The Difference a Week Makes

UntitledThis week seemed to just blow by and I find myself sitting here on a Saturday morning once again. Today will mark the completion of the first week of practicing this new workout plan that I have put in place and I am proud to say that I am already seeing progress. My body weight has decreased almost 4 pounds and my morning blood sugar tests have come down under that 100 mark and sometimes even in the 80’s. I am already starting to feel healthier and stronger although I feel more tired in the evenings. The good thing is that I am also sleeping better at night because of it.

The total round of this routine where I get through all exercise takes two weeks, so at this point I am just half way through. With continued efforts both on exercise and mindful eating I look forward to where I will be next Saturday.

What I am seeing thus so far is that my blood sugar numbers are lower after the days where I am walking rather than lifting. I will keep a closer eye on this and consider blending in just a ten minute walk before lifting weights on my lifting days.

Practicing control over the food I eat each day is getting easier, although I have cheated a few times. The difference is that instead of cheating with a donut I am cheating with a yogurt, piece of fruit or an all natural health bar. I have found that KIND bars are my favorite. Other days having a cup of hot tea is all I need. During these times I think to myself about what I just ate during my last meal and conclude that it was enough. I realize that what I am feeling about wanting to eat a snack is not real hunger and I am able to brush the thoughts from my mind. This is working well for me and I have also found that moving after a meal can help. A few times this week at work I felt this way and decided to walk up and down three flights of stairs to get my blood moving and found it to work well. If I am at home I can always take a walk or hit the treadmill for about ten minutes.

I have been lifting very light for my capacity while doing higher reps. This will probably change over the next 6 months to where I will lift heavier weights and less reps, but for now it is important to get my muscles out of “couch potato” mode and bring them back slowly to a point where I risk less of a chance of injury. I see too many people start a new workout routine and go into it too hard and end up damaging a joint or muscle. Slow and steady always wins the race when it comes to working out.

So, overall I am pleased and proud of my small accomplishments that I have made each day during this week. I can give myself a good pat on the back and tell myself, “Stay strong, and move on”.

For those of you reading posts I write like these one’s, I don’t want anyone to think that I am teaching a lesson. I am certainly no expert in the fields of diet, nutrition or exercise. These posts are my way of writing things down for my own self encouragement.
________________________________________________________

Bowflex- ARMS
Curls- 45/45- 20
Hammer Curls- 45/45- 20
Tricep Pulldowns- 35/35- 30
Dips- 220- 20

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, minimalist, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Difference a Week Makes

1. msgt3227 says:

Bravo! Looks like a great week for you!! I find in my diabetes management that a good week like this is a wonderful self-motivator…

2. msgt3227 says:

You said, “What I am seeing thus so far is that my blood sugar numbers are lower after the days where I am walking rather than lifting.” I find the same thing, and I also see the same thing with walking versus running! I confess I would have thought running would have had the greater impact on my blood sugars, but nope, it is the walking for this old body….

3. Your posts are a beautiful reminder of all the ways we can step into our best lives. Sometimes we fall. Sometimes we stumble. But eventually we all rise above the challenges in our lives. Thanks for sharing your journey! I am so proud of you! You light the way for all of us working hard to live our best life.

4. Kim Smyth says:

I agree with both you and Dr Dinardo! Also, I find the Kind bars the best as well and always try to get the ones with 5g or less of sugar, those usually have the lowest amount of carbs too. Have a great day!😀

5. jespidi says:

I will always find super interesting what life is like for someone older than me, because you learn a lot. Tho, I am very glad (even being new reading your posts) that you have been doing very well and that you are feeling better, because…THAT IS the most important. I have a question: Maybe you are trying some recipes without sugar? Or you just put a very small amount of it?

By the way, great post!

you are an inspiration….I am having trouble at night….my old habit of wanting to go to bed with a full tummy is a hard one to overcome…I am stronger that the urge…..thanks for the encouraging post and glad your feeling the differences….kat

7. camcoogan says:

Thanks for posting about your health journey. I find it very motivating. I can read all the studies but nothing is a powerful as a real-life example of how exercise and healthy eating really do improve health.

8. I can’t imagine what it is like to be diabetic but I have a few friends who try to manage their symptoms with varying success. I wonder how us ‘normal’ people would cope. I’m not a snacker and regularly skip lunch and then blow-out at dinner – I’m sure that’s a definite no, no for you. I guess it’s good to feel that you are able to win, by degrees, instead of it winning over you! Amanda 🙂

• It is a challenge but I have learned a great deal about taking care of my health because of it. I quit smoking, exercise and pay attention to what I eat and when I eat it. If I would have learned these things a long time ago I may have not developed Type II Diabetes. Amanda, it is amazing to discover all of the healthy things in life. I have even managed to deal with stress which can reap havoc on us humans.

• I agree. I don’t think you can eradicate stress; we need it to push us a little, but we do need to reduce it. That’s why we moved to a rural area where we can walk every day and not hear the traffic. I have friends in the rat-race who don’t know they are in it yet. Glad you know where you want to be x

• The country is a lovely place to live.

9. pamkellstrom says:

Ever hear the song, “when I grow up I want to be an old lady”? Well I didn’t think I’d still work out so much at 65, but my health is best when I lift 3-6 days a week. Split it up; back & chest/ arms & shoulders/ legs/ core, all on different days. The other days I ride my bike, hike, or rest. When I take a week or so off I can really feel the difference. The truth is I really hate exercising, it’s just result driven.