A Weekend in The Backyard

ask-if-people-need-yard-work-doneIt is Monday once again and the weekend is done, but what a nice weekend it was. The sun was shining, it was warm and I found myself working in the yard most of the time. Yes, with all there is to do here in Oregon I found the simple pleasure of just spending some time bringing my gardens to life. Despite the fact that I really don’t like having a lawn I spent a great deal of time working to make it look like it is professionally manicured. We will be placing this home on the market in just a few months and having a nice lawn presents a certain appeal that shows that the home is cared for.

There has always been something special that I feel deep inside about a back yard. It can be a place of solitude where a connection is made between just you and the natural things of this world. From the soil to the plants, the fresh air and the sunshine where you can here the wind blow gently through the leaves. A place where the music is played all day long from the songs of birds singing above. A place where you can sit and feel the sunshine against your skin welcoming a certain warmth that permeates straight to your heart. The feel of the earth between your fingers as new plants are being placed in the gardens and the feeling of truly being grounded brings about that special feeling that your are part of this natural world and you do belong.

NO WORKOUT TODAY

Meals
Breakfast- Cottage Cheese, Strawberries
Lunch- Salad
Dinner- Steak, Broccoli Raab

This entry was posted in flowers, food, fun, gardening, health, life, meditation, minimalist, nature, Oregon, paleo, permaculture, primal, simple living, type II diabetes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to A Weekend in The Backyard

1. I love the picture used with your post. We spent our weekend in the backyard too!

2. Anne Marie says:

I really enjoy reading your posts. So glad that you liked my page so I could begin to follow you!

3. Ree says:

I love reading your posts. Thank you for liking my blog so I could discover your blog and start following you. Planted the greenhouse this weekend and looking forward to some sun and dry weather so I can get the outdoor garden planted as well.

4. Florida Minimalist says:

My backyard and back porch are the favorites places of my home. I often write my blog posts in the early mornings there. They too are my places of solitude and entertainment, watching the birds fight over a spot at the feeder. I bet springtime in Oregon is gorgeous!

5. The wind is raging here in the OK. Its 1st of June. I want to be out but there again I am not in the mood for having my feathers ruffled by the wind! We need some summer here and soon!

6. Here on the east coast it was the perfect weekend to work outside too. I feel the way you do. It is healing and so rewarding to see flowers that were just little slips a week or two ago, blossoming out. Today it’s raining but we so need it. After all the time I spent outside, I really need this time to get caught up on indoor work so I can play outside when the weather changes.

7. facetfully says:

Great post. We have been doing the same thing. Our house goes on the market today in Bend! Love the references to nature here too.

8. Maryanne says:

I love your meal plan on this post, it’s just perfect! I’d like to hear more about the salad, what ingredients, what kind of dressing, etc. I’ve been making very simple salads lately with just beets, avocados and anchovies.

My relationship with my backyard recently consists largely of serving it. Cutting the grass, edging, trimming, blowing, weeding, watering, fertilizing. Such is home ownership.

I love the feel of dirt running through my fingers and then to see the fruit of your labors…I love looking at my yard and watching it evolve…glad you had some well deserved sun…its been overcast down here and muggy….send the sun….

11. mypinchofyum says:

Haha. Loved the pic. 🙂 So wanna be out but, ahh the rains.

12. Grey Dove says:

How beautifully you express the perfection of a spring day! Thank you for finding just the right words, ones that create a vivid picture but do not tip over and become overly sweet or unrealistic.

Sadly as I write this my furnace is chugging away softly, eastern Ontario Canada is way behind in the spring concept this year!

And I’d like to note that we share the idea of what a Perfect salad is, right down to the dressing, … or at least right down to the dressing if yours is home made. My rabbits and I have the same salad (theirs is naturally undressed) and I don’t understand people’s need to clutter them up with all sorts of extras.

Thanks again for a wonderful glimpse of a gorgeous day!
    Sincerely,
    Grey Dove

• I am happy that you enjoyed my post. And yes, the salad is really about the greens as they are so important to our natural diet. I hope it warms up for you soon and you too can enjoy the spirit of Spring.

13. Eileen says:

Thanks for reading my blog, and for liking my posts. It’s great to know someone’s out there who relates to what I’m writing. I love being in the yard, in fact I can hear the birds singing outside my bedroom window. Feeding them and watching them are some of my favorite things. I hope you have a wonderful day. 😉