Good Times and Bad Times

DSCN5043Life is just about what you make of it. We have good times and we have bad times and it always seems that it is the bad times we love to talk about, but over time it is always the good times we remember. As I was sitting and talking with Sharon last night which is something we do just about every night, we were talking about things in the past. We had quite a few rough patches that we had to get through as life through curve balls our way and as I tried to recall all of the details of those memories, I simply could not do it. I know that in each situation we had to step up to the plate and take on each problem head on and work through it and eventually get past it, but what strength it took is actually beyond me. All I know that because we did it before so many times I have the faith that if any problem should come our I do have the strength and know how to take care of it.

But it is the good times I can recall every moment of without hesitation. The sight of the wild horses walking on the beaches of Maryland. The smell of the ocean while sitting on the shores of Oregon, or the sand between my toes on the beach on Outer Banks of North Carolina. The soft breeze as it blew through the leaves as we sat at a riverbank high up at the end of a trail in Mt. Hood along with the force felt from the energy of a might waterfall at Niagara Falls. The way Sharon’s lips felt the first time we kissed after months of kidding around with each other and never knowing that we would someday be married. And so, so many more which would take me a lifetime to recall and write down.

With these thoughts in mind I can recognize these good times as I live them and know that it too will be a lasting loving memory with a flame that never dies. And also recognize that during hard times I have the strength to get through it and in the future I will probably forget most of it. Just simply live life and enjoy those moments so dear to our hearts and simply deal with whatever problems come your way. In the end it will be the good times that are most important to you.

I am finally back on the treadmill and it does feel wonderful. Blood sugar seems to be in check and body weight is balanced.

Treadmill – 30 Minutes

This entry was posted in adventures, body building, fitness, food, fun, growing up, health, hiking, life, meditation, minimalist, nature, Oregon, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Good Times and Bad Times

1. johntangfs says:

Thanks for the life lessons! Glad I followed a blog from someone 30 years my senior so I can be better prepared for when life throws similar events at me. Cheers! 🍷

2. Your memories are so wonderful..You and your wife are lucky to have each other πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

3. jncthedc says:

Glad to see you’re feeling comfortable with your recent adjustments in lifestyle. This article produces a calming affect for the reader along with a smile on one’s face. If your notice your stress levels rising, come back to it and read it; you will feel 100% better afterward. Enjoyed this very much.

I think you should write a book/notes with all the wonderful memories you hold of the time spent with your children and special moments with their mother….its something I have been toying with, something I can leave them after I am gone. Just reading your post makes me want to start that project today..LOL Like you and Sharon, Peter and I spend many a hour while traveling reminiscing about our past lives we have both lived. Many tears of what we have both lost and much laughter of what we had is always shared….then there is the dreaming of want we desire…its great to have a partners that make life a little more special….I try not to dwell on the bad memories as they can take over my thinking and then it becomes an obsession….depression is never far away at those times…. bad times is what was…sad as it may have been….it will always be there but tucked away in a special compartment in my brain only to taken out briefly it that…learn from the past good or bad and move on to make happier memoires to cover the sad….glad your back in the groove beastman….flowers yes or no…???

5. So many lovely memories! I would love to read more about each of them. πŸ™‚

6. Val Boyko says:

I hear you! Life is all about the highs and lows and how we find contentment throughout it all πŸ™‚

Beautiful!! You are such a genius with words Billy. Thank you for sharing this post and your feelings within. I have enjoyed both very much!

8. Really enjoyed your post and I love that like us, you enjoy the outdoors and all that nature has in store for us. I’ve just been pondering the topic of hope and in your post, that’s what I read. I’m not sure if you mentioned the word hope, but it’s definitely there in your words and wisdom. I think it’s hope that makes it possible to keep going, even through the most difficult times. And it’s hope that allows us to look back and see the good times we’ve had, rather than concentrate on the bad. Life is definitely too short for that.

9. Jo says:

As soon as I saw the ponies I knew where you were. Moments and people are the benefit of a well-lived life. Enjoyed reading your post. Jo @ Let’s Face the Music

10. Melanie says:

This is a really good point. As things are getting us down we need to vent about them & I know I’m guilty of boring myself with my same story of the current hardship I’m facing as I tell it to the friends & family I speak to about what’s been going on. I think this is a good message for me to remember as I start my new blog, to use the blog as a means to a positive end not a place to whinge endlessly! lol. Thank you for your thoughts πŸ™‚

• At times it is not easy getting over hardships, but keeping a positive attitude and understanding that life comes in cycles it won’t be long before you will be smiling both inside and out.