The Beast is Coming out of Hibernation

jNG3EIt is so hard to get back on track with an exercise routine when you spent the last 3 months taking time off from it. Most people who read my blog understand the reason why I don’t work out in the winter and for those who don’t the reason is that I just don’t believe in it. I believe that winter time energy should be held in reserve for other things like sleeping a little longer and fighting off any foreign invaders to the body.

But now I find myself in a situation where much of the fat that I gained throughout the winter is becoming uncomfortable. The days have been a bit warmer in the February month and I feel a constant nagging to find my way back to fitness. I made several attempt in January to get the ball rolling, but then pulled back as the temperatures dropped.

This morning I dedicated 30 minutes to pushing myself through a high intensity walk on the treadmill and I now sit here with the feeling of exhilaration. From this day forward I will do just the same routine that will spark the flame and lead me to the next step.

It’s so difficult to remember how I felt just months ago where I had the energy to jump out of bed in the morning and look forward to getting my body moving. I will regain this feeling again in just 21 days of rigorous walking for just 30 minutes each morning.

Some of the signs that pushed me back were small rises in blood sugar, feeling like I am completely depleted of energy at 3:00 in the afternoon and looking forward to time on the couch. All of these signals are alarms going off in my head telling me that it is time to come out of hibernation and slowly and carefully allow the beast inside me to awaken.

Treadmill- 30 Minutes

This entry was posted in fitness, health, life, minimalist, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to The Beast is Coming out of Hibernation

Welcome back, Beast! Time to come out of the cave an hunt prey. šŸ˜€

2. Can’t help but wonder if reduced lighter exercise would not be helpful in the winter months. I would think it would have the health benefits, without using too much energy.

3. You last longer than me on the treadmill! I’m at about 20-25 minutes but hope to eventually work up to 30 minutes. I’ll get there someday.

4. facetfully says:

Interesting thought process on reserving energy in winter. It seems totally logical to me, but I think the exercise is probably very beneficial to mood and metabolism, as a comment noted abive. I shudder to think how uncomfortable I would be without any exercise. At the same time, I generally feel resistant!

5. bears hibernate. people aren’t bears. therefore, people don’t hibernate. use it or lose it

6. WeeManMike says:

Working with the seasons is a good thing I guess.

I’ve always been the opposite though. I prefer working hard over the colder months and then going easier in the warmer months, fitness wise.

Food wise, I’m the opposite, easier (less) in the colder months, and harder (more) in the warmer months.

But then I lift weights partly for aesthetic reasons and I find that during the colder months I cover up to keep warm etc more often and so I work harder at my fitness to build myself up.to try and look my best for the warmer months.

Then when it’s warmer and I’m wearing less clothes (partly to show off my new fitness) I then go easier fitness wise and enjoy more of the bountiful food that nature provides in the warmer months!

Us humans can be so different huh! (^_^)

Nothing wrong with letting the beast out…just keep him on a leash! It’s easier to exercise in the spring when it gets warmer. I’m waiting patiently when I can get back outside and walk versus doing it inside.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr glad to see you back at it…I need to get back on the gym wagon myself, however I seem to be getting a good work out right here at home…..LOL

9. kkeevins says:

Bless you for this post! I live in the Northeast, and we’re getting killed, weather wise! It’s brutal, and exercise is so far from the forefront of my mind that it’s not even funny. I tried. Really I did. A few weeks ago, the weather was warmer (practical tropical!), so I walked the mall. Religiously, at first; then, it died down. “IT,” meaning my commitment! I’m pretty disgusted with myself, it terms of exercise, right now. But — thanks for your post. Coming out of hibernation is a great way to look at it.
    –Kathy
    from: diaryofadedicateddiabetic.wordpress.com

• Take you time Kathy. This is a waking period where we start thinking, and getting excited about getting out of the winter and anticipating the spring. It is also flu season. Our bodies are not ready for full workouts yet, but a few setups, pushups, a little walk and some stretching is probably enough to take away the guilt.

10. I know exactly what you are talking about. What I did was use the treadmill and stationary bike for the last two months. I enjoy your blog, it’s real and I can identify with it.