The Time for Action

timeforactionSometimes I move so far away from the general theme of my blog which or course is all about the journey to a simpler life after the age of 50 due to so many other subjects that I am passionate about like living healthy, eating healthy, working out, fighting Type II Diabetes and reducing stress. I suppose that in the grand scheme of things these are all related to simple living and I shouldn’t be to concerned, but still after reviewing many of the posts that I write I find that my site really is a mixed bag. I am by no means going to change this because typically when I sit down to write a post it is something that is on my mind and comes from the heart, but I am going to work on better ways of organizing everything.

After a year plus of blogging I find that my theme is still true as my main objective in life is still simplification and working a little bit each day towards a more minimalist lifestyle. I am now 54 years old and as I look back at my own generation and realize that we were a very wasteful and self absorbed generation. The “Me” generation loved attaining bigger houses, nicer cars, and lots of stuff, but also the very thing that comes along with all of this stuff, Debt. Although I was never one of those to fully engage in this type of lifestyle and always tried to stay within my means, I certainly did my share of spending money on crap I did not need.

We all like to play the “What if game”, and think about how our lives would be different should have we lived our lives a little differently. But I will not go there as it really doesn’t make any difference at all. Thinking about what I should have done will not increase my bank account, or pay off my mortgage. It won’t move me into a position where I can retire and feel comfortable with my finances knowing that there will be enough income each month to afford me all of my needs which include health card, healthy food, clean water, a comfortable home and a healthy community to live in. It does not get me any closer to knowing that I can take a vacation now and then to see loved one’s who live a distance away. No looking back will do non of that. The only thing that will get me closer to all of these things is “Action”.

So rather than looking back at all of the mistakes that I made in life I tend rather to look back at all of the emotions that causes me to makes such foolish decisions. I examine that emotion and try to remain mindful of not making the same mistakes again.

I deserve that:
This happens when you are working hard each day and feel as if there is no reward for your hard work. The answer to this feeling is of course “gratitude”, or taking a good look at your life and being thankful for what you already have.

I want what they have:
When others seem to have nicer things than we do it is easy to believe that they are in a better position. Jimmy next door just purchased a Mercedes, so he must be doing so much better than me. Later we discover that Jimmy is filing for bankruptcy and getting a divorce.

The Christmas Case:
We buy it and love it for a week and it ends up in a closet until we sell it at a yard sale. The only excitement we get out of it is the excitement of opening the box and knowing we just got something new. I call this the “Christmas Case”, as we try to regain the feeling of opening gifts on Christmas morning.

Shopping is fun and everyone does it:
Shopping should be done when we need things, not when we want them. I could fill my closet with beautiful, expensive clothes but only ware a tenth of what is in my closet. Still the thrill of looking at ourselves dressed in these new clothes as some special event.

If I own nice things I will feel rich:
Feeling rich is the observation of how we think other perceive us. If we look wealthy they will believe that we are wealthy. The truth of the matter is that no one really cares if you are wealthy or not. The social stigma attached to this is creating envy amongst our peers. Sooner or later the truth will always come out as no one can maintain a lifestyle they cannot afford

There are certainly many more emotions that stir within us that cause us to make the mistakes that we make. The key is to learn what they are and take the action necessary to create the positive changes to reverse them. Are you still living in a 2400 square foot home but your kids have moved out years ago. Why? It is time to downsize that home. Do you have three of everything when you only use one. Why? Are you spending your weekends working on the yard trying to keep everything just right? Do you have a cars, boats, motor homes that are just sitting on your property that you never use? What is it that really brings you joy in your life? Are you pursuing these things that bring you joy, or struggling with maintaining those things that don’t?

Look, you can sit around thinking about all of these things like I know you often do, or you can make the decision that it is high time to take action. Life is way too short to be living someone else’s life or the life of someone we believe that society deems acceptable. It is your life and you know deep inside what it will take to make things happen to bring you closer to those dreams that lie within you. Start taking action now and believe in what your soul has been crying out for all of your life. Yes, it is time to take action.

I am still struggling with hunger during the day and although I set out on a positive course yesterday I still had problems. I remember when I first adapted to getting into ketosis I had stopped all workouts for about two weeks. I concentrated on just eating those foods that delivered me into the state of true fat burning, then slowly resumed my workout. I once again have to go through this and call it a reset. I will never give up on this battle and will do what needs to be done to stay in a healthy position in life. I am not feeling this way lately as I have somehow got back on the sugar/carb cycle and observing the negative consequences each day. For the next two weeks I will lay off of all exercise and concentrate on my eating habits to return to a state that showed great results for winning the war on high blood sugars.

NO WORKOUT TODAY

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs, 2 Bacon
Lunch- Meatloaf, Peas
Dinner- Chicken Caesar Salad

This entry was posted in blogging, debt, fitness, food, health, life, minimalist, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to The Time for Action

1. savanaj says:

Good morning! I want to thank you for your post and let you know, it’s just what I needed this morning. I’m 58 years young and woke up today feeling blue and with a bit of regret for some past decisions. After reading your post this morning, however, I’m back on track. Enjoy your weekend!

2. Florida Minimalist says:

You have brought up a lot of really good subjects here. I think modern society and media is to blame for so much of the envy we feel, it’s hard to control it on a personal level. We are brain washed to believe that ‘more and bigger’ is always better. Our role models are not who they should be, they are pop or movie stars, and we want to live like them. Thanks to social media we see how they live every day and wish our lives could be that way. To live a simple life is to go against the grain, unconventionally, in a society that is very complicated. It can feel very isolating at times to live this way. We are hardly ever shown the whole story, just the best parts of the story, and it leaves us feeling depressed and unhappy with our own lives.
    One of the things I love most about traveling is that for most of the places I’ve been, everyone is pretty much doing the same thing everywhere else. People are going to work, doing laundry, walking their dogs, etc. It helps me to really put life in perspective. Minimalism helps me concentrate less on what everyone else is doing, and more on expanding the goods things in MY life. It has inspired me to take “action” and get up and go DO the things I’ve always wanted to do. You are absolutely right. Life is too short to wish for someone else’s life!

3. Love this. I am finally realizing that much of my happiness has been squelched trying to live up to society’s expectations. I finally “arrived” at what society calls success, and I feel empty and guilty about what all I have sacrificed for that status quo. But, like you…it’s not the time to look back. Let’s move forward and make positive choices and decisions every day to find peace, self worth, and love.

4. One of your best blogs. So true of our generation.

5. hugr5 says:

I’m going to be reading your blogs in bits and pieces. I have trouble reading a long blog — all at once!

I wanted to respond to this right off the bat, because of something you said at the beginning of your essay/post…

You refer to finding better ways of organizing everything in regards to writing your blog [posts].

Try thinking of it as SIMPLIFYING your thoughts.

I KNOW the value of needing to simplify and, for me, it starts with my mind.

Of course, rephrase it to suit your purposes.

I use a visualization, sometimes, of wielding a machete in a jungle, trying to clear a path…

Take a deep breath… 😉

6. mmrli says:

Again you have enlightened me to things that are in my path and actions I have to change. Some things (financially) I can still get a handle on. Don’t give up your fight.

7. First of all, no need to change a thing about your blog. Your posts always center around your theme of living a simple life. Being simple leads to a high quality of living. I try never to think about what others have, or what I don’t have, because all I need to do is look in my childen’s eyes and see that I have everything I’ll ever need, even if I have to live in a tent. My husband and I have always tried to live a very simple, uncluttered life. As a team, we have periods where one of us is working full time or two of us are working part time so that one of us is always with our children. Keeping our needs and wants to a minimum has allowed us to do this and I am truly thankful. I look forward to reading your blog because your thoughts often mimic my own, except I don’t always have the time to express them. So just stay true to who you are. You have been a great inspiration to me!

Good Morning…love your post….I am 58 and when I turned 40 I had my real first a-ha moment…I started to change my life unconsciously and by the time I was 45 it turned real and I took the bull by the horn so to speak…still didn’t have a good handle on my weight issues but was learning the triggers that were negative on my life, so after a divorce, a cleansing of material items, and moving to a very small place, (490 sq feet from a 2000+ sq foot house) I was the most happiest I had been in years…literally years.. felt like I had shed a lifetime of hatred, guilt and unhappiness. So from then on I have been able to live financially clean, no bills other than life’s necessitates, bought nothing out of: I need that, I want that, I must have that, and have never looked back…I only once in my early 50’s took inventory of my past lives, and thought about all that I had lost, wasted and gave away and then have never looked back…. I meet a wonderful man who lives very frugal and neither of us want for anything…I feel we live a very rich loving life, and are doing exactly what we both want out of life, I have been blessed to have be able to retire early and am counting my blessings everyday….now at this late age I am trying very hard to get my weight under control so I can keep the body functional as long as possible….your blog is an inspiration to me, thank you and well done!!!

9. Jennifer says:

Great post! Framed things in a new way for me, which was pleasantly unexpected. No doubt it will also have me more aware of the driver behind my urges to splurge in the future on more junk I don’t need. Thanks for the share! 🙂

10. in567 says:

I’ve heard about how some wealthy people dress down, so that they don’t appear wealthy, and of how ironic it is that those who don’t earn much dress pricey. It wasn’t until the last 5 years that I’ve met a couple of wealthy folks who actually do dress down or don’t carry themselves around as folks who earn a lot. One of the 2 is a lady who’s spouse owns a hotel. She carries around the most simple (and stained) cotton handbag. Never mind brand names for her! Really glad I got to know her because she’s a kind and generous spirit as well.

11. Nicely written – though I am quite a bit away from the 50s. Simple and honest.

12. Grower says:

I guess I”m fortunate in having moved early from the “having” to make life feel valuable to more of the “doing” and just “being.” You seem to have acquired some wisdom in your 50+ years. Thanks for sharing it.

13. Loved by my Father says:

I incorporated drinking more water daily and that has helped the hunger issue. 🙂 Being over 50 also almost 60 – hunger usually makes me almost faint energy wise. I also have Hepatitis C which doesn’t give me ANY glucose when I need it as there is none that the liver has to give. Anyway, I’ve found that drinking about 60 oz of water a day has given me a ton more stamina and energy. You are probably already doing this … 🙂