A New Career for a 54 Year Old

Good news has come my way yesterday with the offer, and acceptance of a new career position as a Code Compliance Inspector with the City I have been working security for. I am very excited for many reason in such that I will have a new direction and career path to travel in. I love to learn new things and this job is right in line with many of the responsibilities I had as a Law Enforcement Officer without the the stress of being locked inside a Maximum Security Prison. The fact that I will be earning a little more money also excites me and will allow us to get even closer to reaching a point of being completely debt free.

But most of all it has returned a confidence within me that I thought I had lost because of my age. One of the reasons for this is the fact that I am just 11 years away from the age where I can start collecting social security. I can imagine that other reasons are many people believe that our minds are not as sharp as they used to me, we are less ambitious and tend to not want to work as hard. I can understand all of these thoughts as I have seen many who fall into this category, but for me I have not changed too much from the way I felt 25 years ago.

I don’t like tooting my own horn, but there are not a lot of folks in their 50’s making much of an attempt to do much at all to work towards even helping themselves when it comes to their own health. I know that most of my readers do not fall into this category, but take a look around you at those of us even just in their 40’s. I have conquered my own health dilemma and do those things each day that make for a stronger, healthier person. I will also do these things in my new career to become the best I can be in my field.

Understanding that this position is only a limited term position and will come to an end on June 30th of 2016, unless it is extended or funding is made available to make this a permanent position I will be striving to accomplish much in the next eight months. I will not only strive to learn everything there is to learn about this position, but also seek out the education I will need to get the certifications I need to move forward in case it does end. I will have to be well prepared to be well qualified to make a move it necessary.

Although I am very excited about the job itself, I am more excited about the opportunity to make a career change as I love to learn new things. OK, enough about the job.

What is going on with my blood sugar? Pasta for dinner last night once again is showing it’s ugly head this morning in my blood test. I ate well yesterday, but went overboard at dinner time last night. As I continue with my workout plan I understand even more now just how important it is to stay in good physical health. I will take pride in representing the City I will be working for as a fine specimen of a healthy and happy individual who is ready to take on the responsibility of of providing communities with the level of comfort they deserve.

Meals
6:30 AM- Oatmeal, Banana
9:30 AM- Protein Shake
12:30 PM- Chicken, Broccoli
6:30 PM- Fish, Spinach

This entry was posted in body building, debt, finances, fitness, food, health, life, Oregon, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to A New Career for a 54 Year Old

1. kimberlysmyth says:

Congrats on the new job! As far as your diet goes, maybe it would be helpful for you to try zucchini noodles instead of spaghetti or whatever regular pasta you are using. Just use a spiralizer on the zucchini and put your hot tomato sauce on it. It is delicious and addicting, I for one, love it!! Give it a try and let me know what you think.

2. nexi says:

Great news – congratulations!

3. Congrats. And sometimes we do need to toot our own horn (like that phrase) without feeling guilty for those times we recognize our achievements, but to do so with humility (ah, there’s the catch).

4. Tom Rapsas says:

Did I miss a post–what about the move to Tampa? Still happening?

• No we have changed our plans when we learned that there is a possibility that the kids might move away from Florida. We decided to just sit back and enjoy the Pacific Northwest and save the move one day for a permanent retirement situation.

5. Congratulations! My husband is DM2 as well. We changed to a plant-based diet in June. His sugars are now in 90s even when he eats pasta. Or next stage is to lower the fat and move more. Neil Barnard’s and Engine 2 made it pretty easy. Can you recommend an author for the debt free journey?

6. hippyish says:

Toot toot!! Congrats on the new job! Sounds super exciting! You are an inspiration to me; although we do have an age gap – I’m in my thirties – I have a LOT to learn about the future for myself. Seeing someone like yourself make awesome changes, continue to learn, and take control of your health naturally is amazing!

Speaking of pasta — have you ever tried Dreamfield brand noodles. I used to eat them a lot on the Atkins Diet. I read that it does spike some peoples blood sugar, but not all. Since I am not diabetic, I didn’t measure mine, but it didn’t seem to make me gain weight. They taste just like pasta. Just curious πŸ™‚

• I always eat Dreamfields and love it. I usually don’t spike like this, but I must admit that I did go a bit overboard. It makes me happy that I inspire you, but I have learned just as much from people who are younger than me. It’s amazing when we don’t set constraints on wisdom because of differences in age. You are pretty awesome. πŸ™‚

7. Yay! Congratulations on the new job!

8. hippyish says:

Thank you πŸ™‚ That’s true – age is just a number, after all!!

9. Bridgette's Digits says:

Congrats on your new position. You and I are the same age and from what I can tell… We’re both sharp as ever! LOL ~Bridgette

10. facetfully says:

Great news! I have been out of the loop over the summer and wondered, indeed, if you had moved when I saw this. Reading the comments, I see you are sill in the NW…also my neck of the woods. Congrats! I enjoy your posts…a nice blend of info, interest, life…and a little horn-tooting doesn’t hurt now and then! All the best!

11. Suzi says:

Congratulations on the new job! That’s awesome!

12. So excited for you! Maybe this experience will transfer well when you move east. I hope so. Enjoy the journey, its a big part of healthy living.

• Thank You. We have made the decision to stay put in Oregon for a while yet as we don’t believe that the kids will remain in Florida in the future. We decided to make the move for our grandchildren, but at this point we are satisfied with just not making a hasty move just yet.

Whooo Hoooo great news Billy….I am very happy for you….good to shake it up…nothing like a new position to get you going….you will be great at it and our shine them all….I am sure they did not realize they hired a beast disguised as a man…LOL I love the thought of zucchini noodles…I have using spaghetti squash but its still high in carbs, for me anyway, and I also love shredded lettuce in stead of pasta….have a great day…kat

14. Good news Billy, congratulations on your new post!

15. Very inspiring to keep evolving in career, health and life. Great news!

16. Nathalie says:

I was wondering also about Florida… Well, seems life has way of steering us in the right direction even if it is not what we thought it would be :). Cheers to you and new exciting challenges!

17. congratulations on the job and another step towards your goal!

18. Joanne Fralick says:

Congratulations on the career change! It’s always exciting to start a new job. I’m trying a career change as well but no luck yet. Have to keep moving forward.

19. Congratulations, this is great news! Always keep that fire of life alive! Age doesn’t mean a thing when you cultivate such hunger for life

Congratulations!!! Very happy for your new found adventure!! age is only a number…you’ll be great!!

21. mrperkins says:

I am so happy you have the new job. Good for you, and the very best of luck in this new endeavor.

22. I changed direction a few years ago (it’s not quite a “career”) and am thoroughly enjoying myself – good luck with the new job – study seems to be a good way to roll back the years.

23. Traci-Ann says:

Congratulations on your new job! πŸ™‚