Another Successful Day and a New Mac Laptop

And yet another good morning with both my blood sugar and weight down. I woke up with a terrible headache this morning that seems to be driven by tightness in my sinuses. Usually I feel this way in the Autumn but it is only late August. I noticed that many of the plants in the garden are giving way to the looks of an end of a season of growth and living here in the Pacific Northwest corner of America does have a slightly different growing pattern than that on the East Coast. I have decided that I am not going to attempt to workout with a headache this morning.

Yesterday’s fast went well as I made it once again all the way to noon before I ate. I ate a yogurt the 20 minutes later baked chicken breast with squash. I didn’t have much of a hunger after lunch and other than eating an Uber bar I made it all the way to dinner. Dinner was a little pork and broccoli. I slept for 7 hours and here I sit getting ready to start another day in the life of Billy Brennan.

macbook_pro_13inch_35440710_11I was going to start a new post about a high level purchase that I made but instead I think I will just get it out of me in this one. Yes folks, I broke down and purchased a Macbook Pro. I have been wanting to switch over to Mac for years and have avoided it because of the price tag. Six months ago I almost made the purchase but made a promise to myself that I would wait 6 months and if I still feel the same way I would buy a Mac. Tuesday marked the six month wait and I still felt the same desire to make the switch from PC to Mac so I did it. It arrived through Federal Express yesterday at work and it is still sitting in the box waiting for me to set it up. So I will be spending several weeks learning all there is to learn about this new tool and the different software I will be using.

So I am a minimalist and typically I don’t make large purchases like this without some type of justification. Usually I am happy with what I have and very thankful for it, so what was it that pushed me in this direction? The one thing is my desire to be an author and much of the research that I have done shows a corresponding connection between a writer and his/her tool, their Mac. Also my total saving thus so far since I quit smoking is a little over $6000.00 and is sitting in my savings account. I always considered that my reward for quitting smoking was the added security I added to my emergency fund, but I believe that just in the last 6 months the savings I yielded from quitting paid for the new computer. I own only the things that I actually use each day or absolutely love as I have gotten rid of everything else in my life that I consider clutter and one of the things that I use most frequently is my computer. Between blogging and managing my money my computer has become the most useful tool I own in navigating my life. Why shouldn’t I own the best tool money can buy if it serves me at this capacity? So anyway, there may be some upcoming posts on my new adventures with my Macbook Pro.

This entry was posted in body building, debt, finances, fitness, food, gardening, health, intermittent fasting, life, minimalist, nature, Oregon, paleo, primal, quit smoking, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Another Successful Day and a New Mac Laptop

Best thing for sinus headaches in the morning is a warm cloth and the night before put some Vicks vapor rub around your nose. It will help the tightness. Good luck with your new toy…lol!! Like yourself I can’t convince myself to pay that much but probably will one day.

2. kimberlysmyth says:

First off, my advice for your sinus headache would be Breathe Blend essential oil and I can tell you how to get it if you don’t already have some. Let me know if you use essential oils or not, I do and they have made such an improvement in my health and my life.
    Secondly, congrats on your purchase! As soon as my husband saw that I was taking this writing thing seriously, he surprised me with a Mac Air laptop! You will have little trouble learning to use it and it will make life so much easier! I discovered about a week or two after getting it that it has its own word processor called Pages. If I wasn’t busy packing my house up in preparation to move, I would dive in to learning all about that and applying it to my writing toolbox. I can’t wait to get settled in our new place so I can get busy. I’m glad you are feeling better (except for your headache) and I pray for your continued success with your writing and your health! Have a great day!

3. Love it when you see progress. I need to invest in a laptop haha, this really made me want to get on now xP

4. josie416 says:

Wow, I am so impressed! One, that you quite smoking, two that you saved the money from it, and three, that you waited that long to make the purchase to make sure it was right for you. You get THREE points! πŸ˜‰

Congratulations on the Mac. The only way to fly.

6. I swtiched to a MacBook Air last August, and I still love it! To me it fits in with my minimalism because while it cost a bit more I was able to clear a ton of space getting rid of the PC. Hope you enjoy yours!

Good for you… Both my kids own macs…they said they will not go back..you deserve the best….

8. humblelittlehomestead says:

Congratulations on your new Mac! After reading your post, I’d have to say it’s well thought out and a very well deserved purchase! πŸ™‚

9. Jenn Prime says:

I have had a Mac for about seven years or so, and I will never go back to a PC. I think you’ll find it to be intuitive and very useful. Enjoy!

10. I congratulate you on your discipline on waiting to buy the Mac. I’m the dissenting voice here – I had a Mac (an AIR) for a year and went back to a PC laptop. Actually I think either are fine and maybe I just couldn’t adjust after 25 years of using a PC πŸ™‚ Have fun and write well with it!

11. Hope you have a smooth transition to your MAC. Keep the old PC as a back-up, just in case. I switched to MAC some years back. I was OK with it till recently, when against my better judgement, someone talked me into taking the free upgrade to Yosemite. If you haven’t don’t, and read the reviews. I could not get it removed and the local techs were going to do what I had already tried, it I paid to take it to them, so I bought a new drive and replaced it. I bought a bigger drive so I would have room to go back to windows when my OS gets too old to work. Happy to now have a MAC I can work w/ back. Except, now itunes did an auto upgrade and the radio is gone. That is my whole reason for using it. So I am going to have to install the old version again or if one is available, a third party internet radio. MAC, since the death of Steve Jobs has been constantly taking things away. Each OS has gotten worse. Some could say the same w/ windows, since windows 7, but they go up and down and are due for a good one after 10. I started w/ windows 95 and just do not like strict limitations, on what I can do w/ my computer, being imposed. I am just a unique one that doesn’t go along w/ the crowd too well. If you find there’s things you love that you can no longer do on your computer, you can use the back up.

12. cvanhook says:

Congratulations on the new Comp.!! WooHoo. I know your Head ache is gone but I have one more tip, I could not live here in the South without my Nasal Pot…LOVE IT! I wake with Sinus pressure and pain, do the Nasal Pot thingy and Walla..GONE! Take Care β™₯

13. Congrats for your new Mac! πŸ™‚

14. kkeevins says:

Hi Bill: Congrats on your new Mac! You won’t regret it. I held off for a long time because of the $$. When I finally took the plunge, I was thrilled. It’s so simple. When I first bought it at Apple, I bought the lessons — $99/52 lessons. I knew I could figure it out, but with the lessons, I’ve learned a great deal more than I would have done on my own. The people at Apple really ARE genius’ — there’s nothing they don’t know about their products. Enjoy every minute working on it — it won’t be “work” anymore! Regarding your smoking = congratulations on that too. Not an easy task. I also saved the $$ I would have spent smoking. It’s unreal how fast it adds up.

I, too, am an aspiring author. The Mac will help you with that too. Write your brains out!!!!

Good luck,
    Kathy from: diaryofadedicateddiabetic.wordpress.com

15. kkeevins says:

Ooops — one important question — You mentioned that you “got rid” of a lot of your stuff. I’m in the process of purging my humble abode, as I plan to sell it next year and downsize.
    Did you use Craigslist, E-bay, etc., etc???? I give stuff to Goodwill, but some of it should be sold — just not sure which one to use…
    Thanks. –Kathy