The Tale of the Scone

7423969710_ac77eb7129_cThere I was over the weekend sitting in the parking lot eating a scone in secrecy. How do these things happen? I just went to the store to pick up a few things that we needed for the week and I passed by that bakery section. There it sat on one of those displays that always seem to get in your way in the middle of the isle, in a single package and seemed to glow. Without thinking I picked it up and placed it in my cart. What harm could it do? It’s just one scone. Anyone who knows me also knows that I have always had a certain weakness for scones.

I finished up my shopping and went through the checkout and was soon heading back to my car in the parking lot. I placed my packages in the back seat and once again noticed that scone. It was sitting at the top of the bag and my thoughts quickly turned to negative thoughts about bringing that sugar laden beauty into my home. I am the guy who is winning the war on Type II Diabetes. What would my wife have to say about that scone? Not good.

I pulled that little box with the plastic glass window out of the bag and brought it with me to the front seat. I placed it on the passenger seat as I started the car. I turned and looked down at it then looked all around me to see it there was anyone watching like a drug addict waiting the opportunity to get their fix. I saw no one and quickly opened that box and took the first bite. Oh, it was like heaven as I felt the sugar rush over my tongue. I felt the evil permeating from this little pastry, but I didn’t care. It is moments like this that certainly make life worth living. A few cars pulled up around me as I was just about halfway through eating my scone. I waited for them to get out of there cars and walk to the store before I indulged in the final bites of glory. They seemed to have been sitting in there cars forever and I felt like some were staring at me and just waiting for me to take that next bite. It would certainly give them the opportunity to criticize me for giving into this crazy sugar addiction. They soon got out of there cars and walked towards the store, but I noticed that there were still empty parking spaces available for others to pull up into. I finished that scone in two bites as crumbs fell to the floor of my car. Oh great, now I left traces of evidence behind. So I got out of my car and cleaned up as many crumbs as I could pick up, the rest I brushed under the front seat.

As I pulled into my driveway I looked into the mirror one more time to check for any icing around my mouth and brushed off my clothing one last time to make sure that there weren’t any cling ons that may have attached themselves to my shirt or pants. No, everything looks good. I walked into the house and announced that I was home. Yes, I was home with a new secret buried deep inside me. Yes, I got away with it! Woo Hoo!

But what was it that I got away with? A deep seated memory of 465 calories of bakery crack devoured in the dark recesses of a supermarket parking lot? The pain of living with this memory in the form of guilt is a form of punishment each time I sit down in the morning and look at my high blood sugars. No, I don’t need to answer the question why… Because I certainly do know why. Oh, surely the curse of that scone will live with me for an eternity.

I must unleash this curse, tell my wife about it and share it with the world. And this is why today I am writing about the Tale of a Scone.

Bowflex- ARMS
Curls- 90/90- 17, 18, 15
Hammer Curls- 70/70- 18, 17, 16
Tricep Pulldown- 80/80- 21, 18, 14
Dips- 155/155- 25, 25, 24

Meals
6:30 AM- Breakfast- Cottage Cheese, Blueberries
9:30 AM- Protein Shake, Blueberries
12:30 PM- Lunch- Pork, Broccoli
6:30 PM- Dinner- Steak, Salad

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to The Tale of the Scone

1. merlinjr01 says:

You are not alone. My weakness is pinwheels or cinnamon swirls. At least “scone” sounds more classy!

2. Florida Life Minimalist says:

Sounds like you are depriving yourself too much. Is there a healthy, homemade version you could make instead of the store bought option? Don’t feel too guilty. As a mother who constantly has children trying to eat everything that’s mine and a husband that always gives me the stink-eye when I eat sweets, I all too often find myself in the same position, having to hide and sneak around just to enjoy my treats! It’s good that you’ve come clean today, but don’t beat yourself up over it.

3. That scone looks amazing.

4. Sandy says:

Hilarious!! There are far worse secrets kept by many … Oh the power sweets have over our control. You shouldn’t feel guilty, just work it off or something. I Learned a while ago, there isn’t any cheating with diabetes but there is some allowance for novelties here and there. I found it funny because I used to do the same thing …
    My tale for the day: I ate a homemade Rice Krispie square (gluten free) at 3am this morning while I watched a massive storm take over my property. I hate thunder!! I’m just proud of myself for not eating the whole plate of them with that crazy loud storm.😉

But now I’m in the mood to bake some yummy blackberry scones!!!

5. Paul says:

I too am beginning to become a secret devourer of pleasures I should not have. Before hand I had what I wanted, when I wanted but not now. I have 3 children and a girlfriend who watch all that I eat and last night I gave in and secretly had a handful of pringles. Oh the shame!!

Surely they wont notice? Right? They had all gone to bed and what’s the harm!

I have to say though the thought of a scone with clotted cream & jam – Damn I should not have read this very well put and brilliantly funny post 😉

6. Bridgette's Digits 🔛 An Epic Weight Loss Journey says:

U think u have it under control Mon – Fri… & the weekend hits & it’s that one item sitting in the store display case that will take u down!

This weekend 4 me was a Culver’s tv ad for ice cream -and- then, I had to have it. I told myself on the way to Culver’s I’d only have one scoop in a dish but ended up getting two. My intent was riddled with lies. But oh how good it was. LOL

7. The guilt is a killer. Confession is good for the soul. 😉

8. jncthedc says:

I appreciate how hard you work at your health, but your difficulty with practicing the behaviors you say you will perform may result in an undesirable outcome. I always say the two things that motivate in life are PAIN and PLEASURE. Please, for your sake, choose the pleasure of good health rather than the pain of disease especially as you transition into retirement and a new wonderful place to live.

9. Ree says:

My grocery store “treat” for the ride home used to be a large order of McDonald’s fries. Now it’s a handful of almonds.

I saw the title of your blog post and mentally renamed it “Romancing the Scone.” 😉

But I digress.

I think we all have our guilty pleasures, but in your case, they’re more physically harmful than most. That’s probably why lactose intolerant people sneak ice cream, and ADHD kids ditch their meds. We all want to feel “normal” and when we have a medical or other condition that requires we change our lifestyle, it’s tough.

In the end, we’re all adults and can do what we want as long as we realize we are responsible for the consequences.

I too have a wife who is pretty strict about what food enters our house (except when she’s in “a mood” and brings in junk herself). For the most part, it’s a good thing as it keeps me on the straight and narrow, but periodically, I am willing to take responsibility for being “bad” and to eat some junk.

But in my case, not being a diabetic, the consequences aren’t so dire.

• The world certainly does have it’s temptations. Maybe living on a deserted island with cocoanuts and fresh with will solve the problem. Me and my buddy Wilson. LOL. Romancing the Scones? LOL Too funny.

11. josie416 says:

Hahaha I had to laugh again! Over the years, as I try (and fail a lot of the time) to conquer my addiction to sweets, I have learned to spend more and more emphasis on the positive, and less and less on punishing myself. My sugar habit goes up and down, but at least I no longer add self-hatred to it. Check out my post this week on gut bacteria (it’s short and funny — I’ll bet they were talking to you loud and clear! now-whatblog.com

12. 300to1derland says:

Bakery pastries are my downfall as well. Same with my husband’s, and he has type II. We’re trying to combat this by eating more fruit and cottage cheese. Thank you for sharing your little scone story – it was something I could relate to very much.

• Ah, that’s what I had for breakfast this morning. Fresh Blueberries and cottage cheese and it was yummy. Way better that that stupid scone… well maybe not that good, but it was good. LOL

13. Nichole says:

I have a similar relationship with sugary treats. I was diabetic during both of my pregnancies and my family is full of type 2 so I was on the road for it myself. A big motivation for me to get my sugar/bread carb intake under control.

14. storyad says:

I completely understand…Little Debbie Cakes are my downfall.

15. Reb says:

Good for you for doing the right thing and opening up! I admire your honesty very much, especially as it was the perfect crime 🙂

I have a major problem with pasta. Major. Just writing about it here makes my mouth water.

16. You are hilarious! Looking around to make sure that no one sees you, lol! It’s funny to me because I’ve done the same thing. I Can live without the sweets but I always loved starches. This Mexican restaurant near me makes a killer taco salad. I usually order it without the shell. But about a week ago, I let them bring the shell because I wanted just a bite or two. I took two bites, but unconsciously looked around first. Like anyone would care. Lol!! You’ve got this. Being dedicated doesn’t mean bring perfect. Thanks for sharing!

17. Lol! Good thing you came forward. That way when Just make sure no one got a photo of you and the scone.

18. Oops I was fixing my comment…I was going to say, that way, if anyone got a picture of you and the scone, it won’t be such a big shocker when the carb police release post it…lol!

19. I can’t type tonight….

20. Pingback: What’s the difference? | Now What?