Nothing is Everything

hqdefaultWhen someone asks what you are doing it is most common to answer that question with the word “Nothing”. It is a a key word to let someone know that they currently have no plans and their options are open to whatever suggestions they may have. The truth is that very few people are actually doing “nothing” as we all live pretty busy lives with days filled with things to do. In essence what we are saying is that although we are actually doing something currently to fill the void of time there is something else we would rather be doing.

But there are a small group of us who at time enjoy “nothing”. We like having the time to do absolutely nothing at all whether it is sitting in the yard watching the grass grow or sitting in the house watching the paint dry. Understand that these times don’t last very long as too much time spent doing nothing could drive one mad, but the simple fact that we can find this type of time each day is remarkable.

I have learned through the practice of being minimalist that I have more time like this. No schedule and nothing that needs my immediate attention allows me to cast my thoughts on doing things that I really enjoy doing. We all have those things that we love to do even if it’s just relaxing and reading a book. We often hear people say that they have to make time for certain things, but I feel that by reducing the amount of things that we actually do each day naturally opens many pockets of time for the things we love.

Productivity breeds success and all of us must contribute into being productive in our lives but there is a disease called over-productivity where many feel that they have to be productive all of the time. From the time people wake up until the time they go to bed each minute is scheduled out and they find themselves constantly battling time. With a small break in the action of their busy schedules they think about the things that have to get done rather than think about the things they would like to do. Trust me, life was never meant to be lived this way and I see too many who proudly wear the badges of success eventually fall to poor health, divorce or even bankruptcy. Success in itself is not a bad thing but if acquiring it becomes more important than spending time with with loved one’s or even alone then any sense of balance is lost. When you are dead from a heart attack at 42 all of your accomplishments pretty much mean “nothing”.

Success can not be calculated in monetary things because the value of your own life means so much more than that. It is only through the relationships we have with others that make us successful. The people closest to us are what makes us successful. Love is an exchange and for those who don’t have the time to give it rarely receive it. I couldn’t imagine living in a world without love.

The next time you receive a phone call and asked the question, “What are you doing”? remember to simple answer “Nothing”. To the caller “Nothing is Everything”. Make the time to do “Nothing”.
______________________________________________________

No work out today or tomorrow and will be starting new workout schedule on Monday.

This entry was posted in body building, finances, fitness, health, life, meditation, minimalist, nature, simple living, type II diabetes, walking, work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Nothing is Everything

Believe it or not one of my favorite pastimes….doin notin….really gives your mind wonderful places to go….love the post….and its Saturday…I plan part of it for doin notin!!!n kat

2. Cally says:

It was my husband who showed me the pleasure of doing nothing. I now seek out opportunities to sit and do nothing. It is so rejuvenating and l highly recommend it. Lovely post. Take care Cally.

3. Remember the poet, WH Davies: What is this life if full of care We have no time to stand and stare? He was a proper minimalist, the self-styled Supertramp.

4. If you don’t know the poem, mon ami, look here: http://www.englishverse.com/poems/leisure , Will

5. I believe that a trend towards mindfulness goes hand in hand with minimalism. What you are really doing is just being present in the moment, being aware of what’s going on, and taking some time to breathe! There is a lot to be said for getting rid of “busyness!” Best thing I’ve started doing on the Voyage! Taking some time to just be…

6. Jenn Prime says:

I am glad to see you express this-you are sometimes intimidating in your efficiency. I find it easy to take moments of serene beauty every day, but it is an advantage, living in such a naturally beautiful environment. This is the space where you find the philosopher in you…and in that time when your conscious mind wanders, you open the door to the beauty and wonder that spill onto your page later.

7. suzewannabe says:

One of my favourite things in the world is to sit at a cafe, have a coffee and watch the traffic and people go by.
    I don’t care about seeing all the architecture in the world or tourist spots.
    Cafe, drink. I’m good.
    Even at home, sitting out on our patio, talking about life, watching traffic, hearing sirens.
    Doing nothing beats a death march vacation any day.

8. Good post sir. The part your mentioned about success was interesting. Following an itinerary everyday may set one up for success but I would die of boredom doing the same tasks every single day. I think as humans we are meant to go off the road map a bit to keep things lively.

9. kkeevins says:

Agreed.
    Brilliant.
    Thanks, Kathy from:

Diaryofadedicateddiabetic.wordpress.com

10. Mick Canning says:

Excellent. The best thing that you can do is to schedule ‘nothing’ say, next afternoon at three. And about ten minutes beforehand put everything aside, and go and find somewhere (hopefully pre-planned) to just sit and do nothing for an hour. Bliss.

11. Thank you for the like on my blog! Glad that it led me to yours… Very true; we all need some space and time for solitude – a moment simply just to be.