Moving Minimalist

7790_origAs I am slowly preparing to make this move over 3000 miles across the country I question every single item I must pack. Although I am just in the beginning stages of making this move and decided that it would make life so much easier towards the end to just get some things out of the way right now. With the thought in mind… “If it doesn’t serve a purpose or something I absolutely love…” I have once again added so many more items to my pile of crap to get rid of. If I don’t need it or want it here why would I want it move it and not want it there. Get rid of it! There is nothing worse than opening boxes after moving and trying to figure out what to do with stuff that you really don’t want anyway. Why move it in the first place?

What if we took this same applied principal in our minimalist practice everyday? I mean what it we pretended like we were moving and going through all of the stuff we have in our houses as if we were making the decision whether or not to move it 3000 miles away? If you had to go through the packing process, how many things do you own that you feel serve some type of purpose or you absolutely love? Are they worth all the work of packing them, moving them and then trying to find a new place to put them in a new home?

We all have items stashed away in our closets, basements, attics and garages that are just there because we wanted them out of the way and for what ever reason we felt as if they were something that we really wanted to have. The truth is that If they were something that served a purpose or something we absolutely loved they would be working for us in our daily routines, or sitting proudly on display where we can see them each day. Do I really want to move them to a new place where I will once again end up tucking them away in a new hiding place? Do you have duplicate items like a working toaster and another one sitting in your pantry that you received as a gift? How many things do you own two or even three of? I don’t want to move them, do you?

As I am slowly going through each room in my house the pile in my garage is getting bigger and bigger. Soon I will have a huge yard sale and will be able to pad my pockets with a few extra dollars. I will be able to allow family members to take some things that they may need. I will make a trip to Goodwill to donate many items that won’t sell at the garage sale to help out others and also create a tax write off for the donations I make. Then finally I will make a trip to the dump to place whatever is left in it’s final resting place.

I have gone through this whole process before and at the end found that the overall feeling is very liberating. What I also learned was that even though I thought I got rid of just about everything that I didn’t want to move I found that there were still to many items that we moved that should of never had been moved. When we arrived Portland and rented a small apartment it was necessary to rent a garage to place all of our stuff in that didn’t fit in the apartment. A year went by and we actually found no need to take any item out of the garage as all we needed was in our apartment. That garage cost us 100.00 dollars per month and we used it for a year before we purchased a home. That was 1200.00 dollars that could have been saved or used to pay down debt. What an utter waste of money, but at least I walked away with a lesson to be learned. I am now practicing that lesson as I anticipate once again renting an apartment for a year before purchasing a home. This time with only the things I absolutely love or serve a purpose in our daily lives.

One other thing that I learned was that as I get closer to moving day and most of our stuff is packed in boxes the rooms we live in take on a whole new vibration. With only a few items left in the rooms I felt as though I actually had more air to breath and more room to move around. It was like living in a brand new home. If we could accomplish this without actually moving how much better would we feel about the home we live in. We may even feel as if our homes are just a little too big for us. So yea, be a MinimalistΒ  like you are moving.

As with my workout I am at it once again lifting like a beast. I am feeling energetic and producing results. Even though my blood sugar is still over 100 I am making slight adjustments in my diet to balance out the damage being done to my muscles. I will probably discuss this more in detail tomorrow.

Bowflex- BACK
Pulldowns- 310- 25, 27, 25
Rows- 310- 27, 25, 24
Reverse Flys- 60/60- 15, 14, 13

Meals
6:30 AM- Breakfast- Cottage Cheese & Blueberries
8:15 AM- Protein Shake
12:30 AM- Lunch- Steak, Mushrooms, Salad, Green Beans
6:30 PM- Dinner- Lamb Chops, Spinach, Salad

This entry was posted in body building, debt, finances, fitness, food, health, life, minimalist, Oregon, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Moving Minimalist

1. Florida Life Minimalist says:

I’ve considered this method several times. There’s no better way to minimize than to have to move all of your stuff! You never realize how much stuff you have until you have to move it all. Don’t we all say that when we move? Since it’s all getting pulled out of the closets anyway, might as well make the move easier by getting rid of some of it (or more). I can’t wait for you to arrive and experience Florida life!

2. We live in a small condo and have rented storage space for nearly two years. We are getting ready to do a major purge and end the rental. As you said, we go over there maybe once or twice a year to grab one or two items. It is certainly not worth the cost, and we are not missing the boxed up items we haven’t been using! We are planning an eventual move to the Virgin Islands, and my hope is to take a tiny amount with us. It is funny since I started moving toward minimalism a few years ago how I now analyze every purchase. I have a hard and fast “no more knick-knacks” rule!

Who me? I like to nest.

4. I agree Billy, I only live in a two bed apartment and I absolutely refuse to keep hold of stuff if it no longer serves a purpose. I have sold and sold and sold on ebay and have always been amazed at why I possibly thought I needed that item in the first place. Nowadays minimalism is the absolute best way as far as I am concerned. Clothes, furniture, cooking and entertainment. Everything else can go hang….!

5. suzewannabe says:

“If I didn’t own it today, would I buy it?”

6. When I worked as a removal man for some years, the old guys at that company had developed a “golden rule”: If it’s been sitting in your attic or cellar for a year, you will never need it.
    I have lesser and lesser boxes with “personal memories that I just can’t throw out”.
    I can get new furniture, kitchen utensils, tools and home tech (I never do).

The only thing I have a problem with now is the books. I regard many of them as personal friends so I can’t abandon them. πŸ™‚

7. amaase says:

A few months ago I read “The life-changing magic of tidying up: the Japanese art of de-cluttering.” It was a game changer. The whole concept is a means to de-clutter once and for all and never having to do it again — for life! I am half way through the process and already things are easier to deal with house-wise…

Life is funny….I have so many friends and family who are cleaning out their homes of not only the clutter but all the crap they didn’t need to begin with. We started down sizing on crap a couple years ago…and I still look around and have sooo much more to get rid of….I had a brother in law who every six months threw out anything they didn’t use or touch….he was a true minimalist…I have tried to instil that in my life but have trouble getting rid of thing,…on my last move 7 years ago…I found stuff in drawers that I forgot I even owned…LOL my husband and I dream about moving somewhere, we just haven’t found that somewhere that is better than where we live…We have driven around the entire US and he checked out every state and we always end up saying there’s no place like out home…maybe if we lighten the load that will help him feel like a new home….

• I suppose at this point in my life I am a true adventurist and actually enjoying living in different places. Someday I would love to be able to hit the road in an RV, but still have a place to call home.

• New Journey says:

We wish we would of rented a few different sizes and models of RV’s before we purchased….we would of went with a 22 footer, still have the capability of parking just about anywhere and all roads are open to you….plus its just that little bit of extra space that would of made the difference…we have a 19’…small but do able, I just would like a little more space and a place to nap without having to put down the table…rving is great….I recommend it to all…

• Yea, I have been listening to several RV podcasts and just love the stories of all of the adventures taken in nature. It’s interesting to me that there are large communities of full time rv’ers who travel certain routes around the country. I would love to do this one day, but again I would always want to have a home base. I have looked at a few trailers and agree 22″ would probably be ideal.

• New Journey says:

My brother and his wife were snow birders for over ten years….in the winter they were in Yuma and in summer up North Washington state with a brother….they had everything I storage….I couldn’t do that I love coming home to my yard and house….we took 3 months and went around the US and it was fun…but got a little road weary….there is a young couple “Gone with the Wynn’s’, Fleetwood has given them a big beautiful class A to do a trial on the road….they are pretty interesting…worth checking him out…

• Sounds awesome. I think I would get weary too as although I love adventure I really am a home body and can’t wait to get home.

• New Journey says:

Off topic of your post,,,,have you or are using spices and herbs to help keep your blood sugars down or in control?? you never mention the use of them..?? just curious….

• I was using them for a while along with vitamins but actually found little benefit at all. I know they do work well for some, but I really do believe that the healthy foods I eat each day are enough.

• New Journey says:

good to know you tried them…..I think what your doing is probably as good if not than the vitamin and herbs…nothing like healthy eating and exercise!!!

• I do eat quite a bit of herbs in my cooking.

• New Journey says:

So do I, really adds something to the meal, fresh herbs….I love flat leaf parsley chopped on everything….I don’t think there is any herbs I don’t kike…LOL think you will be able to grow year round in Florida…

• Yes and yum πŸ˜€

9. facetfully says:

We are going through the same as we move…actually next week! I was momentarily moved by the fact that you are leaving OR, but reading the comments says why. Congrats…being close to those kids will be good. The only thing I struggle with here in OR is being so far from my family in the Midwest.

10. Anne Lene says:

I have “downsized” for years, and I’m down to a reasonable amount of stuff. I still did a “pretend” packing party a short while ago, which got rid of even more stuff.

I find as I minimize my stuff, I want less and less! If I was to move I’m sure I would “loose” even more of my things (depending on size of new place). But I’m happy in my 807? square feet place, so I’m staying put for now…. but will still continue to “downsize” πŸ˜‰

Good luck with minimizing your stuff for the move.

11. Anne Lene says:

Thank you. I think so too. I love my “little” house πŸ™‚

Thank you Billy! Yes those attachments are difficult to let go. I should bite my tongue and begin to clean up my drawers now.

13. itsjusttoni says:

I moved 10 times in four years (coast to coast). Our last move was from Baja California (yes, Mexico) to Florida. Now my policy when considering a purchase is: would I move it 1500 miles or can I eat it? Nearly everything in my house serves more than one purpose, too.

14. oconahua says:

We did this last year in August, sold most of our items, gave them away or donated and made our retirement trip to Mexico. We live in a small, rural town surrounded by mountains and fields. Loving our simplified lifestyle, growing our food, hanging out with family and outside most of the time. It can be done folks! Stuff becomes a great burden. Free yourself!

15. lizziemoto says:

We recently moved from Wales to Scotland, from a quaint rural cottage to a brand new house. Of course much of our ‘stuff’ just didn’t look right in the new house and had to go! A plus point is that we have been told to put nothing in the attic (or risk flattening the deep insulation) and that is quite liberating. Emptying our attic in Wales was traumatic and much had been destroyed by mice! Happy clearing…..

16. Elisabeth P says:

I’ll remember your words if and when I’ll have to move. Unless I want to pay extra rent for a storeroom.