The Type 2 Balancing Act

balanced-rock-sculptures-5

I am back on a heavy lifting day today I I will remember to eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast this morning as to not allow my body to get into a low sugar situation later in the day. I will once again working muscle groups that I haven’t worked for weeks and know that there will be a great demand for energy. I will take it easy and try not to waken the beast inside. I have to be mindful of the fact that although I am building muscle and working for power, my primary goal is burning fat. It’s all about keeping those muscles active enough to burn sugar, but not to the point of depletion.

There is such a fine line of balance involved in this whole workout plan. It has been said that it is difficult to build muscle while burning fat, but I believe that this is only true in athletic workouts. On an everyday basis where I am not stressed in getting down to a certain weight class I have the opportunity to burn fat at a low rate while also doing the same for building muscle. The results aren’t quick and fast, they are a product of consistency and dedication over a long period of time. The result being balance and minimizing the time spends in a state of inflammation and in the long run a lean, mean, healthy body. The best source of food during this process is of course whole foods that nourish all the cells of the body with all of the compounds created through nature and the fruits and vegetables it makes available for human consumption.

I have learned so much in the past several years and put many of these things to work. I have achieved much in controlling Type II Diabetes and know I will achieve even more. I am at a point right now where I am putting all of the pieces of the puzzle in place and fine tuning all of the parts of my life that help with this balancing act. From the reduction of stress through minimalism and mindfulness to a solid workout plan to a whole foods diet and a good sleeping pattern. I can see where a weeks long vacation can throw things out of wack as it effects each of these things. But now it is time to take it all home and just keep on keeping on with the plan.

I can remember where I started in this mission with a blood glucose reading of over 500 and my belly hanging over my belt with a cigarette hanging out of my mouth. Now I keep my blood sugar in healthy ranges each day and look in the mirror with pride as I see the body of a stronger, younger man. But I am not yet finished and I will continue to push forward to find that perfect balance that will bring me to the healthiest state of being that a man with Type II Diabetes can possibly be in. I awake early each morning with a positive attitude and love every moment I have to dedicate to life and good health. My workouts are not a task, but a labor of love and I choose the foods that I know are most beneficial to my well being. I have long given up smoking cigarets and poisoning my system with all of those harsh chemicals they provide. And just recently have learned about gut health and currently working on correcting all of the imbalance that lives inside me. I love my life and am happy just to be alive.

Bowflex- BACK & SHOULDERS
Pulldowns- 310 lbs- 25
Rows- 310 lbs- 20
Reverse Flys- 60/60 lbs- 20
Shoulder Press- 190 lbs- 22
Front Raises- 45/45 lbs- 12
Side Raises- 45/45 lbs- 12
Shrugs- 310 lbs

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, minimalist, paleo, primal, quit smoking, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to The Type 2 Balancing Act

so glad to hear you have that balance and you are learning to listen to you body. That is what matter most!!

2. alzatar1989 says:

Wow, I’ve had a read of your blog and really congratulate you on your hard work and dedication. I look forward to seeing how much further you go! That’s a heck of a blood glucose reading that you had in the past. I work for the National Health Service (NHS) in England and we count anything over 20 as an emergency A&E admission and between 2/4 – 4/6 within normal rangeGlad to hear you are on the road to a healthier lifestyle. Best wishes and best of luck!
    Alistair – 26 – England – United Kingdom

• Thank you my distant friend. It’s always wonderful hearing from folks from the United Kingdom. I am learning that the body and the mind are pretty much the same. When you make up your mind to do something the body will follow.

3. EmmaJCarson says:

Good for you – I do find that you have to alter things as you go along and find out what works

4. mmrli says:

Reblogged this on In Between Moderation and commented:
    Another interesting use of balance and moderation

Well said my friend, and you touched me when you said, “My workouts are not a task, but a labor of love…” I never thought of exercise, (which I abhor) as a labor of love….I am going to mull that over today….see if I can’t wrap my head around that and make my dreaded exercise into a labor of love!! I know its beneficial to me, in all aspects of my life…I know what the results are and like the results I see, its the action of actually doing it, its one place in my journey I still fight the rebel in me, exercise time…I have broken my sets up over the afternoon so I will not stress my knee and shoulder joints, but that isn’t even helping….good post glad to see you in a really balanced place…love the picture…I am a huge rock fan….collect everywhere I go….Namaste….

6. So great to hear about your progress over the past few years and great (in a weird way) to know that someone else out there continues to tweak his regime and listen to his body when required.
    Keep up the great work.

7. What a great post. Education should be forever, and learning happens in all places. So glad you are continuing to test the waters and get the results you seek. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for sharing this Billy, inspiring as usual and with great info as well, so the beast is definitely back!

9. Hello friend, I am extremely pleased to see somebody that understands the ability to reverse type2 diabetes and also realizes it does not improve overnight. The improved sleep schedule, stress reduction, whole foods, and bow flex workouts are exactly what you need. The triangle of retraining the body of insulin sensitivity are exactly resistance training, food, and sleep. The bowflex is an excellent choice because the weights are not free weights, but simply strong resistance bands. Resistance will train all muscles in a target area to use their own intercellular processes to create energy. Enough training of this and not just insulin, but muscles can break down glucose. Your numbers are looking phenomenal and keep up the excellent work!

10. Pingback: Smoky Thursday | Time No Matter