My Garden Salad

garden-saladYesterday I had just a simple salad for dinner with lettuce freshly picked and cleaned from my little garden. Adding just a few cucumbers and tomatoes from the local organic farm was a perfect blend when topped with balsamic and olive oil. With no other foods besides this salad it became the main course and because my focus was on just this simple salad it brought forth flavors I didn’t even know existed. I ate just a little bit more than I normally do and felt no guilt at all.

This probably the perfect summer time dinner as I am usually not very hungry around dinner time. During the course of the day I had my fill of a good amount of proteins and carbohydrates and this salad was the perfect way to end a summer day. Those beautiful leaves of lettuce that I care for each day were crisp and light and made me feel as if I were a part of the very nature I live in.

Today I feel so guilty for not working out and I feel as if my body is crying out for exercise. My problems with my gut has seem to have gone away since I stopped eating eggs, but I am still being careful until I can get in to see my doctor. Just as a measure I started eating yogurt twice a day although I know that it is laden with sugar. It seems to be working as my blood sugar numbers have been staying low. I have been reading up on the subject of Prebiotics and Probiotics and putting together a plan of attack.

I so remember when I was younger older folks complaining about these same issues and now here I am a new member of the older folks. LOL But I am not the one who will simply decide to start taking a pill. I am the one who will figure out how to adjust my diet to repair my gut bacteria and return to a healthy state.

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, gardening, growing up, health, life, minimalist, nature, Oregon, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, vegan, vegetarian, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to My Garden Salad

1. Marta Frant says:

I make home-made yogurt almost every day. And the pleasure is I know exactly what it contains and what it doesn’t contain (sugar, for example). Home-cooking yogurt has so many health benefits that I can’t even list all of them 🙂

I too cook my own yogurt and it tastes so much better than the store bought variety. The probiotic issue can be corrected with diet, I did so with my son when he was younger. Takes a bit longer but you don’t have to take a bunch of pills to do it.

3. Maryanne says:

I’m lazy so I don’t make my own yogurt like the others (who are impressing me big time!) but you can find brands that don’t contain sugar. Look for “plain” and also grass-fed. I know for a fact many stores carry only sugar yogurts and it’s such a shame. Some Shop Rites are superior to others, but Whole Foods and Fairway carry good yogurts. Read all the labels until you memorize which brands are good ones. Look for “cream top” too.

• Outstanding Maryanne. I have a Natural Grocers a block away from work. I will stop in and do some research. I would love to be in a position to make my own yogurt too, but with a 12 hour work day it just doesn’t fit into my schedule.

Good for you….diet can cure many things….but really! raw sauerkraut….that will kill any bad bacteria you have in your gut, or feed it…LOL Garlic is also a natural healing agent for the stomach….and you can get good yogurt at whole foods…sugarless and has the effective ingredients to help neutralize your stomach… here’s a site that has some interesting facts….https://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/flora.html just a little help from a friend…..LOL
    glad your feeling better….and isn’t a simple salad the best…..red beets and cucumbers on mine are one of my favorite combos…I mix lemon and a little garlic for a dressing…fresh cracked black pepper….yummm

• Kat, your making me hungry and I just had breakfast. I am reading the link now.

• New Journey says:

I found he link interesting…Billy you also have to remember your were just coiming off a from really sick….so your good flora in your gut might have been still recovering from you illness and then you had eggs and it couldn’t do it, couldn’t process them, no enzymes left to break them down properly….just another thought….

5. jncthedc says:

I agree with you. Taking a pill does not provide the body the nutrients it needs. Your approach requires a little education, but that education goes a long way to improved health and quality living.

6. Emy Will says:

Simple but delicious 😀

7. You salad freak you! 🙂 I bet mine is bigger! Fresh romaine, a few slices of firm tomatoes, avocado, alfalfa sprout, topped with sauted carrots, broccoli, onions, garlic, and mushrooms in real butter (little pat) and olive oil with a vinegarette dressing and just a tad bit of black pepper…I’m talkin’ bout taste bud heaven! That’s lunch for me with freshly juiced green grapes or a bolthouse mega greens juice (if I cheat).

8. Boomdeeadda says:

Bravo for your little garden and the hands that tend it. I can’t ever seem to have just a salad for dinner. Dinner being my main meal of the day means I’ve not had a big breakfast or lunch. Right now I’m trying to lay off the wine at dinner to cut a few carbs out of the day. Since there’s so much sugar in white wine, I’m hoping this will help me lose a few pounds too. Well see.

9. ttabor says:

Good for you!! I love salads, I started clean eating a month ago, I am down 15 pounds and 9 inches but better than that I feel amazing!!! 6 small meals a day and limited exercise due to a back injury and still losing. i use Kefir every morning along with 4 cups greens and 2 cups of fruits as a smoothie. It replaced my 5 shot of espresso a day in the mornings! Thank you for inspiring