Sugar and Carbs Before Bed Lead to Higher Numbers in the Morning

recipe_detail_31bd9dcb141b890607bfd2455a92c651My body weight is slightly down again but my blood sugar is high. I certainly attribute the high sugar this morning to that slice of pound cake with fresh strawberries and whip cream before bed last night. Oopsy! Yesterday I once again experienced gut problems in the form of diarrhea. The only thing I put in my body before these occurrences was coffee and I am thinking that maybe it could be the cause. I will rethink my coffee intake and consider giving it up also, but not this morning. Right now I am enjoying a fresh cup of the brew.

Thus so far I have dropped close to 6 lbs and will anticipate getting back to my 32″ waist in as little as another week or two. I still have no problems with hunger in the morning and by lunch time I am ready to eat. Yesterday we made BLT’s on white bread, (which is certainly a no no for diabetics) but all of the vegetables were fresh from the garden. Around 3:00 PM I felt hungry and had a yogurt dinner wasn’t until around 7:00 PM. Dinner was lobster tail that we found on sale at the local grocery store and we accented it with a fresh garden salad and half of a baked potato. And of course I already mentioned dessert. I fell asleep not too much later after dinner and slept 9 hours. My average is between 7-8 and the extra sleep sometime attributes to higher numbers in the morning also.

Lesson to be learned today: If you are going to eat things higher in carbs or sugar do it earlier in the day when you are active enough to burn it off, or better yet, don’t eat them at all. It will also alter the progress of the bodies ability to burn fat during intermittent fasting and you may not see the results you are looking for.

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, gardening, health, life, minimalist, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Sugar and Carbs Before Bed Lead to Higher Numbers in the Morning

1. dorannrule says:

Time of day carb intake! That is so interesting and I never thought about it. I limit carbs to mostly fruit and a bit of dark chocolate in the evening. Maybe those two should be enjoyed earlier in the day. Thanks! πŸ™‚

2. kkeevins says:

Hi:

OMG! That cake looked delicious. Waldbaums used to make an angel cake that was excellent and SUGAR FREE — but , no more. 😦

Thanks for your comment on
    Diaryofadedicateddiabetic on WordPress. Keep “sticking it.” πŸ™‚

Good Morning….I would of had that strawberry goodness for breakfast in a heartbeat, hungry or not..LOL I like mine sprinkled with cinnamon….oh well now that you have made me want strawberries, cake and whip cream…we had smoke last night, out sun was blood red….came in real fast late in the afternoon….seems to have blown away this morning….heavy wet fog here….your weight looks great….and like you said you know why your BS is high….hope your having a fantastic Sunday…..Kat

I heard once that coffee mobilizes the water in your body to help you poop. I have one cup of coffee and one glass of water before hitting the gym and usually right before leaving home to workout, my body “responds”. Just sayin’.

oh the cake looks delicious πŸ™‚ Question though about your coffee…do you drink it with creamer? If you do the creamer may be bothering you. I love my coffee as well in the morning but I had to start dinking it black because the creamer tends to bother me.

The best is eating something very light before bed. The body needs to rest at night and digesting food is a heavy load for her. That brings many other health problems too.
    Thanks for sharing Billy!

7. kkeevins says:

Thanks for that reminder, hsampson! It’s almost 11:30 p. m., and I just ate an apple. What was I thinking??? Not only will it push my morning #’s up, but it’s HORRENDOUS for my digestive system.

Better choices/planning ahead.

–Kathy from:
    Diaryofadedicateddiabetic.wordpress.com

8. I guess we have to be allowed to splurge a little. If it had been me, I would have passed on the potato. Potatoes can be the worst of the starches. And I should be the one to talk.LOL I can say like it’s easy: I am more bread and pasta, as potatoes always feel too heavy for me.

9. Thats the way I roll. I try not to have carbs past lunchtime at the latest and to be honest really try to limit to breakfast. We are all different but it seems to work for me….

• kkeevins says:

Having them only at breakfast is a good idea. I can skip them for dinner, but I really like them at lunchtime. BUT, I’ll give it a shot! Thx.
      –Kathy
      From: Diaryofadedicateddiabetic.wordpress.com

• Well for me I suppose it is easier as I am post bariatric and therefore don’t rely so heavily on large portions to fill me up and from that, a simple chicken breast can suffice for a lunchtime meal. Thats not to say that I don’t ever have carbs later in the day because I sometimes do as I really try not to let them dictate how I feel. However, I do eat my carbs in the form of toast on the mornings I go to the gym and on these days I will also take a 50gms carb drink so there is no avoidance at all really, just a massive reduction. In fact, to be honest I had a prawn salad for my dinner last night at about 8pm so there were carbs in the salad….. I think I’ll stop talking now…. πŸ˜‰

• It sound like you have your diet right on track.

10. Carrie Spate says:

I’m gonna like this post just because I am particularly attracted to your feature image. Yummmmmy!