A Talk with my Doctor about IBS

Align-Probiotic-Supplement-037000143437

I spoke with my primary care physician yesterday and got my blood test done for my A1c. I told her that I was having problems with IBS and she gave me some suggestions. The first was a product called Align. I included a link for this product if you want to check it out yourself. My doctor claims that her patients have experienced great results from this probiotic and in combination with a bland diet it should work well for me. The other things she suggested were of course yogurt and fermented products daily. She also suggested lots of fiber from fresh organic vegetables and getting plenty of sunshine and moderate exercise. She said that the whole process could take months to work but I need to keep at it and I will find relief.

So many of these things I have already been doing but I know that I haven’t been consistent at it. So it is time I really addressed this issue and start taking it serious. I really doesn’t help me to eat good healthy foods that never make it into the cells of my body, so I am taking a proactive stance in working to repair my flora. I ordered Align on Amazon.com and should get it by Tuesday. In the mean time I am going to shy away from doing intermittent fasting and concentrate more on balancing my foods with a little more fiber along with those foods needed to start changing my gut so it works properly. Yes, this mean that I am going to start eating breakfast once again. A bowl of good old fashioned oatmeal with berries for breakfast and nothing else until lunchtime. Lunch will consist of a salad loaded with greens with lunch, some sauerkraut, a yogurt and a little bit of left overs from the night before. I have the time to stretch out lunchtime where I can eat slowly for an hour and I will be mindful to avoid eating anything else until dinner time. This will allow my body to really digest this food without being overwhelmed with additional foods on top of it. Dinner will remain small but also healthy with more vegetables than meats.

I have also made the decision to minimize my weight lifting program by reducing the weight and limiting my reps and sets to easy mode. This will keep the demand for sugar in my body at a level pace but will not create the additional demand for more food. I will keep my cardio program in place where I am doing 30 minutes of a fast paced walk every other day and we will see where this all takes me. I am really suspicious that the problem with my gut is also connected with higher morning glucose numbers so I look forward to seeing the results of this new program. Hang on for the ride folks.

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, intermittent fasting, life, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, vegan, vegetarian, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to A Talk with my Doctor about IBS

1. Sandy says:

A good probiotic with acidophilus will do the trick!!
    Any good probiotic needs to be in the fridge.
    I have IBS But haven’t had problems in over 5 years.
    2 probiotics a day (and not the weak crap in yogurt) and I live IBS free.
    I also drink apple cider vinegar which

• kimberlysmyth says:

Sandy is right on all counts, and if you’re still eating wheat, please stop! In fact, I eat no bread at all and yes I miss it but I eat plenty of food and never concentrate on what I can’t have.

2. Sandy says:

Shoot! Hit send in error .. Continued

I drink unpasteurized organic apple cider vinegar which is loaded with mother (potent pro and pre biotics)

Hope you feel better soon! That’s some high blood sugar! Keep at it!

I’ve lost 27lbs and my blood sugar is back down to low pre-diabetic range and I plan to keep on the path to wellness. Gotta keep losing the weight! Better health and a better life is waiting for me!!!
    Core exercises every day, paleo diet is great! And a lot less fruit.

Get better soon!! IBS is miserable.

Oh I also take psyllium husk capsules (make my own) 2 a day. Keeps things balanced with fibre in the colon.

Astragalus you should also take a look into!

Cheers!!

3. Sandy says:

Pls do your research on probiotics – align is not the best there is. It’s a consumer product .. A probiotic from a health food store in the fridge is a much cheaper and better option for you. IMO

The missus says that gut health is a good indicator of overall health so take care of those good gut bacteria.

5. lynette1123 says:

Thats exactly what I commented yesterday. I started taking it 6 wks ago and I feel awesome no more issues at all!

sounds like a good plan…I am surprised she didn’t tell you to lay off all the yeast products…the sugar and yeast likes to breed in your gut….sounds like you are on top of it as you always are…glad your going to try the probiotics..not saying your a dog, but while we were on vacation, our dog got into something and her tummy was certainly doing a number on her, took her to the ver and she was given probitocs, set her right s rain in less than 12 hours…she was alittle constipated, as it helped to dry out her colon…but a little olive oil, which we normally put on her food daily, she back to normal…my brother takes probiotics daily…had open heart surgery several years ago and got MRSA in the hospital and this helps keep it at bay….have a fantastic weekend my friend….are you getting ready to put the house on the market???

7. Align cleared up my husband’s issues following an antibiotic prescription. I’ve stuck to yogurt as I’ve said before which worked for me – the key is realizing it may take a long time to get back to normal – there is not an overnight cure.

8. Tony R says:

Unfortunately, like most health issues, a long term approach is usually the best bet. We just have to get our mind set so that we are focused further out than tomorrow. I say this from experience. Hang in there and you will succeed. Best of luck to you.
    Tony R.

Great info Billy! Thanks I´ll check that out!

10. Look forward to hearing how this works out for you. Sounds like a good plane.

11. kemme says:

I did have this IBS problem many years ago, from the poor digestion in the stomach due to not chewing food properly. Over a long period of time,IBS surfaced, I started off consuming probiotic , a dietary supplements and Digestive enzyme (provide your body with the essential enzymes to help digest proteins, ciarbohydrates and fats) immediately after meals, it worked. You can check at this link for more info: http://www.modere.com/?referralCode=615216