Darkness breeds Darkness

darkness-4OK, I have to admit that lately I have been in quite a writer’s slump. I think it may as simple as a seasonal condition with living under the clouds each day as we make our way through winter. Darkness breeds darkness and my thoughts lately have been wrapped around the fact that America may have lost it’s way.

Violence on our streets, homeless rates never seen before since the great depression and the mentally ill walking the streets. There was a time in our history where the cost of taxation was just about 2% of our income. People gave freely and helped those in need. Now we give through force or threat to a government that assumed the role of addressing these same problems, yet I never see any change.

The stock market is plunging once again and no matter what you hear on the news, good jobs are still hard to come by. The cost of healthcare is sky rocketing and I am getting old.

Through all of this darkness I still see a beacon of light through the distant fog. I live a nice simple life and am intelligent enough to understand the world around me. No matter what the world will always be the same. But it is me who finds joy in each day and understanding that by spreading this joy I can slowly change the world if just one soul at a time.

It is perfectly fine to think dark thoughts at times. Finding success is a matter of moving as quickly as possible from these thoughts and re-discover all of the positive things in our own little worlds in which we live. There are always more positive aspects of our lives than there are negative ones. In the darkness of winter there is a seed what waits upon the dawn of a new spring to push itself up through the ground in which it lays and grows into a magnificent flower.

This entry was posted in blogging, debt, family, finances, flowers, health, life, minimalist, nature, primal, simple living and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Darkness breeds Darkness

1. jncthedc says:

You describe the reality of life. Balance is an important word that describes a healthy state of existence. To have balance, one needs to experience both dark and light. The goal is to create a state of balance that favors the light.

2. Kim Smyth says:

Being in the dark affects my husband the same way. Isn’t it amazing what a little sunshine can do to our well being and state of mind? Good reminder also of trying to find the positve and turn away from all the negativity. Btw, I don’t mind the occasional cloudy day but too much of it gets boring afer awhile.

3. queasypaddy says:

Ireland is not much different. Keep on keeping on !

4. det-res says:

Such a well written post, to remind ourselves of the reality in which we live. True everything you say. However we live on hope. That is what keeps us going.

5. Lack of sun was an issue for me too. I have brightened since I left NM. It took time. No sun the first week, but now it’s out everyday. Makes a BIG difference if you are sensitive to it like me. Corporate greed has bred a society of zombies. It helps too to be further out away from population. Roosters sound better than boom boxes! You seem to be on a path to self reliance-think that is a big part of happiness, though it should not have to be, but it’s the way it is today.

6. Mandy says:

I sure relate to this, Bill. Especially this week of nothing but dark clouds and rain. I actually experience not wanting to get up in the morning (like I have that choice!) but that’s how bad it feels. And instead of wanting to go for fitness walks and little hikes, I stay indoors, struggling to write, yet my mind goes to all those places you mentioned: what’s wrong with the world…I’m hanging on to the words someone told me when I moved to Oregon 45 years ago (and try to remember each year): “If you can make it through the winter darkness you’ll wake up to the most beautiful place on earth…” And I know we must stay busy! 🙂

It’s a hard time of the year…whether it’s because of the weather, because we eat the wrong foods, or it is just emotionally draining. We just have to remember winter does not last forever and spring is just around the corner.

Spring is just around the corner….sun, green gardens, trips to the warm coast of Oregon….as far as the rest of it, I too, have no answers and just shrug my shoulders and wonder when will it get better…..kat

Thanks for sharing this Billy, definitely these are very interesting dark times for most people, but every cycle has an end. This is happening not only in America but everywhere. So it is time to look forward for the bright side about to arrive. Thank you!

10. Jade Olive Sage says:

Go with the creative flow. I would love to write on a daily basis but it just does not happen that way. Perhaps one day it will flow like that. Better than quantity is the quality of your writing. I truly enjoy following your blog. I learn from the things that you write. Thank you and go with the flow.

Winter is an extremely hard time of the year for me. I was so blessed to be with family and friends in November, December and part of January. It truly made a difference.