The Practicality of a Folding Bicycle

k2-_266f31ab-cb7f-47eb-9419-66b42e5ecf54.v2With an average commute to and from work each day that brings me close to two whole hours spent on the road it would be foolish to believe that my vehicle would not break down. With this in mind I always make sure I have certain things in place like an emergency road kit and a AAA membership. I make sure that my cell phone is charged and have a charging kit inside the vehicle just in case I need to charge my phone. I keep on eye on my fuel gage religiously and make sure that I don’t run out of gas.

Even with all of that I have still been in situations where I have run out of fuel or the vehicle has broken down and I have found myself walking to try to find a gas station or even a cell phone signal. I don’t need to tell anyone who has ever been in this situation that it truly sucks.

k2-_29cf9958-1468-48ac-ba3d-74a318dcf852.v2With this in mind I have been looking at purchasing a folding bicycle that I can stuff into the trunk and utilize if I ever needed too. With prices as low as $129.95 at Walmart there really is no excuse not to.

So what plays out in my mind before making this purchase is the question, “What if I never have to use it?” So I have thought about other situation where this bicycle would come in handy. Driving into any big city can be daunting when we are trying to make it downtown. I usually end up fighting traffic to get there, fighting other vehicles for a parking spot and paying up to $2.00 an hour for parking. It may make a hell of a lot more sense to find a free parking space just a mile away and ride the bicycle into find my favorite spot that I come to the city for. It would also be a useful tool for riding around a local park to take in a little exercise and fresh air. Maybe on a quiet Saturday morning I can take a cruise around the neighborhood.

Another area where it would really come in handy is camping. I do love to visit our National and State Parks and many offer small camping stores and shower areas. The problem is that most times I find myself camping a great distance away from these area’s. It would be fantastic to simply pull out the bicycle, fold it open and ride to grab a shower in the morning. Another interesting point is that the size of the bicycle is universal, meaning that you adjust the seat and handlebars to your size. This means that anyone in the family can use the bicycle if needed.

With the addition of a helmet and saddle bag I believe this would make an excellent investment into both my emergency equipment and also and everyday transportation vehicle.

This entry was posted in adventures, emergency, family, hiking, life, minimalist, nature, simple living, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to The Practicality of a Folding Bicycle

1. Maryanne says:

I love this! I have a great story. When I was single and lived alone I always took mass transit and walked. I got rid of my car and went without a car for 13 years! (Then when I moved in with my husband, I had to get a car because our home is too far from mass transit). But, I’ll tell you, I was in the best shape of my life, from ages 30 to 42, doing all that walking (and those are the ages most people gain weight, I had the flattest stomach!) Even for pleasure, I’d take the Port Authority to NYC on Sundays and walk from Port Authority, down to the East Village — and back!

So, all that said, I just LOVE hearing similar stories! Thank you, Bill! 🙂

• Very inspiring Maryanne. 🙂 For a few brief year I too would live by way of the bicycle and was in the best shape of my life. The burbs can take a tole on our health.

• Maryanne says:

That’s so true! With all the parks around us, we really need to take more advantage. I ride my bike A LOT and have been up until November since we’ve been having beautiful weather in New Jersey. But sadly a friend died and I can’t bring myself to go the park anymore. Since I’m self-employed and she was retired, I’d always run into her. I tried to go to the park, on my bike, and just couldn’t do it, knowing I wouldn’t see her. So now I’ll wait until spring when I’m stronger. (Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack your post!)

• That is sad. Grieving is tough but I am sure that you will be riding in the spring and your sadness to turns to love out of the appreciation of the time that you treasured with your friend.

• New Journey says:

she wouldn’t want you to stop going to the park…she is there waiting for you, you just can’t see her….

2. When i usedto to take the train intoI the city of Philadelphia to work, there was this gentleman who would get on the train with his folding bicycle. Just about every day. I’m assuming he didn’t work that close to the train station; so he didn’t have to fight terrible city traffic or pay those exorbitant parking fees.

3. My daughter and I use folders frequently. We even completed (in slow, slow time) a stage of the Tour de France this last summer, but the beauty here in UK is that they can be taken on trains and buses free of charge, if folded. As a senior citizen, my off-peak bus fare is zero. Take yours on the bus, if allowed, and you’ll save the cost in no time, even if you pay full fare for yourself.

4. jameskadado says:

Nice Article! Check mine out if you’d like, thanks! https://bowtiejames.wordpress.com

5. Terri says:

I definitely saw people using folding bikes as their method of commuting when I was in Boston. I can’t believe you found one for so cheap, though!! Wow! I have been thinking of methods of transportation for this summer, so thank you so much for writing about this! Definitely a great idea and great for your health too.

6. Jade Olive Sage says:

I love it! Preparedness is priceless.

great idea Billy….I sometimes wish I had a bike at the parks as we strive for parking away from the facilities….and the other way to look at the reason for purchasing it is, you pay for AAA and don’t use it all year…why not have another safety measure in place whether you use it or not…its all about precautions and taking care of you….kat