Charity

No man needs charity other than the opportunity to rise. When seeking a hand out and there is none it is then an understanding of survival allows for a man to discover that change is inevitable.

The problems created by compassionate charity is only complicating the problems that exists within the subculture who’s existence was created by “losing one’s way”. The answer must be discovered in opportunity to dig ones self out of the hole that was dug and begin to rise up once again.

Real charity begins with returning choices to the individual who seeks to eat each day, sleep in warmth and enjoy the safety that living in a society provides. No man earns this without some kind of exchange of energy between giving and receiving.

I don’t know all of the answers, but I do know that there is much work to be done.

This entry was posted in debt, emergency, family, finances, food, life, minimalist, simple living, work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Charity

In Judaism, giving to charity is seen as a greater benefit to the giver than the receiver, because it is a way for the giver to elevate him/herself in response to God’s commandments.

2. I don’t know all the answers, but I always give these guys food if I have it.

3. Living In Denim says:

In this day when we brag about how advanced we are every man, woman and child should have a roof over their head and food to eat. I don’t know the answers either but I’ve witnessed programs that allow the homeless to help themselves that do work but unfortunately are only available in a few areas.

• There is a homeless shelter where I live that does exactly that – it helps families find jobs or keep their jobs, teaches them about budgets and helps them find housing they can afford. Typically a family stays there three months but exceptions are made if it takes longer. It’s a really awesome program but I wish there were more as it can only house 60 people max and usually fills up.

• Living In Denim says:

That is a great program. I lived for a while in the 90s in Albuquerque, New Mexico where the homeless had an underground newspaper they wrote and sold. The first time they took papers to sell they were given credit which they paid back once the papers were sold. After that they used their profits to purchase the papers. The shelter kept their money safe and they had receipts for their money. When they had enough the shelter helped them to locate a job, and housing. The shelter also matched the savings they earned from the sale of the papers to help with the deposit on the apartment. An added bonus was that their newspapers were more informative than the mainstream papers so I looked forward to purchasing one every week.

• I’d buy something like that if I knew it was helping out the community!

• I believe that the last count in our area was well over 100,000 homeless. Each day more and more are arriving via bus from all over the country. It is out of control. People have a false belief that Oregon is the land of promise only to discover that without a plan they quickly find themselves caught up in a subculture that only leads to drug addiction and homelessness.

great food for thought…if I see people out on the street before I go shopping and especially if they have a dog…I but a couple sandwiches and juices for them and a bag of food for the dog and a treat….one way I can help…I wish I could do more….kat

5. calensariel says:

Isn’t it a shame that we DO have all the right questions about important things like this but we can’t find the RIGHT answers?

6. mommermom says:

I think we need to each do or contribute how we best can. I don’t like to turn anyone away if I have the opportunity to help. This is a really hard choice for me because I spent many years working in the social services system and watched the failure of the system creating its own kind of poverty amongst the working poor, the poor, the uneducated, the mentally disabled, and the unemployed. I observed much abuse of the system and a lack of understanding and compassion from powers on top. Change needs to be made. We can’t wait for governments to make changes, we need to treat each person as an individual and do what we can.