Winter Slump

couch_potatoIt has been a while since I posted anything about my health, my diet or my exercise routine and for great reason. I have pretty much gotten into a funk with the whole program. I still eat healthy but have been adding a lot of garbage to my daily diet, my sugar has been steady in a good range and I have gotten on the treadmill once in the last month and a half.

So what are the results of this? My body weight has increased 8 lbs, I have given more attention to my current position of employment and I am studying more. I have to admit that I have been much happier but I also know that if I stay on this path it will surely lead to problems down the road.

I know that all I have to do is get on the treadmill for just 30 minutes 3 days per week. One of the biggest reasons for the avoidance of getting on that treadmill is that it has been pretty cold out in the garage early in the morning. I know that I am now working outside each day and doing a lot of running around and know that I have been burning more calories this way than I was working behind a desk all day.

Sometimes it becomes to easy to lie to yourself and actually believe it. The truth is that the early morning workout leads to less of a desire to eat stupid foods during the day and also provides me with incredible energy that helps me get through the day. I know this happens from time to time to the best of us I anticipate getting out of this health funk soon. I have been thinking a lot about this and I decided that it was time to write it down.

I am by no means a couch potato like the picture you see above as I stay constantly busy. And besides I am not a big fan of TV. I will find my way out of this slump before I start turning into a picture of the average American male over the age of 50. This is not me.

This entry was posted in fitness, food, health, life, minimalist, simple living, type II diabetes, walking, work and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Winter Slump

1. If it’s cool in the garage, you could put on a sweater

2. Susiewoo says:

I *so* know what you mean about lying to yourself. I started to get really good at it and now I’m cross with myself for fooling myself again. Personality disorder pending … 😐 I am working on it!

3. Single Mama, One Income says:

I’d put on a sweat shirt and walk on the treadmill. Layering up will burn calories too because your body will try to keep warm plus the sweatshirt will force you to sweat even more getting rid of toxins from your periodic junk food lol.

4. I have been in a slump myself until recently. My walking group is fizzling out due to the colder weather and it’s been hard to stay on track. I decided to fight this by joining a gym. It helps keeps me accountable, I make an appointment to go there at least 3 times a week. This doesn’t work for everyone but it certainly helps me:).

5. I know exactly how you feel and I am presently right where you are. Let’s get moving again! Thanks!

6. Mandy says:

Thanks for your honesty, Bill. I am struggling, too. And my treadmill is in a nice upstairs room! I think these gray, rainy (did I say FLOODING) days in Portland pull me right down into the storm drain! (Before I had the treadmill I blamed that I couldn’t get out because of the rain…Maybe we should start a Check In Daily group where we all post what we did that day. Okay, you start 😀 We can’t give up!

7. When you have dogs and it’s raining you have no choice but to get out and it’s fun. We often say that if we didn’t have dogs we wouldn’t be half as active! I wish you luck…motivation is hard for many reasons, especially if you are beating yourself up about weight. It becomes a vicious circle. Concentrate on getting your mood up and the exercise will follow :))

8. Yep, it happens to the best of us. You’ll bounce back. Staying healthy is a habit for you by now. You can do it!!

9. Bluebird4UDaily says:

Now that you’ve posted about the lack of energy to workout, you’ll be more active in your future.. That’s my Christmas wish for you and your health.. More power to ya !

10. It happens to me too. I get one thing going and the other slides. If it were me that treadmill would be in the house, where I could play treadmill videos in the process.LOL

Well hello….I just happen to check on your site and here you are…I was actually coming by to whine at how much I miss reading your post….perhaps part of your slump is your missing us!!
    I am to tired to go to the gym…packing and all that crap…LOL you know how I bragged about down sizing before, how we were cleaning out….well I am not sure what we were cleaning out because we still have an awful lot of “stuff” for no better word…at least the stuff we aren’t sure about we can store up stairs or in the office….but really liking the look of de-cluttering ……and I do have enough crap for another house…LOL good to see you back on here….just get your arse up and on the treadmill….don’t even think about it…just do it…..xxkat

12. Carrie Spate says:

Hmmm. You said you’re happier right now? Maybe I misread. But for me that’s one of my own cues for whether or not I’m on a good path. I get that life can’t always be indulgent gratification, sometimes we have to work hard. But balance is important too. That pendulum can swing too far in both directions 🙂

• And the pendulum keeps swinging and life goes on. I love to try to discover just one thing each day that brings me joy. Winter is what winter is and your are right that we have to remain in balance with nature and accept things for what they are.

13. Sometimes I feel that I’m on a very long plateau when it comes to the health benefits of exercise, but oh boy, I now see that stopping isn’t an option! How did the weight do with Christmas ?