8 astonishing benefits of walking

The more I read about the benefits of walking the more I am astonished that it I don’t quite do it often enough.

Step, Step, Step

illustration-of-senior-couples-taking-a-walk-on-the-beach_1276981198 astonishing benefits of walking

Walking just 40 minutes a day could seriously benefit your health; check out these amazing perks to taking a simple stroll around the neighborhood.

Walking is known to melt your thighs and perk up your bum. But its healthy resumοΏ½ boasts some even more impressive accomplishments, from cash savings to increasing the odds of survival for breast cancer patients. A lot of attention has been paid to getting in 10,000 steps of walking, jogging, or running a day. A 40-minute, two-mile walk will chip away half of those steps, and everyday activities can usually accumulate the other half.

Here are eight reasons to take those extra steps and make walking a part of your healthy lifestyle:

It deflects diabetes. New research links brisk walking to a significant risk reduction for developing type 2 diabetes. Insulin resistance is a predictor of this disease, even in…

View original post 583 more words

This entry was posted in simple living. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to 8 astonishing benefits of walking

1. hippyish says:

I have a Garmin Vivofit and have to say that it’s a HUGE reality check to see how LITTLE exercise most of use get (me!) especially working in an office. 10,000 steps a day is no joke! I don’t even come close….but at least I know the truth lol!

• Maybe we need to start a dance while working program. Woo Hoo. Get up of of that thing! πŸ™‚

• hippyish says:

Truth! I sure need too lol. This sitting all day at work is not cool

• I am seeing a growing number of standup workstation being installed where I work. Maybe mini treadmills under the desk will be next.

• hippyish says:

Oh that is amazing! I really wish employers would recognize this as an issue or at least offer stand-up as an option. I’ve been sitting on my tush every day for like, 15 years. I JUST talked to a chiropractor this afternoon and told him that my body is REALLY HURTING from sitting all day at the office. I still try to get up and move around, but employers look at you like you are ‘crazy’ and ‘lazy’ for getting up. What’s up with that?

• I sit down all day too, but am constantly getting up and walking around. If I sit for more than 15 minutes I get cranky. Oh, we don’t want to get Billy cranky! My fellow workers are used to me.

• hippyish says:

Haha, me too. I’m up and down, up and down. Drives me crazy! Thinking about getting a fitness cert soon so maybe I can do something more active. We shall see! πŸ™‚

• I did it years ago but let it expire. I have been thinking about getting it again and sending my life in a positive direction but the biggest problem is that I need medical benefits and most gyms do not provide their employees with these. Sometime I even think about doing the same jobs I did when I was young like roofing or landscaping or even loading truck, but they don’t pay enough. I guess I am stuck to a chair that I frequently jump out of.

• hippyish says:

I feel the same way. I’m not sure what the answer to health insurance is these days in a ‘certified’ position. That’s the main reason my butt is stuck to the chair as we speak: my employer provides health insurance. Surely there is a better way? Perhaps if I didn’t sloth around working and got into personal training I wouldn’t need as much healthcare? Hmm. Hahah, I don’t know, but if you find the answer, please let me know πŸ™‚

• I will continue to search and If I figure it out you will be first to know. πŸ™‚

2. hippyish says:

Although, I forgot to add: I know you have a diabetic regimine that I am certain requires med attention so I def understand! But, you are kicking butt in fitness and food so I know that has to help your numbers! Awesome, inspiration by the way!

• I have actually been off of all medication for over a year now. This is one of the reasons that I am so critical about keeping it in check. And thank you. πŸ™‚

• hippyish says:

That is even MORE inspiring than anything – that you can control health without ‘meds.’

• Thank you. Most meds are developed from the the compounds of vegetables. If we are eating correctly the naturals sources of these compounds can be enough to help correct our symptoms. I do try to eat as many as I can without going too crazy.

Thanks Billy! this is priceless, I still keep walking as my main hobby!!

4. amandawren70 says:

Hi, just looked at your blog. Moved to France from the UK a year ago to follow a frugal, stress-free life! Walk 5k with our Weimaraners every day and keep busy on the veg patch and garden. Never felt better! Good luck with keeping well with diabetes.