A Day of Leisure can Lead to Higher Blood Sugar

014605dYesterday was a day of leisure where I did a lot of sitting around watching movies or reading. Even though I worked out in the morning and ate healthy all day I still am suffering high blood sugar numbers this morning. This has me thinking this morning about many things. As I mentioned in an earlier post, human beings have evolved to be active. Our bodies need to work and be mobile during the course of our day. A workout in the morning does do wonders, but what about the rest of our day.

This pattern of thinking takes me back to years past where this country was made up of craftsman, farmers and laborers. They worked hard each day and their population did not suffer the same problems we do today. Food was fresh, wholesome but not always readily available during the winter months. People really had to work hard to preserve these foods to carry them through the rough months while hunting and trapping to provide enough meat for a stew.

him_student_computer2Let’s compare this to today where America has developed into a service oriented work environment where most of our jobs consist of sitting behind a computer for eight hours each day. We get our food from a supermarket that supplies us with processed products that are loaded with sugar and salt and high in calories. Our population suffers medical conditions never seen before in man’s history.

The bottom line is that although I enjoyed a day of just sitting around I have to understand that there are consequences to pay for it. I am sure that if I would have broken up my day with just a walk around the neighborhood during the afternoon my early morning glucose numbers would have been much lower. It also has me thinking about making a change in my career where I can be a little more active during the day.

Treadmill
Distance- 3.14 miles
Time- 45:04 minutes
Calories- 373.7

This entry was posted in blogging, body building, debt, finances, fitness, food, health, hiking, life, minimalist, nature, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A Day of Leisure can Lead to Higher Blood Sugar

1. CountryGirlChatter says:

I whole heartedly agree with you! I truly believe that our bodies were not meant to be sedentary! If you go back far enough, before the days of the ‘horseless carriage,’ people walked everywhere they went and as you said, the jobs that were around were farming, etc., which kept the body active throughout the day. I am finding in my own life that I too need to get more activity in my day and the wholesome foods as well. In doing so, I find that I feel and look much better than when I choose to slack off in my healthier habits! Have a great day!

Good thoughts Billy, when my husband and I sit at our laptops all day, shifting from the chair to the recliner for a little snooze then back to the chair….I am so frigin stiff and my joints hurt, my head hurts….so like you are thinking, I have broken up the days, I am really doing nothing most days, I do have a few hobbies…my bowling balls, or some other outside yard project, hell just pulling the nasty weeds all around the property is a huge chore….or I have taken up my piano again, yes your sitting, but your are using your mind, and upper body, plus you must use good body posture mechanics to play properly…no slouching….wrist straight I can hear my teacher from years ago…even to stop and vacuum in the middle of the day or wash the front of the cupboards down has helped me to stop just setting all day..now I have the pool I can go walk in….when your numbers are that high do you have to take extra medication?? just curious…kat

• I am not taking any medication Kat. I reached a point where if I took meds my numbers would go too low. You play piano? You are amazing!

• New Journey says:

No your amazing…how wonderful that you don’t have to take medication for DM….I have diabetic friends and they are forever readjusting their medications…played the piano for over 48 years off and on….I was playing for my mother a lot before she passed in 2012 and stopped playing, just now picking it back up….boy am I rusty…..LOL

• Awesome! Simply Awesome!

3. dyoung82 says:

My thoughts exactly. I often think of our past and how I can get back to those roots. I’ve been doing a lot of reading on homesteading and love the idea of being more self sufficient. It’s nice to know that others feel the same.

4. jncthedc says:

Commonly when we sit around and become sedentary we have a tendency to reach for foods to supplement our movie and or reading experiences. Is it possible the food choices that day influenced your sugar levels?

5. I understand what you are saying Billy but I really think that you need to be careful that you don’t overdo it. No one can be expected to to work out and train their body, then do a days work and repeat the process over again. All that honestly leads to is fatigue.
    You need to try to find a happy balance between work out and an active day. Even if you job isn’t that active there is noting stopping you from rising from your desk every 30 minutes and walking around to the restroom where you do some upright press ups. There is a myriad of ways to tackle this issue without that much drastic change…
    Well thats my point of view anyway..!

6. I am a tech specialist at a school and unfortunately, most of my day is spent staring at a screen. I have to purposely think of ways to get more movement in my day. It’s really hard some days but I’m working on it!

7. hippyish says:

I didn’t know blood sugar is raised during rest. Hmmm. Makes sense though. Speaking of…my back hurts sitting in this office chair. Bout to get up and MOVE.

8. kkeevins says:

I’ve noticed that too. When I’m not moving enough during the day, my numbers are higher and I don’t sleep as well either!

–Kathy from: