Minimalist Moment: Use Old Sneakers for Dirty Jobs

I cranked up the cardio yesterday and did close to 4 miles, but did it at a slower pace. My body weight did drop a little but my blood sugar is a little bit higher today. Although this is all about reducing my waist size I should see small reductions in body weight and thus, so far I am happy with my daily results.

dsc00746Today I am resting for two reasons. The first is to allow my body to fully recover before I resume my routine tomorrow and the second is that while picking lettuce from the garden yesterday I stepped on a bee. Old nature boy loves to be out in the garden barefoot but at this time of the season maybe I should put those garden shoes on. They are simply a retired pair of sneakers but workout great for gardening. That bee stung me right in the arch and although I thought the swelling went down I did feel the pressure when I put my running shoes on this morning. So lets let that heal up too.

So here is an excellent opportunity to discuss a “Minimalist Moment”. Rather than throwing out that old pair of sneakers opt to use them as work shoes for chores like painting and gardening. There is nothing worse than messing up a new pair of shoes, but by saving the old ones and wearing them for dirty jobs can make the newer one’s last a whole lot longer.

This entry was posted in body building, debt, finances, fitness, gardening, health, life, minimalist, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Minimalist Moment: Use Old Sneakers for Dirty Jobs

1. Nurse Kelly says:

I do the same exact thing. And even though my old running shoes look good on the outside, I learned about how the materials degrade and the importance of replacing them when they get around 400 miles on them!

2. blondieaka says:

Ouch…I felt that….I am a bare footed gal 80% of the time but have learnt not to be when gardening and yes old trainers etc are great 🙂

3. I hope your foot gets better

I got stung the day we left..I was out watering and a yellow jacket thought I was a little to close to his home…. Nice to see the bees out but…..enjoy your Sunday… Sunny at the beach….

5. Shafin Arshad says:

Please like and follow us at http://www.thewebplus.wordpress.com. You can also like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/thewebplus

6. I love going barefooted, too, but have to be also self-protective! !
    Good! Let yourself Heal – besides it is Sunday 🙂 a day of rest?
    So nowadays I have to wear shoes out AND gloves while doing any outdoor work to protect my hands from open areas due to chronic lymphedema and sensitivity to recurrent infections.
    Getting older we have to do a few things differently for optimal health! So worth it! 🙂 Anne

7. suzewannabe says:

When I was a kid, we had “frog shoes” old runners with the toes cut out for playing in the creek or streams where we would camp.

Today we have “ranch only” clothes for dirty jobs.

8. I Re-blogged this. Hope you don’t mind. Thank you for your inspirational blogs.

9. I used to buy the $5 ones at Woolworth for that. Now that Woolworth is gone, I just use what ever is close. Great idea to keep from wrecking the good pair. Some of those bee stings can be so bad!

Hello Billy! I just nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award.
    Don´t worry you don´t have to accept the award or do anything, this is just my way to tell you THANK YOU, I admire your work and I am grateful to you for sharing and teaching me so much!
    Check it out here: http://wp.me/p5trJ-ss
    And once again, thank you for blogging!!!
    Your friend always,