Awakening to the Facts of Age

Broken_age_logoI seem to have found a balance and my blood sugars are settling down to a normal range. The funny thing is that I have been continuing to eat a few snacks during the day that I am not supposed to be eating like bread and sometimes a cookie after lunch. It has been 4 days since I exercised last and still my numbers are dropping and I really can’t account for the positive changes. My body weight has been staying steady between 173 and 175 but I really do miss the workouts. What I have noticed though is that when I stretch I don’t feel that stiffness in joints and I am thinking that maybe that stiffness was an indication of continued inflammation what was built up in my joints that I was simply recognizing as muscle growth.

If all of this is true and I feel that it is maybe when I do return to the workout plan it may be beneficial to workout every other day to allow my body to heal for 24 hours after each work out. I mean it is true that as we age we certainly don’t heal as quickly as we did when we were younger. Yes, maybe at 54 I am not supposed to building muscle at the same rate that a 24 year old does. If this is the case I will miss the gains and challenges of lifting just a little heavier, or longer sets each time I pump up those weights.

I have always been a strong competitor and love the idea of progression, but could it be that my competitive edge could be causing my body to break down and actually cause more damage than good health? It hurts me to think this way as I do like to win. The truth of the matter is that maybe I am not winning at all and there really is no competition here. Yes, maybe, just maybe it is time to take it down a notch and simply find joy in this wonderful life I have been given. I am not saying that I will give up exercising, I just need to realize that I am a little older than I think I am.

Isn’t this the case for all of us over 50 people? We think of ourselves as the same person we were at 35, but when we look in the mirror we don’t always see 35 in the reflection. It is hard thing to admit to ourselves because hey, “You are only as old as you feel”. Last year has brought 4 grandchildren into my life, I have the wisdom now that carries me through with the abilities to make smart decisions based on past mistakes. When I was 20 years old any 54 year old represented an older person. Now I am that older person. Turn the page and start writing a new chapter. I am not sad about this at all, just awakening to the facts that guide me through this life of mine.

NO WORKOUT TODAY

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs
Lunch- Steak, Broccoli Raab
Dinner- Chicken Kabobs, Zucchini

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, meditation, primal, simple living, type II diabetes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Awakening to the Facts of Age

1. When you get to our age you really do need to listen to your body. I suffer from a continual bad back and as such am always in pain with it yet I still walk the dog and go to the gym because I think that is what will machete better, however, I too am beginning to wonder if I am actually getting this right myself.
    It is a strange thing and almost counter intuitive when as you say we still feel young in the mind even as the body gets older.

The only competition your ever in is with yourself, and you have already won!! You are aware of your body and it’s needs….well done….on a separate note.. I once hired a trainer in a gym…he was knowledgeable, I did my research before hiring him, anyway he said unless your training for the Olympics…. Always rest your body 24 hours in between workouts…

3. sweetpea2love says:

What a great post and rings so true, as I am approaching decade number 6, I find I can’t power through the day like I use too, and that does bother me a lot. It’s difficult to give into the aging body. But, the body is the master and will tell you straight away to rest or you’ll pay for it in the end… Truly, inspiring post my friend, thanking you kindly, from Laura ~

4. Florida Minimalist says:

My husband is 36 and he continually complains about shoulder pain, because he pushes too hard in the gym and when he goes he’s there for 3 hours at a time. I always feel like he’s doing more harm than good, but what do I know? Haha. Maybe you can replace every other day with walking instead of lifting?

5. Jenn Prime says:

You are already doing the best thing by learning to listen to your body over your mindset. I personally am looking at 60, but I forget that sometimes and try to do something I would have done without a thought ten years ago, and my body just doesn’t respond. I am always surprised by this, as I am by the wrinkled stranger I occasionally glimpse in passing reflections. I hope that means that I remain young at heart. And you are right about your workout. Especially in middle age, our bodies need a day between strength exercises to recover. If you feel the need to work out every day, alternate strength training with aerobics.

6. trbauer91 says:

I have to say that while it is truly inspiring to see even the young people around me trying to get fit, it is even more inspiring to see the older generations do the same. My grandmother, bless her, has been doing the same and, though she chose a method I disapprove of, has done a wonderful job. The changes in her and my younger sister are amazing. Keep up the good work, physically and mentally.

7. For the last two or so years of weight training, I’ve gradually been increasing the weights. Given the amount of time I’m willing to commit to resistance training (25 mins twice a week), I’ve plateaued out.
    My focus now is on maintaining what I’ve got, not setting new and higher personal records. It’s a fight against the aging process. Adult life is a battle against gravity; we all eventually lose the war, but weight training helps in the fight.
    -Steve

I’m currently doing a 5×5 beginner’s strength training routine which has me lifting (albeit somewhat heavy for me) on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I “rest” on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays by doing ab work and cardio. I’m still in the process of evaluating how this is working out for me, but I can definitely see the benefit of giving the older guy’s body an every-other-day rest from the weights.

I’ve also heard that taking a week off from working out every three months or so really helps in healing the damage we do when lifting. Just a thought.

9. Maryanne says:

This is a great blog and I plan to write something similar in the near future. I think when your weight or sugar level is stable it’s because you’re putting less stress on your body because stress turns to sugar.

I noticed that when I have less stress I can afford to exercise less too and then I get on the scale and the numbers go down or are at a good number.

I have a friend that I always seem to call her while she’s working out. She always complains about her weight. And I did notice that she moans and groans about work-outs, whereas I only do the hard work-outs when I REALLY feel like it. So I lose and she doesn’t.

People need to realize, it’s not always about calories or even bad food. The real killer is stress.

• Absolutely, and most of the time it is self induced. People tend to confuse stress with excitement by choosing to be stressed thinking that it is exciting. As a natural human we should only feel stress when being attacked by a tiger or under the pressures from an opposing tribe. Not from all of the bullshit that we conceive in our minds.

10. Lety C says:

Great post. I think we all should age doing our best taking care of what we are given. That is what I call age with dignity.

11. jncthedc says:

Great coincidence with our postings today. At nearly 56 years old, I’m in your shoes. I have become less competitive and enjoy the new challenges I face. For me, the winner isn’t the weight lifter benching 500lbs; it’s the person still lifting weights at 90 years of age. This attitude has given me a new outlook on life. Instead of experiencing disappointment with changes that occur with aging, I seek new challenges to accomplish. I wish you all the best with your ongoing journey.

• Same here. Life goes on and I am healthy and feel really good. I walk tall and proud and know that these days may not gift me the same things they have in the past, but what’s to say that they won’t be better? Rock on my friend.

Excellent article! I am still learning the new features of getting an old body while my mind stills thinks I am 35! Thank you for being such a great guide in this journey!

13. BookWriteHer says:

Very interesting stuff. I’m working on improving nutrition (just focusing on the evening meal for now) and it is amazing how when you focus on something you can make improvements. No matter how subtle. Your blog is inspiring. 👏