Seeking Refuge from Noise

defaultAs the world around me seems to be getting louder and more demanding of attention I find great comfort in sitting down to a hot cup of coffee in the wee hours of the morning and transferring my thoughts through my fingers onto a computer screen. I have always had problems directing my thoughts inside while listening to things that go on around me. This also includes reading. The bottom line is that I at times I need complete silence.

Silence is simply the absence of noise and allows my mind to internalize thoughts and spur my creativity. I wonder sometimes if this makes me different than most. I see people around me all day with earbuds in their ears listening to whatever or folks continuously involved in conversation. It seems to me that most embrace noise and the input of outside intervention into their own minds as a stimulation. I am certainly no stranger to external stimulation and understand that the world around me also fuels my idea’s and thoughts, but does the TV really have to be playing all day?

Sitting down and writing anything whether it is a blog post, another chapter in a book or even a detailed report at work calls for moments of silence for me. I wish there was a way to simply turn off the noise, but being that listening for disturbances was an important part of a career I once worked for 22 years I believe that I may have become programmed.

Many people suffer from internal chatter where it is the mind that never shuts down. Thought after thought keeps firing from the electrical grid from the confounds of their minds. I believe that many writers and others who are highly creative suffer from this and maybe this is why there is so much substance abuse in the area of creativity. I have times where it seems like my mind will not shut down, but believe it only happens during the period of natural monthly cycles because I find that two weeks later I find myself at a low period where their exists very little desire to be creative at all.

I have learned the great practice of meditation but find that even this is not possible for me unless the external noise is somehow shut off. But meditation is more about directing the energy of internal noise and offers me little balance.

For me finding silence in just a few hours of the early morning while the world still sleeps has become a habit and maybe a source of peace that allows me to get through the noisy day. It is my time to re-evaluate life, balance finances, pay bills, workout and of course read and write. It is my little refuge of silence where I can truly discover the things going on around me through news sources on the internet and give intelligent thought to what I have just read without the intellectual bias of a bobble head telling me what they think it means or the aftermath of a loud commercial pushing my thoughts aways from what I just heard.

The question that exists is that with so many seeking noise constantly is it not normal for those of us who seek silence? When I go on vacations I am always seeking quiet time in nature while others seek a busy day at an amusement park. I prefer a hike in the mountains over a day in the city. I like open space over crowds. I love the Simple Life and for me noise is just not a part of it.

This entry was posted in blogging, debt, family, finances, fitness, health, hiking, life, meditation, minimalist, nature, primal, simple living and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Seeking Refuge from Noise

1. I live in a city and it always surprises me how people on a bus, for example, not only talk loudly, but they talk about things that would have been shocking years ago. They relate the most personal details even about their health that I don’t want to hear but am forced to listen to. I am with you! I crave quiet!

2. Jenn Prime says:

As a fellow fan of the wee hours, I mostly agree with your need for silence when writing. There are two exceptions in that for me. My creativity also flows when surrounded by the sounds of the natural world-the waves coming in and out, the birds, the wind in the cedars…and sometimes in music with no beat. My writing day starts at four am. Since we both live in the same time zone, I enjoy the thought that you and maybe even others are also hunched over the screen, trying to bring our thoughts to life on the page. Nice to share that space of time with you.

3. Kim Smyth says:

I’m sure we could all benefit from an hour or two of productive quit each day! I can’t write with noise either, just can’t concentrate and focus! It’s not going to kill me to miss a little tv, or even learn to meditate, in fact, it might be exactly what I need to be more productive each day.

• It’s so much better than waking up know that you have to head out in just 30 minutes in a mad rush. I even leave a little earlier to ensure that I have a peaceful ride to work without worrying about being late.

4. facetfully says:

Your morning routine and your 5ime I nature ARE your meditation. I, too, crave the quiet times.

5. I love my silence. In fact, I need it to stay sane. Totally with you on this.

6. This could not resonate with me more! I too relish the early hours of the morning, while the the rest of the neighbourhood are still tucked up in their beds. It feels like my private time to reflect and get stuff done, as you say. Usually, however, if I’m out and about walking I am never without my headphones, but this past week I found they agitated me. I felt uneasy not being able to hear what was going on around me, and from nowhere I noticed anxiety arise at the ‘business’ of having music blaring in my ears all the time. There’s a definite energetic requirement for stillness in people right now, I feel…

• A time for music and a time for silence. On my drive to work I listen to my favorite podcasts but sometimes I drive in silence. Walking can also be a form of meditation where we can peace in a silent morning while still hearing the birds above.

I love the early mornings. My husband usually leaves around 4 am to go to work, so I am already and most of the time cannot go back to bed. So I use that time to prepare myself for the day…whether it be to get the kids’ schoolwork ready or get things prepared for my job from home. I love those couple hours between the time hubby leaves and the kids get up.

8. cherylfoston says:

Great post! Nothing beats silence…

9. I need my home to be quiet. Sometimes i like loud music, but the rest the time I need quiet. The last place i lived had a blaring train. it really wore me down bad. Some nights there was no going to sleep until 8am! The big issue w/ where i am now is the crazy helicopters that get on a bender-I so hope that will not happen too often.

10. My quiet place is the car – I love being alone with the radio off there! It makes the commute less stressful for me.

11. Mandy says:

I, too, love complete silence. I’m ultra-sensitive to noise. Even a few birds in the early a.m. and that’s it for sleep…My daughter lives in the busy downtown, all night sirens, garbage trucks, drunken yelling–sleeps right through it. Maybe that’s what keeps me from traveling…earplugs don’t work for me…
    Well, thanks for your thoughts–I’m glad I’m not alone πŸ™‚

Ahhhhh the wonderful sound of quiet in the forest, or beach….to listen to natures own song without any input of another human….nothing like it….good post…kat

13. As I have aged I have found that I like quiet more and more. I sometimes prefer the wireless to the TV and I could not even consider writing the words I write if there is any noise going on around me, requiring quiet in order to vocalise my thoughts onto paper.
    When I was younger I needed loud noise, I needed stimulation visually and aurally but now I am happy to take the moment and be quiet with myself. I am quite fortunate, where I live is a quiet place nearly all day long so shutting off does not require the wee small hours.
    Great post Bill, made me think about what I like when creating πŸ˜‰

I like getting up in the morning when it’s still dark outside and everyone else in the house is still asleep. There’s something peaceful about the low lighting and hearing the heater kick on, knowing it’s warm in the house while it’s frigid outside. Then I drink a cup of coffee and slowly prepare myself for going to the gym to workout.

However, when I write or edit, sometimes the silence is a little too oppressive, so I need to have some music. Nothing with lyrics. A few good jazz charts always seem to satisfy.

15. Jentodd says:

I see myself all over this blog. Funny thing (not funny at all) somehow I ended up married to a chatty, singy someone who likes perpetual background noise such as tv and music and interrupting silence to “share”! Ha! After 35 years I think we’re striking a balance:)

16. Maybe you’re an HSP, like me? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highly_sensitive_person

Tend to be creative and sensitive, introspective types. Noise is one of the things that bothers me most, and I have a busy commute to and from work, and noise all day at the office, so I’m trying to make a concious choice to have more quiet time to think, read and meditate after a busy day.

17. caldosorriso says:

I was smiling the entire time I was reading this, nodding in agreement 😊. The one exception for me is that sometimes the same peacefulness is achieved when I’m around really kind and inspiring souls πŸ’–. But I definitely loved the part where you describe the wee hours of the morning 😊. That is my favorite time to write :), when the rest of the world is asleep and it feels like you and your pen and paper (or computer) have no limits 😊…

18. Lori Carlson says:

Wonderful reflective post! There are times where silence is a must for me too. Usually if I am writing a person journal piece where I need my own thoughts or seeking out *gap* moments which can only come in silence. However, if I am writing poetry or fiction, I must have music playing, usually heavy metal or alternative. If I am reading, I enjoy classical music playing lightly in the background. And when I go to sleep at night, I must have my wind-machine on (it sounds like a fan blowing) – it’s the only way I can drown out my own internal conversations. My mind is usually going 100 miles a minute and it takes a lot of practice to slow and quieten it down. Meditation is also hard for me, but I attempt it every day anyway.