A New Approach to Fighting Inflammation

And yet another day where I seem to be going in the wrong direction. My weight is up another 2 lbs and my blood sugar is once again above 100. I am not going to stress over these figures though, I am going to simply stay on course and wait for things to turn around. Today is a rest day and I have decided to take one every third day. My new workout schedule looks like this: Day 1 – Cardio, Day 2 – Strength Training, Day 3 – Rest.

270b972e3e5b9077cdcf7145a1c69bc1Why am I changing my routine again? One of the things that I have learned over the past year is that after working out hard I end up with a certain level of inflammation. Although this inflammation is small and necessary in the healing process of overworked muscles it is still inflammation and if left unaddressed can become the cause of all kinds of other problems. It can show itself as sore joints and weight gain and the only cure is rest.

Thus far I have approached this problem in many different ways from reducing the intensity of my workouts to taking off several days at a time to heal. Of course this is all an experiment and I am hoping for it show some signs of success. I don’t know how it will play out, but as I am still striving to understand my body, I believe that it should prove some positive results.

Yesterday I worked out like a beast and actually lifted heavier with almost double the reps on each set and it felt easy. I was working a muscle group (arms) that I didn’t work for over a week and that rest period showed positive results to overall gains in strength. But the results of that workout showed up this morning as fluid retention in the form of my bodies healing mechanisms to repair the damaged muscle tissue that I tore. The answer to this is rest.

This new routine will actually afford me almost 72 hours of muscle rest before I work those muscles again and start the healing process. After the early morning strength training workout I will have the rest of the day, plus a day of rest and a cardio day before I hit the next muscle group hard. Other than legs all of my strength training workout sessions somehow involve the same muscle groups to perform. While I do rows for my back, I am also using biceps and triceps to accomplish the row. Rest is mandatory for the healing process.

As always, I will just keep on keeping on until I reach the point of totally understanding how my body works for me. I am convinced that both strength training and cardio are very important tools necessary to overcome the problems with Type II Diabetes, but these two will not work without proper rest.

This type of inflammation is natural as the body is continuously healing damaged cells, but there is another cause for inflammation in our food choices. I am not going to get into all of causes because books have been written about them, but for me the devil is grains. There is enough scientific evidence available now that all you have to do is google grains and inflammation to view enough articles about all of the negative effects and causes of disease involved in the digestion of grains. As far as I am concerned anyone suffering from Type II Diabetes should never eat any type of foods derived from grains.

I will be working hard on correcting my diet and will share many posts in the future with an emphasis on the foods that should be included and taken out of a Type II Diabetics menu choices. I will work hard to take the daily meal menu I place on the bottom of each post and try to make it more specific and much more clear as I continue to learn more about the food.

REST DAY

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs, 2 Bacon
Lunch- Ribs, Squash
Dinner- Steak, Salad

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, nature, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to A New Approach to Fighting Inflammation

1. Well, I don’t like that this is happening to you but I do like that you’re speaking out!

2. facetfully says:

Informative, for sure. Not news to me though. I am not diabetic, but have been exploring my body through exercise and diet…how they affect me. My doc suggested I go off gluten, dairy, soy and caffeine to see if it helped my pain and inflammation. Wow! What a difference. I have not yet narrowed it down, but would like to figure out if it is one of these, in particular. I feel it is dairy more than the others.

What I am not very good about is the discipline, nor do I want to eliminate everything, all the time. For instance, if it is my grand’s birthday, I want to share the celebration with cake and ice cream! I happen to love to eat too…that does not help. What I know is that I can limit my intake and do pretty well. It is a choice that pays dividends. You have the self-control that I lack!

Good luck and keep us informed. (Side note…I thought I saw you on a commercial last night! Hubby changed the station too quickly for me to tell you what the commercial was for. If I saw it again, I might not think so…it was a quick shot. Just thought it was interesting. Would not have known had you not posted that picture recently.)

Sorry for the LONG reply! Have a great day!

• Yea, we all have to figure out what works for us. Our bodies have great similarities yet are so different. I think your doing a great job in working to learn how yours works for you. LOL. I don’t think that I was on TV, but Bowflex did do an interview with me recently.

3. fitgrandma says:

Best wishes on figuring it all out!

4. jncthedc says:

Have you considered a post workout nutrition recovery program to minimize metabolic waste accumulation (leading to increased inflammation) while providing essential nutrients for glycogen replacement and muscle repair/growth?

5. Eileen says:

Fascinating post. You speak to an issue I have with working out and that is inflammation caused by arthritis. Going forward it’s something that I need to address, but haven’t so far. I’ve set it aside, but it becomes and elephant in the room. It’s helpful for me to hear from someone such as yourself, who is working with inflammation – acknowledging it and including it in your workout/recovery.

6. Cindy says:

I started a Low Carb (Atkins type ) diet 7 weeks ago, major inflammation in my body ,I was tierd all the time and cutting food was hard. I do not like being hungry. After 7 weeks my body is feeling great inflammation has degree and my hormones have returned to normal. Please read the following NY Times article it may helo, please take care.

7. Maryanne says:

Hi Bill! Your diet is stellar and I’m wondering if a green drink included in your breakfast would help? (Like a kale blend with a tiny bit of apple to sweeten?) My father-in-law in diabetic and his numbers always go up when he doesn’t eat his salads. Greens and vegetables tend to lower the sugar. I’m not diabetic but I notice when I eat more vegetables I weigh less on the scale without trying, regardless of exercise or lack of. Let me know what you think.

8. I agree with you on the grains. I’d go so far to say that no one needs them, and they certainly don’t improve health. There is probably a small percentage of the population that can eat them whole and unprocessed and not suffer too badly, the point is, how do you know? Inflammation can be a silent enemy. Many can be doing damage for years with very little knowledge. It may show up in subtle ways that you would not attribute to grain consumption. Therefore, I really think grain elimination is beneficial for just about everyone. With every food we eat, we are either feeding disease or fighting it. No doubt that grains feed disease, (they certainly don’t fight it.)

9. mike and brandy says:

reduce the meat and dairy intake. cut the animal fat and cholesterol intake. hit the greens and veggies hard, helped me. might help you.
    -mike

• I barely eat any meat at all right now, I don’t do dairy and I eat a lot of vegetables.

• mike and brandy says:

Rocking it. I just saw your posted menu and was offering a possible suggestion. I got rid of bacon and red meats awhile ago. Saw great improvements in my blood work. Then after I went vegetarian dropped cholesterol even more. You don’t have to go full on but I would suggest drop the red meats and pork as a good start. Including the bacon.
        Good luck and I’m praying for you in your journey. –mike

10. Great post. I love that you include your readings and your good eats at the end of every post. I’m still not courageous enough to do that.

11. jncthedc says:

Apologies, I forgot you are doing a Paleo Diet.

12. Diet is a tricky thing since everyone is so different. The key is ‘trying’ to find something that works best for YOU! Although I am not diabetic, I do not include sugar in my diet and lately, no grains. I primarily live on meat, eggs, cheese, and veggies (no beans, corn, starchy, etc.) and feel FAB! People think I am crazy & it’s unhealthy. It’s not unhealthy, not for me at least 🙂 I’ve been doing this for a decade. I feel HORRID when I eat sugar. Good luck finding what works for you!

13. BookWriteHer says:

2 eggs with breakfast – scrambled? Poached? Fried?
    Nosey of UK 😁

Thank you for sharing, I didn’t know about grains and inflammation, but will search about it. Thanks once more!

15. Krishna says:

Nice to read ur blog. Getting inspired after reading that at this age u r keep on trying .I m diabetic n my sugar level is always high after medication n exercises.. Sometimes I fade up m upset. Feeling to Leave every effort to control it as is is not giving me any result..then again I try…as a single mom HV many emotional n financial tensions. BT after reading ur blog I get new spirit to keep on.

16. Pranic Roger says:

Billy, you’re doing a great job at writing. although I think you were intending to say ‘debt’ and not ‘dept’ in one of your posts. As a massage therapist in a fitness centre inflammation from over-stimulation of muscles is a frequent occurrence which I encounter with my clients. Diet and body acceptance or rejection because of histamine response to certain foods such as carbs or as you say ‘grains’, ie: cereals, can cause a irritable bowel or gastric response. I suggest the ‘middle path’ of Buddhism which preaches moderation. The overworking of your body will also trigger a inflammatory response which rest will correct but in a roller-coaster fashion. I would suggest reducing intensity overall will give you more constant results.

• Thanks Roger, I attempted that approach of reducing intensity recently and found good results from it. However with blood sugar balancing I have found that the high intensity that works my muscles a little harder also decreases the sugar in my blood stream. I know the quick answer is to not have that sugar in your blood stream at all, but as you know the body depends on energy to just get through the day and my hand to mouth responds accordingly. LOL. Is the middle path of buddhism a book?

17. tamratam says:

Very informative, thank you!

18. tamratam says:

Very informative. Thank you!

19. Bear and Food says:

Great post! Celery juice is a great source of polyacetylenes. Polyacetylenes reduces inflammation by lowering levels of inflammatory prostaglandins in your body. Raw celery juice also relaxes smooth muscles inside your blood vessels, thus helping to reduce high blood pressure. might help you!