We are Talking Water (part 1) Water

drop-of-water-261860-640One area of my garage is dedicated to just water and it is probably the largest of all of the area’s and rightfully so. Humans can live without food for up to 3 weeks, but just 3 days without water we start to break down.

It is a huge part of our lives and survival would just not be in the cards without it.

– We drink water to survive
– We wash with it and brush out teeth with it
– We cook with it
– We use it to eliminate our waste when using the bathroom

My water preparations for 30 days include the following:

Water to be Stored
6 – 5 Gallon Water Jugs filled with fresh water
30 – 1 gallon jugs
4 – cases of 16 oz bottles

Drinking
1- 30 day supply of Iodine tablets
1- 30 day supply of chlorine tablets
1- Inexpensive water cooler (to mount 5 gallon bottle on)
1- Water Filtration System

Bathing
1 – 55 gallon rectangular storage container (bath tub)
1 – Large bottle of gentle baby wash
2- 5 gallon buckets (to preserve bath water or grey water)
1- Outdoor camping shower kit

Toilet
1 – 30 day supply of toilet paper
10 – large containers of baby wipes
2- 5 gallon buckets for additional grey water

Cooking
1 – Dish Pan
1- Dish Pan with rack
2- 2 gallon pots
1- Large container of dishwashing detergent

Water Collection
1 – Large water resistant Tarp
5 – 5 gallon buckets to collect and save rain water

As you go through your day and really think about how much water you personally use each day the number will amaze you. Try it one day for yourself and you will soon understand the value of this commodity.

This entry was posted in emergency and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to We are Talking Water (part 1) Water

1. MrFireStation says:

How long does (store bought) water stay “fresh”?

2. kimberlysmyth says:

Great post, couple of quick questions-1) In case of power outage, how does water filtration system work? Is it just one of those by the pitcher Brita type and 2) are you really doing this or is it all hypothetical right now. I mean, you would have to have a separate shed or 3 car garage to store all this stuff wouldn’t you? Just curious, very thought provoking post!

• A Berkey filter is considered the best on the market as far as water purity and it operates with no power at all. There are of course other great systems out there and I am not endorsing Berkey. This whole thing situation is just hypothetical and I am using what I learn and know to paint a scenario that will help me to develop an actual plan. I have been practicing preparedness for a few years now and do have many things set aside just in case, but nowhere near the point where we could survive 30 days. I have installed a few wall racks with 4- 8 ft sections attached so I have plenty of room to store all the supplies and equipment I will be discussing. This spring I will build a small shed in the yard for other supplies like gasoline and propane which I will discuss in upcoming posts. This is just one big experiment into learning exactly what it will take to make it through 30 whole days of grid down. My hopes are that I will receive enough comments and suggestions from my readers to help guide me, exactly like you are doing right now. 🙂

• kimberlysmyth says:

Awesome idea, reminds me of all the Y2K talk a few years ago. Now that I am in a new home and we haven’t set up our garage yet, this gives me ideas as well. Maybe I can set up a corner or some racks myself and prepare a space too. I live in Texas where the threat of tornadoes is real, I just moved back after living close to the coast-there, it was hurricanes, luckily, in the 5 years we were there, we never had to deal with that. Here, springtime is rough and we’ve had a few close calls with tornadoes. Lots of people need to read your blog and start preparing as well. It certainly can’t hurt to be prepared! One other thought is that Mio liquid would be helpful to squirt in your water if you are concerned about stale taste. Another is dehydrated food kits you can buy online. I look forward to more posts and we can share ideas!

• Thank You Kim. I will look into Mio liquid.

• kimberlysmyth says:

It should be on the same aisle as water in Walmart and there are cheaper knock off brands as well!

3. suzewannabe says:

If an emergency happens, it’s not gold people will be buying, it’s water.

There’s no creepier feeling than post disaster and empty shelves at the grocers.

Post Hurricane Ike was really scary. Looters. People acting funny. Empty shelves. Long gas station lines.

Shudder.

4. Lori Carlson says:

This is an excellent plan! Indeed, I don’t think many of us realize just how much water we do use on a daily basis. Looking forward to more updates 🙂