Minimalism can be Hard Work

HardWorkAheadSign_thumbThere seems to be a false belief that minimalism is all about easy living. It is true that it leads to a life of less stress, but when it comes to work folks who live this lifestyle work just as hard as those who don’t. The difference is that us Simple Living folks understand the value of our hard work. We direct our hard earned money in a direction that allows us to pursue a life that becomes much easier, less burdened life.

We save money, we pay off debt and find affordable solutions to living like living in a smaller place, or purchasing smaller homes that we actually can afford. On the weekends you won’t find us hanging out at the mall, but you might find us hiking or cycling a great natural trail. We drive older model vehicles and make sure that when take them out that we are making well planned routes to make the purchases we only need do it once. We share rides to work or sometimes take our bicycles when the weather is right. We pack our own lunches and brew our own coffee. Sometimes we gather and share food that we actually prepare and also share in good conversation about things that really matter to us and not just about those things we watch on TV. We discuss the struggles of life and also our successes. We teach our children the value of money and how it will become their responsibility to master it one day. We prefer the fresh vegetables from our own gardens over store bought ones and love canning them at the end of the season.

And most importantly we work hard. We go to jobs or work our own businesses with a positive attitude as we know that there is great reward in out hard work. Each dollar costs us a little bit out of our limited time here on Earth and understand that time is money. Just like we value our time we also value our money and make hard decisions about how to spend it.

When we do make purchases they are built around the question, “Will this bring value to my life?” And then we wait and think about it for a few days before we actually purchase it. We have a limited amount of clothing and need only those things to wear that fit into our lifestyle.

We live by the way of a budget and stick to it as we understand that if we don’t control our money, someone else will.

We go to work each day with an attitude of gratitude even knowing that the day ahead may be tough, the rewards will be enough to manage the little world we live in.

I write these things today because I see too many young people confusing simple living with doing nothing. Building and establishing a work ethic is of utmost importance as it has always been since the dawn of time. There are great lessons to be learned through the process of earning a living and without those lessons it is difficult to discover your own creativity that leads to becoming a part of society that contributes to the whole. When we find that we really love building houses or baking bread we also discover what lives in our very souls. We are all part of each other in a sense and living outside the community is not only difficult on our pocketbooks, it is also difficult on our souls.

Everyone has the need to be a part of a group. Maybe this is why we see so many young people finding refuge in being a gang member. Even when choosing to be rebellious the need of community still exists. Even in the thought of standing out from the crowd and being different we tend to be attracted to others who are also different as become part of something.

To my young friends, get up early, go to work and learn to find peace within yourself. It is the starting point of life in this world we live and won’t be long before you find the path you are meant to be on. When you see it you will know it and will connect with some pretty interesting souls along the way.

This entry was posted in debt, finances, food, fun, growing up, hiking, life, minimalist, nature, primal, simple living, walking, work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Minimalism can be Hard Work

1. Kim Smyth says:

Great post and good advice worth passing along to my own kids! Some things are better explained (and listened to) by someone other than their own parents!

So true!! I wish people would not say how easy my life is because I choose not go buy the newest phone or gadget and owe up to my neck…or get jealous when I can go do something I have planned for 6 months or more. I live my life so I can do things that make my life better and I am ready to help anyone get there if they are willing but it falls on deaf ears most of the time. People just want to live in the moment.

• A twitter world we live in. Too much stuff, too much information but too little time to reflect on our own happiness and the life we were truly meant to live.

• geekkat says:

My husband and I were talking about a similar subject and as much as we both hate to admit it…most of the next generation really do not have that bright of a future. Maybe they will wise up…one can only hope.

• I do hope they figure it out. There are so many articles out there describing them as a wasted generation.

• geekkat says:

Yeah I have read those same articles and it is such a waste. But there are a few that are trying and those I hope will be the ones to take over in the future.

• It is in those few who may help to inspire the rest that there really is a bright future ahead despite what they are being taught by many outside influences. I know that for me it took some time to get it all figured out and maybe just maybe I never did. But I have learned to surf life pretty well and become an important part of the world I live in. So I believe anyway.

• geekkat says:

All about having faith and hoping for the best in everything 🙂

3. writeintent1 says:

Very nice and relevant article ! i am also trying my best to live a life based on these parameters.

4. Noddfacrafts says:

Reblogged this on Noddfacrafts and commented:
    This is so very true!🌍

5. I smiled as I read this; my shoulders ache from goat milking, my hands are singed from stretching the mozzerella, and I have about half an hour before milking time rolls round again…and I wouldn’t live any other way 🙂

6. I love your statement “Building and establishing a work ethic is of utmost importance as it has always been since the dawn of time.” I wonder how many people would take a detour if they saw the sign at the top of this article? Great post!

7. caldosorriso says:

Great post and wise advice. I’ve noticed that too, everything you mentioned. ♥ It isn’t as easy as I thought it would be. I’m glad I found your blog.

8. True and relevant advice. Thank you. 💟

9. You, sir, are singing to the choir. But isn’t it sad that it sometimes takes us until we are much older to come to an understanding of what’s really important in this life? On our Encore Voyage, the hubs and I had our Minimalist Epiphany, sold our property, and started pursuing a much simpler dream. We often think, “If only we had known then what we know now!!”

10. jjbart5 says:

Here’s to you! 🙂

11. Wonderful post. These are definitely my philosophies too and you have articulated them beautifully.

12. Connie says:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas about simple living! I am not over fifty, but, learned many years ago that if I don’t take care of my body, mind and spirit, none of those things will be there for me later in life. We currently travel the world with one carry-one. my husband and I exercise daily, and walk in nature daily as well. PS. I love how you include your daily workout at the bottom of each post! It is so inspiring!
    Best Wishes
    Connie

13. Camille Workman says:

I m also realizing this minimalist thing is hard work and can be quite a process! It’s the small moments and day to day decisions that I am trying to focus on. I m a generation (or two) behind you but I know I want to model this for my children in hopes they take a morsel or two for themselves. Thanks for sharing!

14. sarahlearichards says:

Reblogged this on Nobody Doesn't Like Sarah Lea.

15. sarahlearichards says:

I like to say I am too broke to not be a minimalist, but seriously, this was a great post, especially about well-planned purchases. We have X many towels, and we only buy a new one when one is too ragged to use anymore except for cleaning rags. We have two sets of flannel sheets for the winter, and two sets of cotton for the summer, which works out great, because one set will be in the wash and a fresh one will be on the bed. Just little things like this make our small house seem big. I don’t even buy DVDs anymore.