I Need Help with Workout Routines

bigstock-help-please-helping-hand-111914-e1416352858954So here we stand and yet another high blood sugar morning after a strength training workout day. My diet hasn’t changed much, yet my numbers are high again. So what have I noticed? The one significant thing that I am learning is that with rest in between strength training sessions has left me with energy enough to lift weights beyond my normal capacity. I am using the same amount of weight that I normally use, yet I am hitting about 8 more reps on each set with ease. I have also noticed that during the day I am starving and looking for foods with carbohydrates. I am also noticing that I am bulkier and I don’t know if that is from muscle growth or fat, but I am opting for the second because my waistline has also increased.

Someone suggested to me that I lift a little lighter, but the problem is that I really don’t know how to not lift to my capacity. Taking that last rep to the breaking point is all I have ever known and not doing that in my mind is a violation of strength training. I don’t feel those hunger pangs on cardio days and rest days, it is just on strength training days. The body needs sufficient energy to repair muscles and this process does take upwards of 72 hours and this may explain why I get hungry even on my off strength training days, but not as bad as the day after.

I need to be able to workout to drive blood sugars down, yet I also need to keep my hunger under control. I also need to keep workout inflammation at a minimum while doing it.

The bottom line is that I am storing fat and my blood sugars are not steady. I need some suggestions…

REST DAY

Meals
Breakfast- Cottage Cheese
Lunch- Chicken, Aspararus
Dinner- Pork Chops, Green Beans

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to I Need Help with Workout Routines

1. eatcoastal says:

I’m not a nutritionist or a fitness expert but I have found some great advice on the MyFitnessPal blog, Hello Healthy.

2. dandoesfitness says:

Hey, love the blog! On the note of training, have you tried supersetting your weight sessions. Maybe light a little lighter but hit the same muscle back to back for x amount of rounds. I usually do 4 sets of 10 reps say two chest workouts back to back. Brilliant way to keep the heart rate up during a weight training workout so burning lots of fat!

3. Rather than reaching for carbs what does your protein and fat intake look like? Try increasing your protein and healthy fat intake which will help your muscles repair, help with the hunger on the lifting days and also help with energy. What does your week look like? How often are you doing cardio vs strength and what’s your main goal you are wanting to achieve?

4. Do you think you are eating enough? Not eating enough and training can put your body under stress which in turn can play havoc with your blood sugar levels. Have you got your cortisol tested? Could you try protein and fats for breakfast and lunch and then have more carbs (like adding a sweet potato) in the evening? Maybe you could also fill up on vegetables (especially dark leafy greens) at your other two meals?

5. Hey Billy, I used to lift serious weights until about 15 years ago when I injured my back and started to become the out of shape and overweight guy you saw when I first started this post so I truly understand your feelings on why lift if it’s not a struggle but I can honestly say you start to get a buzz out of the lighter weight going for longer. I now do 3 sets of 30 reps and on the last set if I still have energy I know I have the weight set too light. I basically took my levels where I was happy at 3 x 15 reps and then removed 10kg from the weight and immediately boosted to 3 x 30 and the end of the last set is burning believe me so I start to get my lifting buzz.
    This is only an idea and was so counter intuitive to me when I started I thought I would never get over it but no, I am not only over it, I look forward to the less stress it puts on my joints and muscles whilst still giving me the buzz and the burn.
    Give it a go, you might find to works for you but regardless of this or not, it does sound like you need to play around with your program because you haven’t been happy for many weeks now.

Good morning…I am not one to give advise on weight training, but if you think less weight in your training will help, then just do it, give it a try, just do it, I found it strange to hear you say you really don’t know how to life lighter?? What, just take the dang weight off the bar….Really Billy, come on, its okay to lighten up a little on your weights, I have to agree with adding more proteins instead of carbs…I had a trainer a few years ago, when I could afford one…LOL anyway he always said after strong work outs when I was complaining I was hungry her preferred I eat a chicken breast, lean proteins and a piece of hard cheese and stay away from the carbs after…he said they are to be eaten before the heavy workouts or runs to give your muscles energy…..didn’t mean to get mouthy but take the dam weights off…..LOL

• LOL. Maybe I have to learn that I don’t need to take each set to complete exhaustion. I am such a competitor. And yes, you may be right. Just increasing my protein intake on lifting days may be of help with those hunger pangs.

7. facetfully says:

More protein on those days could do it. I notice that I also remain more satisfied if I have something I really enjoy. If not, I keep seeking that satisfaction. Maybe your favorite healthy foods that day and only slightly larger portions. Then do something you enjoy so you don’t have the chance to think so much about hunger.

• That works for me on the weekends, but during the work week it is difficult. I am going to increase my protein on lifting days though. Although I am pretty stuck on eating a diet with foods that come directly from nature I am considering maybe a whey protein drink post workout.

8. Dee says:

Someone has already suggested this…more protein and healthy fats! I have protein protein powder, coconut oil and cinnamon in my daily smoothies…helps keep away hunger pangs…protein for muscle repair…coconut oil has many benefits, including reducing fat…and both cinnamon and coconut oil are recommended for diabetics.

9. jncthedc says:

With your commitment it is just putting the right pieces together.
    (1) I recommend spending $50 and buying an Omron hand held electrical impedence body fat analysis device. You will never truly know if the weight gain is lean mass or body fat without some tool to measure.
    (2) According to your posts, it sounds like you are deviating from your meal plans relatively often. I suggest preparing additional foods ahead of time with the proper nutrients you need. This will help prevent turning to foods you “want” rather than foods you “need.”
    (3) Return to tracking your calorie expenditure from exercise and calorie intake from food.
    (4) If you enjoy lifting heavy, do so only 1-2 days/week. The other lifting days can pyramid up and down with lighter weight and higher repetitions.
    Here is a suggested starting place. I’m sure many will offer advise. I hope you find this beneficial.

• Absolutely, I have been deviating from my meal schedule because I get so darn hungry after lifting. I am going to look into the Omron, I didn’t even know that it existed. And your right, I do need to track my calories a lot closer. As always your advice is spot on, and I am going to take another suggestion of yours into consideration that of whey protein. Thank You. 🙂

10. wcklinwood says:

Hello, I’m not sure if anyone has suggested this or not but swimming is one of the best exercises there is. It’s great cardio, always a full body workout and it’s extremely easy on the joints. Its known to strengthen muscles and lower blood pressure. If you have access to the pool or maybe now since it’s summer and you can go to the beach or a lake, I would suggest swimming. That with maybe a low carb diet might help. There are also a couple of herb supplements that might help with lowering blood sugar. Gymnema Sylvstre, Bitter Melon, Prickly Pear Cactus, and Magnesium. Of course you should always talk to your doctor before adding any of these to your diet.

• I used to swim often, but really don’t have access to a pool, nor the time to drive to the Pacific ocean. I do cycle every so often, but like hiking more on the weekends.

• wcklinwood says:

I hear you. I don’t have access to pool either, but in the summer time I’m always at the beach. I know it’s not a crazy heavy workout but yoga and tai chi are good workouts to do too. Easy on the joints, good core workouts, relaxing but you still feel like you did something when you’re done.

11. Good Morning: I read your note and I am sorry that this is happening, but don’t feel alone in your journey, we are here to offer support. Sometimes not just changing your workout routine will give you the results that you are looking for, more importantly is to change your nutrition regimen, but maybe you need additional support, I know of this product Attain GC Control that clinically shown to help support and balance blood glucose levels, promote healthy insulin response and optimize blood sugar metabolism. Love to forward a pdf. if you are interested.

Blanca

12. Prajna Te says:

Hi Billy. I can’t offer advice as a nutritionist or fitness trainer. However, whatever you decide please consider adding meditation into your daily routine. Start with 5 minute increments. Specifically, close your eyes and focus your awareness on balance/harmony. Ask your body to restore itself but on the deepest cellular level. Inhale health/harmony and exhale disease/disharmony. Try this upon waking in the morning, before you go to bed at night, or immediately after your workouts (while laying on your back). All 3 times would be great but if that’s too much just choose one of these times and be consistent. We live in a go-go-go workout hit-the-gym everyday kind of society yet suffer from so many unnecessary illnesses. Exercise is important (and I’m active myself) but I believe excellent nutrition, proper sleep and meditation can get one at least 80% of the optimal health sought. Wishing you well and hope you’ll give this a try for at least one week! -Derek

• My monkey brain makes it hard for me to meditate unless I am using guided meditation. I haven’t been doing this and want to thank you for the reminder. It does make a huge difference in my overall well being. Thanks for reminding me.

• Prajna Te says:

My pleasure. Also, I totally understand the preference for guided meditation. Should you ever want to do a 10-15 minute guided meditation I’d be happy to guide you through a session via Skype “on the house.” I do this as well as philosophical consulting with clients who are geographically dispersed. Cheers…

• worldofdetox says:

SimplyLivingOver50 you seem to be a motivated person. I don’t know much about exercises though i wish i could help but you there has been some very good ideas given already.

However i have put some short clips of meditation instrumental music on my website you can use these if you like.

• That is very nice, thank you. 🙂

13. docgreenlife says:

Hello! I’m very keen on reading about your struggle, but I need to know something: What is the normal blood sugar there in the States? ( We have a normal 4-6mmol/l) and what is your weigth in kg ? Our units here are different. Do you want to loose weight ( then the food intake is more important than the exercise?) or do you want to get muscles? (then you don’t loose weigt…and you have to eat to get the muscles…). Remember to eat green vegetables!

• I don’t have the conversions readily available right now, but I measure in mg/dl which a healthy reading should be between 60 – 100. I really don’t consider my body weight as a factor to reducing body fat and rely on my waste size as a marker. I want to increase the size of my muscles and also reduce the amount of body fat I carry.

14. Well no wonder you’re craving carbs!! You aren’t eating any!!! Use healthy carbs like sweet potato in pre and post workout fuels. I don’t know anything about Diabetes or blood sugar but I do know lifting and fueling. The body requires protein and carbs to refuel and repair muscles. The right amounts for your body will allow you to see less inflammation. As for the increased bulkyness if you recently increased your lifting its likely water weight (swelling) that will go away with time and proper nutrition. Check out Eattoperform.com they have so much information!

• I will check it out. I have had sweet potato’s in the pantry since last week and haven’t boiled them yet. Sometimes I feel that I am just too busy. Thanks for the link, I will check it out. 🙂

15. Sandy says:

Hi
    As you know I read everything you write … Unfortunately I don’t have any recommendations for weight lifting, etc., as this diabetes stuff is new to me.

I keep meaning to dig into some research and check out how the ‘weather’ affects our blood sugar. Since the hot humid weather has been here I can’t seem to get ahold of my fasting and any readings during the day. This morning I registered a fasting glucose reading at 134mg/dL and haven’t been below 100 during the day and pre-bed reading in weeks. This is suppose to be PRE-diabetes for me.
    I’m exceptionallh frustrated as I’ve been eating really well and balanced and no breads or potatoes etc., (except when out for dinner with friends this weekend, – stupid decision to agree to go to an Italian restaurant). I’m much more active with summer here and making a point of doing daily exercises. All I can think is the weather … That’s my biggest environmental change lately… You have any knowledge of that?

• No, but I wonder… I have even heard that your blood sugar is higher during full moons also. If this is true then why wouldn’t the weather have an effect on it. I am going to investigate this some more. Thanks for pointing it out.

16. Raymond says:

You probably need to rely on the technology a bit. As far as I know you have the iPhone. Get Endomondo, Runtastic, MyFitnessPal, or any other gym app. YouTube videos will be a great exercise. Record your food intake as well. Having google calendar to plan your daily activities will help too.
    I only found one keyword match to get in shape which is “planning”. Without planning no one would be able to build something properly for the future.

17. Chad Miller says:

You have 3 meals here but you need more food than that. I would try adding something like a bar or tuna and a small salad as snacks.

18. Hey man, like the blog. I really admire what you are doing, keep it up!

I would definitely increase your protein intake on the big strength days. Not really an expert in this field but what I try to do is eat enough for breakfast lunch and dinner so that I don’t need to snack throughout the day. Snacking is your worst enemy when it comes to diets and training. Lots of healthy wholesome foods for the mains meals and cut out the nonsense in-between.

Also I don’t know what type of carbs you are eating but I try and stay clear of the pasta and bread as much as I can. I find things like quinoa (v. high protien) and bulgar go well with salads and help fill me up more. Also adds a bit of variation!

Best of luck 🙂

• Thanks, yea since I wrote this post I have been increasing my protein and have noticed that the cravings have gone away and with the increase in protein I also increased the level of my workout. Thanks for the advice. 🙂