Kohl’s and The Tricks they Play

556751_10151492359628874_1593234450_nLast week I had one of those experiences that make you shake your head and just say “What the Fuck”? I have a Kohls account that I don’t use very often, but I did last month and received a bill in the mail in which I quickly paid. I sent a check out for the full balance which was just 63.28 and noticed that after two and half weeks the check hadn’t been cashed yet. On the last day the payment was due I called Kohls and ended up paying the bill over the phone. The woman asked me first for a credit card number and after I gave it to her she explained that there would be a 10.00 fee for using it. I told her to hold on and gave her a debit card number instead and she explained that Kohl’s doesn’t accept debit cards. Finally I told her that I would simply stop by Kohl’s and pay the bill with cash. She said wait a minute, there is another way. If you give me your bank account number and routing number I can do a direct draft. So I did. I then explained to her that the check was sent out over two weeks ago and they should have received it. I said maybe the the US Postal Service is having problems so when you do receive the check please contact me. She agreed and made a note on my account. I thought this was all over, but long behold they received the check, or found it and ended up processing it anyway. So I ended up paying this bill twice and now have a credit on my account. So now I am forced to return to Kohl’s to purchase more of their overprices crap.

There are things that going on in the world of money that seem to be so deceiving at times it really makes you wonder. How desperate are these large corporations that they have to try to create situations where they can take advantage of people to put them into a position where they pay late fee’s? How often does this happen and are other retail giants doing the same thing? If it weren’t for the fact that I watch my finances like a rocket scientist I may have missed this. I know that there are people who are so busy with their lives that they just assume that when they pay a bill it is all done.

And you wonder why I am a Minimalist?

This entry was posted in debt, finances, life, minimalist, simple living and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Kohl’s and The Tricks they Play

1. Or why I continue to be cash and carry despite knowing that if I don’t use credit, my credit score will always be low. Sigh. It’s a now win situation in a lot of respects as you try to do what’s best for yourself financially but the system seems hell bent on putting you in debt.

2. I’d close my account and demand a check for the credit balance. Tricksters is right. Sheesh.

3. Man sorry to hear that, this has happened to me twice at kohls, I got so fed up and just stopped going there all together. It’s so frustrating how they can’t “do anything”

Ask you bank to do a reversal on one of the payments…. If not I would make kohls refund my money….. Assholes …

5. There’s a lesson to me here about looking after my money better.

6. Keep checking that bank statement. I was told by my bank that once I hand over the routing numbers to my account, the vendor who has them can keep coming back, indefinitely, to withdraw funds from that account, with or without my continued permission. Their suggestion was to close the account. I closed it and reopened another account at the same bank, because it was the only way to ensure they never did it again.

• Of course, if you know your vendor is on the up and up, you don’t have to worry they would do such a thing, but it doesn’t sound like Kohl’s is all that reliable. :/

• I think it is higher up the chain of management who try to generate as much income for the company as possible to increase their bonuses. What they don’t realize is that in doing so by pushing policies that are not in the best interest to their customers they will soon lose those customers. They way I feel right now is that I would prefer to stick a fork in my left eye before ever shopping at Kohl’s again.

7. hippyish says:

Oh YEEEAH they are freakin’ sneaky: soooo many companies are. And I just “auto-drafted” my bills for the last few years and now I’m in a mess. That’s why I have completely changed the way I do things. Makes me sick! Glad you caught it though – but I have to say it’s uncool for them to make you spend your credit there when it was completely their fault. Can’t wait til my credit cards are paid off. I will never bring them out again! NEVER.

This sounds creazy Billy I have not idea what Kohl is but, be very careful to give all those data on the phone, there are always employees who take that info from you as a client and use it in bad way for themselves.

9. joysparker says:

Thanks so much for posting this. I often have thought I might like to have a Kohl’s card, but I refuse to do business with any company who would charge me to pay my bill on time, no matter the method. I had a car loan through Chase years ago and they would charge $15 for a payment by phone. My current car loan charges $5 or $10 unless you do autodraft, so I’m doing autodraft. They will soon be paid off. Never again. Muahhahahaha!

10. Thank you. Have to be careful indeed!!

11. That’s crazy! I detest retail credit tricks. I’m fortunate enough to have my credit cards paid off, although I use them more than I want to each month and have high balances to pay each month. I have no retail store accounts anymore because I found them to be the sleaziest. Good luck with this account.

12. Customer retention at it’s finest/worst!

13. I absolutely love Kohl’s because I love to play their coupon game.

I wait for a 20% off coupon. I swing by the store then and see if they’re having a Star Clearance event. If they are, that’s another 20% off 80% off. Go early in the sale and see if you hit the threshold for $5 off–this is actually pretty hard when you’re buying what you actually need and you’re getting stuff for 84% off, even for a family.

If I go just once a year, I end up averaging $12 for dress pants and jeans–because I’m a smaller size, they rarely hit the 80% off rack and mostly bottom out at 60% off. If I care to go more often, though, I can keep all pants below $10 and sweaters below $8 and blouses below $6. (It takes about 3 times a year to keep up with my rate of wearing things out. I can’t get more than 2 pairs of pants in my size and style that look nice for less than $10 on any one trip, and I often can only get 1. Going 3 times a year usually gets me 4 pairs of pants. My pants average about 2.5 years of hard wear…and I’m usually tough on my clothes, with all the kneeling that I do.)

My cheapest items ever were TWO preteen boys’ shirts for $1.50…total. (Before tax, of course.) I’ve had checkout clerks absolutely speechless at what I total.

It’s great to be able to do all my clothes shopping for me (exclusive of shoes and underthings) for $150-200 a year, easily. Macy’s has sales that are nearly as good. I’ve gotten DNKY jeans for $7.50. But they have more billing issues, and so I dropped them.

I just refuse to look at clothes on other racks. If I look at them, I might want them, and I want to find things that I love and that are super-cheap, both.

I’ve honestly never had a problem with Kohl’s billing. If they deposit your check late, that’s on them. They go by when they receive it.

14. Frugal Guru says:

You watched a shallow propaganda film that deliberately distorts reality to make a point that appeals to Western guilt. Yuck.

There are a LOT of false assumptions here.

First, you’re assuming that the less expensive brands result in people who are paid less than more expensive brands. This is false. The same factories often produce for both low and high-end brands–often using the same materials! There are sometimes differences in the level of finish and quality-control, though this is far from assured. There is, of course, a difference in logos and labels, for sure!

Second, you’re assuming that the international market sets local labor prices. It doesn’t. The Bangladeshi factory owners pay the prevailing wage for the local job market, which is set by competition among thousands of different occupations for the local labor pool. Which country gets the contract depends on the international market; what local workers are paid depends on the local market.

Third, you have a backwards view of child labor. Child labor occurs because families depend on children to at least partly support themselves. Not hiring children in that kind of market mean that the children starve. The answer to child labor is the education of women. This means that families need to feel incentives to send girls to school rather than have them labor at home or elsewhere, and adult education for women needs to be a priority. I contribute to charities in Haiti, Guatemala, and India that have this goal for this reason. My contributions will bring 800 illiterate Indian women to reading at a 5th grade level at the end of a year this year alone.

Fourth, the supposed solutions in the film are no such thing because the producers have no grasp of economics. Establishing minimum international standards through treaties and international inspectors (in countries with terrible human rights records, bribery is rampant) will be key to speeding up the improvement of working conditions and pollution standards, allowing an international “level playing field” for bidders. One of the reasons that China and Bangladesh, for instance, have been able to produce things so cheaply is by having a complete disregard for both safe working conditions and for pollution. This is the economic concept of moral hazard. By moving the true costs of producing an item (which includes the costs caused by whatever pollution is produced) back onto the cost of the item itself, we prevent essentially subsidizing clothes bought in the US or France with cost of the cancer that people get in a city in Vietnam.

Fifth, you’re assuming that the “miniseasons” are something that’s followed in terms of the most “in” styles by more than 2% of the population. It’s not. Places with ultra-high turnover turn a profit with their sense of urgency, not the fact that people feel like they have to spend money to stay in style. In fact, trends in women’s clothing have become so brief and fleeting and have gone so many different directions at the same time that women have felt far LESS of a need over the last 15 years to change their wardrobes. Back as far as the 1860s, the wealthy could tell one season’s dresses from the next through distinct and large changes in style. By 1906, the styles of 1903 in high fashion would be glaringly out of place at a ball. Today, though, if we took the red carpet at the Academy Awards, most dresses from the past 10 or 15 years would look entirely in style if plopped onto it today. The jeans of the 1960s were bellbottoms. 1970s, tight, dark, straight-legs. 1980s, baggy and increasingly acid-washed. 1990s, acid-washed, high-waisted, straigh-legged. But starting in the 2000s…what? We had the hip-hugger boot-legged craze and the skinny jean craze, but if you had six fashionable girls in their favorite jeans lined up together, there’s a chance that not one pair would be the same color, cut, and waist height.

All this has been reflected in a stagnation of women’s spending on fashion because they don’t feel like they have to spend the money now, while men’s spending has actually trended upwards as men’s clothing is still more uniform-like.

Anyway, this is all to say…if you want to make a difference, then BUY LESS, especially new, and donate to causes that are actually making an impact. I make a list of everything that I will need each year, clothing-wise, and I shop from that. It really simplifies my shopping and prevents over-consumption. And I avoid anything that’s extremely trendy! I prefer to wear out my clothes BEFORE they go out of style.

I’ve honestly never had a problem with their billing. If they process it slowly, that’s on them. They go by when they receive it.

15. Frugal Guru says:

Crap, sorry, that wasn’t at all meant for your blog. I thought I’d copied my previous comment because WP tends to eat comments when I’m not logged in, but I didn’t. Ooops! Just delete. 🙂 Only the very last bit is relevant, that I haven’t had a problem with Kohl’s check processing. 🙂

16. I feel for you. I am becoming less and less of a consumer. Back in the day in NY I went to the best of the trendy stores and since leaving there the only thing that floats my boat are the thrift stores. I am starting to go vintage for home items too. Hate cheap junk they push these days. Now they are allowing radioactive waste to be in things like metal zippers, so really not in the mood for new any more. I still have all the old clothes from NY and am moving into 216 sq feet and so I am not going to want to be part of the shopping norm. I think it’s really sick how these big businesses have to use trickery to make their money. What ever happened to good service and good products. Makes me not want to “play” anymore!

Some words are coming to mind, with your Kohl’s battle: BBB and “State Attorney General”. One of them will help. I have filed 4 cases in the last 6 years against Centurylink for their fake charges and they were caught each time. They are picking on some one else now.

• Wow, I am impressed that you are moving into 216 sq ft of space. I have been following the Tiny House movement for some time now and I am very impressed. I suppose that the best way to battle these companies is by not using their goods and services. Century Link has not given me any problems at all and my 2 year contract with them will be up next month. I will be shutting down everything soon and preparing for my move to Florida. We will see if they give me any problems with that.

17. Jade Olive Sage says:

I shop online with kohls.com. I have never had this experience with them. Actually today I mailed a money order to them for a purchase that I made online over the weekend. They usually receive it in 3 days and it is posted on the 4th day. I do this frequently so not to carry a balance. Just last Wednesday I mailed in a payment for a purchase that I made that Monday and it appeared as a payment on my account today.

I have made some great purchases via kohls.com as I frequently receive coupons for 10%, 20% or 30% off.

I pay with a postal money order so maybe the protocol for money orders is different than checks.

The mail order pharmacy that I use to fill prescriptions takes about two weeks or more to post money order payments. Therefore, I am familiar with the frustration of a delayed payment posting. I gave up sending money orders to the mail order pharmacy and have succumbed to using their other payment methods.

I filed a complaint stating that I believed that their delay in posting my money order payment was their way of discouraging and forcing customers to use an electronic source of payment (credit/debit/bank draft). Their response was less than genuine. They win.🚩

• I hate when these stores play these games with certain percentages off and sales and all of the other games they play. Just mark up the product enough to earn a profit and be done with it. I learned my lesson with Kohls and if I do have to shop there again and I will because now I have a sixty dollar credit, I will use this and cash only.