to all of the joys and happiness life has to offer. Sometimes we chose to be self isolated and at times this is OK. When we realize that there is a big, beautiful world out there we take those baby steps to get past our dilemma. πŸ™‚

2. Pamela says:

We need to be reminded of this each day. Its so easy to assume and make judgement calls. I have done it in the past myself. This was so well written. Thank you.

3. Kim Smyth says:

Great post! We all need to follow your advice and remember that it takes more energy to be angry and hateful then kind and thoughtful. We should slow down and consider what someone else may be going through instead of being so self centered and only worrying about where we have to go and what we have to do. I myself have been guilty of this multiple times, thanks for reminding me to always put myself in other’s shoes!

4. Perfect advice! We have a busy “state highway” street that runs through our town. It is rumored that no one ever smiles while driving on that road, because of it’s busyness and the fact that everyone is trying to hurry to one place or another. I have vowed to be the one person who smiles while driving down that street! And if you need to merge…come on in. I’m hoping a little kindness can be contageous!

5. So right. Many is the time I have found myself thinking WTF at other peoples behaviour and only occasionally do I check myself and winder if they are actually having a shitty day. I try more often now but human nature is a tough one to break from.

6. What a timely post! I hope everyone follows this advice in one form or another…
    I truly believe that happiness is a shared experience. If all it takes is a smile to cheer up a stranger’s day, then why not try to pass on a little bit of cheer. πŸ™‚

7. malakisabellana says:

A horrible feeling when you can’t remember the last time you made a difference in someone else’s life, or a simple act of kindness. Great post.

8. Kart Korral says:

when I worked at a nuclear plant, we were all trained in aberrant behavior. We were taught that when somebody acted weird at work there were all sorts of reasons. Could they be sick? Was it a reaction to prescribed meds? Were they abusing illegal drugs or alcohol? Did they have a serious mental issue going on? There was even a possibility there was a problem at home (illness, fighting, divorce, etc). Some people carry their problems to the workplace.

reading your post, makes me made as I have seen people be so rude to workers for no reason other than they feel entitled….it is so true….the sooner people understand its not all about them, that the person they have in front of them is also a human, with feelings, troubles, dealing with life…not just there to meet there needs, and every whim they have just because the are paying them, of course they are at a job and must work, however it doesn’t give the person in front of them the right to treat them in a disrespectful manner…..no matter what position in life someone is, we must share – kindness, respect, dignity its all so easy to give and show another person…a smile, a handshake, it take a mirco-second to acknowledge someone….sorry I am ranting….great post Billy….people just make me mad!!!! kat

10. kkeevins says:

SO true, Bill! Just READING your post made me relax, take a deep breath and drop my shoulders down. It’s 8:15 a.m. here, so what am I all tightened up and tense about? You reminded me to pause and be grateful that I’m able to drive to where I’m going. I feel better already, and I didn’t even know there was a “problem.”

I’ve been practicing small random acts of kindness, but you reminded me how valuable they really are — packing for the cashier, giving up a close parking space to someone else. No-cost good deeds, right? What could be better? If you don’t mind, I’d like to put an important one out into “your universe.” Tip, tip, tip! I look at it this way, if I can’t afford to leave the waiter/waitress a decent tip, then I should be eating at home! I call it “gratitude money” — I don’t have to do that for a living, and I’m grateful for that. I’m slightly prejudice, because my niece had to wait tables to survive, and she had triplets waiting at home for her after her shift. She depended on that $$$. You pointed out that, you just never know…

Thanks. You’re post was filled with REALLY important reminders.

One more thing —- “what’s a “shrug?”

• A Shrug is holding a weight bar in both hands down in front of you and lifting is straight up using only your shoulders to do it. And yes, tips are very important. I always base mine on 20% but sometimes give more.

• kkeevins says:

Ok — so, there will be NO shrugs in my life. Lol! I shattered my humerus and have 11 screws and a plate in my left arm. I went to PT for two years and still do exercises for it, so that I can do basic daily tasks. Do one for me!!! πŸ™‚ We learn something everyday. Thanks.

• We will just shrug that one off. LOL

11. facetfully says:

Well said and I think the picture is great. The masks of life…we all wear them, at least sometimes. Great post!

12. Ashley says:

Great post. I’m turning 36 in a couple days, but am realizing more and more that we need to not take each day for granted and it’s important to smile at that stranger walking the other direction whenever you can.