A Day of Decluttering

willliam-morris-quote-via-pinterestIt was a positive day in the world of minimalism as I managed to fill two more boxes of stuff for the upcoming yard sale. I anticipate filling many more before I feel that we will be ready to have just the minimum we need to make this move to Florida. Many things went in to trash and recycle bin as I went through items in my garage. All the paperwork for the furnace, hot water heater, garage door opener, refrigerator, stove and dishwasher went into an empty kitchen drawer for the new owners who ever they shall be.

I am questioning every single item all the way down to pencils and pens. I factory reset our old android cell phones and will sell them. The Nikon camera is 5 years old now and as I use my iPhone for all photo’s I take I have decided to sell that too. Basically if an item has been sitting there for more than 6 months and I haven’t even thought about it, I probably won’t think about it for another 6 months so it has to go.

The one single item that I am holding on to is my Windows Laptop. It has served me well and I have very expensive software on it that I cannot transfer over to the Mac. The truth of the matter is that I will probably never use it again, but for right now it doesn’t take up too much room and until I feel completely comfortable with the Mac I will just keep it.

As I prepared both bedrooms for guests I was able to get into the closets and clear them out. I found some old shoes that I will never wear again and will donate them. Most of the stuff in the closets is stuff that we will be bringing with us like old photo albums and such so I boxed them up and put them in the downstairs closet with other packed boxes. Although I brought my collection of clothing down to a minimum I realized yesterday that there is still clothing hanging in these closets that I never wear. I will work on that today.

It feels really good to visit the decluttering mission once again. It seems that I have gotten so comfortable in my everyday minimalist life I have seem to have forgotten that there is still some stuff left to monitor. I have a file cabinet that has served me well but being that I have converted most of my paper records into electronic the only purpose it holds now is a catch all of stuff that I don’t know what to do with. I managed to get it half empty and the only thing I have left in it is tax paperwork that I do want to save in paper form and office supplies. The tax files will go into a portable file box and the office supplies in a box and I will ad the file cabinet to the list of stuff for the yard sale. I have a large tool bin with tools in it that I never use. I will keep just the tools that I do use and place them in a smaller tool box and give the larger one to my son who can really use it. Then of course their are the two large items in the garage that hold friend status for me. The treadmill and the bowflex are also on the chopping block and will also be placed outside during the yard sale. I cannot afford to move these two items 3000 miles away and will have the opportunity to replace them with newer one’s. Of course I will try to find replacements on Craig’s list as they are always in abundance like all exercise gear that people with dreams purchase but too soon give up. I will look forward to seeing my garage completely empty and will take the opportunity to paint the floor with a sealer type of paint.

I have bought and sold many houses in my life and I always love the opportunity to present my home in perfection. Too many times I have looked at houses and can’t tell you how many were just complete disasters or so cluttered that it was hard to picture the rooms empty. I want to capitalize as much as possible on this house as the profits will be going towards the last home we ever buy and it is incredibly important to have that mortgage paid off as quickly as we can. Owning a home without a mortgage is an important step in financial freedom and it makes it so much easier to paint the picture of full retirement when our expenses are at a minimum.

This entry was posted in debt, finances, life, MAC, minimalist, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to A Day of Decluttering

1. I’ve recently learned the value of decluttering. It’s refreshing but I still have work ahead of me too. I’m headed to the cellar to pack more boxes for our fall yard sale. Thanks for getting me c out if the chair. Good luck getting to your lounge chair in the Sunshine state.

2. josie416 says:

You are doing a great job decluttering! I started several years ago with FlyLady.net, and really enjoy living in a spacious, uncrowded home. I am also now in the process of “re-decluttering”, because even with a “simple” life-style, I still seem to accumulate things.
    I hope you are aware that after the yard sale you will have a ton of stuff. Make sure you make a list of everything before the thrift store comes by to pick up the left-overs. It is amazing how much of a deduction you can take if you itemize and use the Turbo Tax donation program!
    Good luck!

3. blondieaka says:

We decluttered when we moved here and it’s such a great feeling..good luck with your move 🙂

4. I learned it also, to clean away clutter is to clean your soul.

5. I love a good declutter. We’ve taken years to get to where we are, but I would never go back 🙂

Good Morning my northern friend….great numbers this morning…since I have more energy I am once again back to mucking out each room…and then I will go back and do it again…I am not a hoarder by any means but I hate getting rid of stuff….there I said it out loud, first step in many to parting with my treasures….LOL sounds like your getting it down to the last few boxes…I am a little envious that you are moving….I know I have gypsy blood in my veins and I have been in this house for over 8 years….this itch is strong but there really is no where else I would rather be….maybe its time for a few coats of paint and new decorations….lol well I am up early these days, no rest for the wicked as my mom would have said….your giving me incentive to get back at the mucking out….have a good Sunday……kat

7. baug1231 says:

Good article here! What we’re told we need and what we actually need are two different things. Cheers to you! And best of luck in the south!

8. dorannrule says:

Congratulations on your de-cluttering program. I love to get down to essentials but somehow keep filling in the spaces. 🙂

9. nexi says:

Also moving in the next couple of years and bought a fast scanner to deal with fifteen years of pre-digital photos and biographical documents that were decanted from albums and boxed – take up too much storage space. All the best with your continued clear out!

It is bittersweet situation when it comes down to getting rid of things that have been part of you for so long. Good luck on the yard sale when it’s time for it 😊

11. Coach Mary says:

I’ve been decluttering a box here and there. We have moved many times. Our current location we have lived for 16 years. My challenge is my kids stuff. Yesterday, I finally had my daughter come over and go through her things she had left behind after she moved back home and now has moved on. 4 years later, I found great joy bringing bags of trash out. The handful of boxes that are now going to the Salvation Army are making me very happy. She still has work ahead of her but a large dent was made. My Son will be next. (not as big a task) In May, my youngest is getting married so more stuff will be leaving. I too want to declutter everywhere. It sounds like you are giant steps ahead of me but with each box I am getting somewhere. Oh, moving to Florida sounds like an awesome idea! I would have a challenge missing my grandbabies.

• I am actually moving to Florida to be with my grand babies. I have 3 there and 1 here in Portland. I will certainly miss the one here but Florida is the perfect destination for them to visit us in the Winter months. With kids living all over the place it’s hard to balance it out. Decluttering can be a long emotional process and sometimes can take years to get to a point of comfort. I am still working on it, but getting closer to the point where my home will only contain the things I use or absolutely love. Good luck on your mission. 🙂

12. Well done on all the decluttering, sounds like you’re doing a great job. Looking forward to following your move to Florida. Best of luck

13. BookWriteHer says:

Decluttering is such a cathartic process. It’s amazing how much more we can let go.
    I’ve dedicated September to a Kondofest (Marie Kondo, The life changing Magic of tidying up). It has been amazing. I made a stuttered start a few months ago but I’ve firmly bit the bullet this time.
    I no longer dread finding something to wear. Every day is an improvement. At the weekend I Kondofested (?) my craft space. I had some clear shoebox storage now looking for a home having let some items go. It was therapeutic to create a home for stuff I love. And now it all looks so purretty fantastic 🙂
    I have a way to go – papers are my nemesis – but I feel so much more focused. Cannot. Recommend. It. Enough. #Kondofest @BookWriteHer

14. hippyish says:

Obsessed with de-cluttering, here. My husband told me that I’m not going to have anything left – I told him, it would be fine…Mick Dodge lives in the words with the forest, so I can too 🙂 Glad you had a productive, enjoyable weekend.

15. I’m gearing up for my yard sale as well. So glad these Texas temps are dropping. Good luck with yours 😎

16. Joanne Fralick says:

I took two bags of summer clothing I never used to charity this morning. De-cluttering never ends!

17. Nice amount of stuff you’ve found to get rid off, I wish I was as effective as you.. I’ve fallen a bit off the decluttering wagon the last few months, but I’m crawling my way back slowly 😉

If you keep this up.. You might not have anything left too move 😉