Breakfast Delay leads to Fat Burning

no_breakfastYesterday I decided that I was going to skip breakfast. For one reason I just wasn’t hungry and for another I wanted to give my body a break from eating. At around 10:00 AM I started to feel like I was hungry but forced myself to wait until lunchtime at 12:00 PM. The funny thing is that by waiting this extra 2 hours by the time it was time to eat I really wasn’t as hungry and ended up eating just half my lunch. Lunch was leftovers from the night before and was Chicken Marsala with fresh green beans and mushrooms. At around 3:00 PM I felt that hunger pang again but this time I ate a yogurt. Dinner wasn’t until 7:00 PM and was stuffed garden fresh peppers with basmati rice and grass fed ground beef with spices.

So this morning I can see that the morning fast did work as my body weight is reduced somewhat and eating rice at the end of the day caused my blood sugar to rise. So I learned from this that there is no scientific evidence that says that we should eat breakfast and waiting until you are really hungry gives the body a rest period or a mini fast to clean up and clear out whatever is left from the day prior. This little fast also forces the body to seek out alternative sources of energy in the body in the form of stored fat. This is where I felt hungry at 10:00 AM but didn’t eat until 12:00 PM. During that two hours my body switched over to utilizing fat for energy. I also learned that too many carbs before bed is not good for blood sugars. We do need a small amount to help us with the sleeping process, but too many will push a T2D’s sugar up during the night.

I am going to try this process once again today but will keep a close eye on my blood sugar to make sure it doesn’t go too low as I will be doing a small amount of cardio this morning. I am not setting out to skip breakfast each morning, but I will wait until I am really hungry before I eat. This should also give my overworked digestive system time to heal and get back into a healthy state.

Treadmill
Distance- 2.0 miles
Time- 30:48
Calories- 230.5

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, minimalist, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, vegetarian, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to Breakfast Delay leads to Fat Burning

1. Florida Life Minimalist says:

I don’t eat in the morning until I feel hungry. Usually around 10:30am. Why force yourself to eat a breakfast if you aren’t hungry? As long as it’s a healthy meal it doesn’t matter what time you’re eating it. I don’t force myself to wait until lunchtime, but sometimes I’m just not hungry until then. Watch out with that rice though 😉

2. dyoung82 says:

I’ve noticed the same thing. Not sure if it’s long lasting, but I certainly notice it the first couple days.

3. Run Wright says:

I’ve been reading about this lately. While your body does benefit from a true fast to digest all the food you ate that day, it’s better to stop eating early on and fast at night, giving your body an opportunity to rest and then eat in the morning.

I am usually up around 4 and don’t eat until my kids are up @ 6:30 – 7. Even then if I am not hungry I don’t. It really depends on the way my body feels. One thing I have noticed if I go with out breakfast I usually get hungry around 11 then I have my lunch. I never really have been a morning eater since I was a kid.

5. shantiepc says:

Not eating breakfast works for me. Having breakfast leads to weight gain for me somehow. Just makes me hungrier throughout the day.

6. That’s what I tend to do. I rise in the morning and don’t eat until I’m hungry. Admittedly it is usually within an hour but I do wait and sometimes don’t bother till lunch.
    Please keep an eye on how this goes as it will be interesting to monitor how you feel over the week.

Since I work out first thing in the morning (5 a.m.) both in my weightlifting and cardio routines, I find having a very small “pre-breakfast” meal helpful. I usually have a few carbs before weightlifting so I’ll have some extra “umph”, and more protein before cardio to preserve my muscle mass.

I am scratching my head this morning….I was always taught that its better to eat 5 or 6 small meals a day..to help keep your blood sugar level rather than skipping meals….I personally can go with out eating until early afternoon….but once I start, I don’t want to stop….so that’s why I had to personally change my life style to a small 200 cal breakfast and then eat later around 2p…but I believe its all up to the individuals own need and the need for fuel….and you know your body….my doctor told me we shouldn’t wait until our body is requesting food…as in stomach growling, because then it has reached the need to use its reserve, I thought that would be a good thing as in using up my fat layer?? she siad no then the body goes into survivor mode and doesn’t use the fat, it uses up the good muscle first…??? and in another doctors office he told me when your stomach growls its shrinking in size and it doesn’t mean your hungry, its just making noise as it shrinks in size…??? I surfed the internet and my head is spinning…so many opinions and everyone has a different thought….I am like you…do what works for yourself best….cloudy and overcast here this morning…in the 60’s but barely….have a great day….kat

• Different things work for different folks. For me this is all about the fact that I feel as though I am forcing myself to eat every morning when I am not even hungry. Doesn’t make too much sense. It was the breakfast manufacturers who taught us the importance of a good breakfast, but there is no scientific proof of any truth to this. What is obvious though is that if I am carrying too much body fat than what I am currently doing is not working for me. Are you still on the Coast?

• New Journey says:

We are at Ocean Park in Washington….st the Kite Festival in Long Beach…then heading to Westport and then Ocean Shores then up to the Lake Quinault area and maybe the Hoh river, a couple nights at my ole stomping grounds, Kalaloch, then Solduc Hot Springs, Lake Crescent then Port Angeles….kinda going up and back down memory lane for me….lived along Kalaloch, Forks and PA for 13 years growing up…really want to explore Astoria and Seaside more on our way back, have you been there??.

• I have only been to Astoria once but wasn’t too impressed but never to Seaside but heard it is a real partying town.

• New Journey says:

What I saw of Astoria I liked the old houses and the water….I want to drive around and check it out…we drove straight through Seaside, then right into Warrenton, and then Astoria, I think they are all connected in a matter of speaking….101 sure beats I-5 any day…..

• We went off season and the streets were lined with homeless people and of course most of the businesses were closed. It was obviously raining and I think if it were a nicer day we would have explored a little more.

• New Journey says:

bummer…..we were only on the one street that comes in under the big bridge to Washington….I will let you know what we think…we are heading home on the 9th of September, we won’t take our sweet time about going home like we did coming up…but rather zip on down the coast….

• 101 Southbound and down…. zooooom!

• New Journey says:

especially if its raining…LOL

9. I try to do Intermittent Fasting at least two days a week where I fast for 16 hours and only allow myself to eat during an 8 hour window (usually from 10am-6pm or 11am-7pm). It works well to keep me in line and away from my tendency to snack at night. I don’t have blood sugar issues, though, so I can’t say what effect it would have in that area.

10. hippyish says:

“no scientific evidence that says that we should eat breakfast and waiting until you are really hungry gives the body a rest”

THANK YOU! Everyone’s body is different. What works for one doesn’t necessarily work for another. When I tell people I don’t eat breakfast (makes me feel AWFUL) and I fast until lunch – they look at me like I have lost my mind. Why must I eat 3 large meals a day to sit in my office chair? That has never made much sense to me. I eat when I’m hungry and I’m surviving just fine 🙂

11. Sounds like your doing great! So important to eat when we are hungry and not because its a certain time of the day.

This is very interesting Billy, please keep us posted on how your body is feeling with this new routine. I have had different experiences at different ages and locations with this. I guess it depends on many factors but, please let us know how you are feeling with delaying breakfast.
    I like to fast once a month to clean my body, a whole day with one fruit for instance.
    But as I said before, it depends on where in the world I am, the effects I get.

13. I looks like you are finding what works for you! The media has it out there that it’s “BAD” to skip breakfast. From my first memories, I always felt sick eating much in the morning. I have found too that skipping breakfast benefited my weight and left me w/ less hunger to deal with. Maybe breakfast is for some but not for me and maybe not for you. We are all different and have different requirements. Glad you made this discovery. Now I know I am not alone.

14. Nichole says:

I have never been able to eat breakfast. It always makes me feel ill to eat in the morning. When I was in school it was difficult since my option was to make myself sick eating breakfast or starve until lunch with our no-snack policy. So ridiculous! I hated it! Schools need to change their policy about food. I drink coffee in the morning (with splenda) and am fine until lunch. Some days I’ll get hungry around 10:30-11 so I’ll just eat an early lunch that day and nibble on some snacks in the afternoon if I get hungry before dinner. I always have people telling me how unhealthy it is to skip breakfast but I think it’s silly to force myself to do something my body doesn’t agree with.