Objects of Desire

4The desire continues for that object that plays in my mind over and over again. It has been many weeks since I walked into the Apple store and witnessed the new high tech laptop. The young salesman was not pushy at all and explained to me all of the features of this device. I already knew I wanted this item and felt like I have dreamed about being a proud owner of an Apple computer. I am a writer, or at least wish to claim to be a writer as I continue to write posts on my blog each day. Does writing on an older Windows based system make me less of a writer? Of course not, yet there was just something very special about dreaming of sitting somewhere in nature with that bright and shiny, new Mac system.

Just two weeks of after tax salary could place this device in my hands. Oh, the excitement I feel deep inside of me just thinking about opening that box for the first time and setting up my new system. I see others who seem to burst with pleasure each time they lift the lid on their Apple notebooks in the coffee shops. Or is this just my own hidden desires of thinking about doing the same. People wait in lines to acquire these new devices when they are introduced into the world. Do they know something that I don’t? Is this device something that would make my life a little easier or more pleasurable, and would it make my daily computer tasks less stressful? I actually doubt it, yet I still want it.

Feelings like this throughout the years remind me that although the grass does seem greener on the other side, sometimes it simply is not. I remember staring into the window of that bicycle shop and working and saving until I was able to claim to be the new owner of the 10 speed bicycle, but soon learning that I enjoyed riding the old one more. I recently had the desire to become a ham operator so I studied long and hard, passed the test and purchased a small portable radio that now sits in my garage unused. If I think back throughout my life and track down every object of desire that I ended up making purchases on I don’t believe that any have panned out to meeting the expectation and the energy I put into acquiring it. What if today I had never made any of those purchases but instead had placed that money in a bank account earning interest? Wow, now that would be special. As I continue on my quest of reaching a point where all debt including my mortgage is paid in full I have to remain vigilant to my cause. Each month I have the real pleasure of seeing my debt reduced and savings go up and know that my decisions are making the progress I need to reach my ultimate goal one day.

So for today I will continue to pound away on the keyboard of this laptop that I picked up at a pawn shop and do the same thing I would do if I had purchased this new item of desire. What about you? Are there times in your life when those items of desire seem to come alive in your mind and you just can’t seem to stop thinking about them?

Today I will spend another day of rest and allow my body to heal and be restored. Since yesterday after a day of rest my body weight dropped 3.2 lbs. which is a strong indication to me that I was suffering from inflammation. I pushed a little too hard and too fast by jumping to a new summer routine and my body responded by believing that it was injury. I think I can still crank it up a notch, but it has to be completed with small steps. My blood sugar has also come down and by tomorrow morning I should be ready to resume my old routine of just 20 minutes on the treadmill and 1 set of resistance exercises.

Meals
Breakfast- FASTING
Lunch- 2 Egg, 2 Bacon
Dinner- Lamb Chops, Broccoli

This entry was posted in art, blogging, body building, debt, finances, fitness, food, fun, growing up, health, life, minimalist, nature, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Objects of Desire

1. Rue says:

I totally relate to what you are saying! I had the same feeling when I was choosing a new phone. I wanted to get an iphone so badly but ended up buying a Tunisian made smart phone which is just as good as an iphone in terms of its characteristics and it was 1/3rd the price.
    I am preparing to get married and although I have no debts, I will eventually need to take a loan in order to buy a house with my future husband so getting into the habit of saving money as much as I could is a good thing for me. We are not planning on a fancy wedding, but because we don’t live together, we will need to buy furniture for the house and make sure there is enough money in the bank in case we are out of work. We are also planning on doing our own business , so until our goals are met, I think the wise thing to do is to save!
    Great decision for not buying that mac!

• Yes, there is a big difference between those things we need and those things we want. I hope you have a wonderful wedding, and Congratulations. Stay steady with a minimalist attitude and you and your future husband will be very happy and successful.

2. I find that I can talk myself in and out of something with alarming ease. This then proves that I obviously do not need the item no matter how much I might really want it. I like you have spent fortunes of money on “quick retail fixes” over the years and wonder just how much money I would have myself if I had invested in saving the cash rather than splashing it. I now only tend to buy stuff that I think will make my life easier so if it were me I would prioritise this Mac Book over something like a new watch but I would put buying a bike over the pair of them as I would get goodness from owning a bike instead of a numb backside from owning a fancy MacBook. Mind I can say this as I type from my super powerful and easy to use iMac….
    Prioritise but if something makes your life consistently much easier or enjoyable, I think the answer speaks for itself…!

3. Lety C says:

This as always has been so interesting for me to read. I have a 23 and a 21 year old sons. And as many children played video games. Last month they both asked me to find the nintondo 64 (18 years old) and the gamecube (15 years old) They used to have those games and enjoyed play Mario Bros games. (The time was restricted, so I guess that’s why they appreciate). They used to have this games, grew up and transitioned to the X-Box. Me, beeing a “minimalist” almost like you, gave away those games. Never thought they wanted them back, since they got the new ones. Now I’ve been looking for them as they enjoy playing more with this old kind of games, somehow they say the control is different and they like the old one better. Isn’t that curious? My brother was able to find the gamecube storaged along with his son’s old toys. Haven’t been able to find the 64. Sometimes new doesn’t mean better, or not for some people.

4. I love the idea of minimalism and try not to waste money. My laptop is ageing, but I’d rather spend the money on a holiday or experience.

As you and I and like a million of us….we want and desire the new shiny, bigger better, whether it be a computer, a car, a tv, a cell phone, whatever, but we know logically that the difference in the new and what we have is nil most the time…there are times when up grades are for a better purpose, I have come to the point in my life where I use the old stand by…if it ain’t broke then don’t replace it…I will allow myself the luxury of when my electronic device or car, or whatever has expired in my life needs to be replaced, I will then take my time, touch, smell, feel, all that is available and funny, I generally end up with something comparable to what I had….When I was getting a lap top for the fist time a couple years ago, I went through 4 different brands before choosing a brand I wouldn’t even look at in the beginning of the search…yes I fondled an Apple product, but in the end for what I use my laptop for the money couldn’t justify the end….my son uses an Apple, swears by them and states he will never use a different product, however he gets to use his as a tax right off on his business…but they are a nice computer.. good for you for not giving in to your desires….wait until your current lap top expires and then I bet the Apple of your dream will be sitting in your pawn shop waiting for you….funny how life works sometimes…

6. CrazyKat1963 says:

My situation is different as I use a computer all day for work and we own our own business. I have an apple laptop and a desktop with a huge screen and an iphone. We have been exclusive apple in our house and company for decades. My husband had one of their first home computers (to the consternation of his attorney father who didn’t like the looks of Steve Jobs, so refused to do his patent work back in the 70’s). When I worked in California as a grant writer for two epidemiologists, one had a mac, one had a dos machine (no windows back then). I have worked on both and I find the apples far superior in many ways, but both, obviously, are functional. I can have a new mac any time I want and yet, I wait years and years to upgrade. Our sales guys have the newest thing as soon as it comes out. It helps their mood and their productivity. I have learned, however, that proper backups are the real key as when that computer crashes, without backup, it’s disaster.

Now don’t get me started on clothes and shoes and purses… I can barely fit in my closet anymore and yet, I probably consistently wear four or five outfits. Decluttering the possessions, the mind, the body, we are doing it all over here. 🙂 . Thanks for the great post!

• I am sure you are in a much better position also with all of your debt paid off. I am still working on paying off that mortgage so we can take it down and start enjoying our time together. My first computer was a DOS 6.0 operating system. My how things have changed. Word Perfect was the program that taught keyboard commands.

7. At this point in my life, I am discovering the pleasure of simplifying – less guilt, more freedom, less expensive!

8. jiminpanama says:

Being debt free is very liberating. Stay the course because it is better than any toy out there.

9. Great post. I had similar 10 speed bicycle experience (and feeling)

10. Raymond says:

There is a time when I would like to spend money for expensive things, but that depends on my financial situation too. But seeing your debt is about to end soon and that is your retirement treat why not?

• I think that it is a matter of priorities. If I was building an online business and knew that new equipment would lead to more productivity I could certainly justify it, but when the equipment I am using right now is working better than fine and I am accomplishing all of the things that I need it to do then I don’t have a reason to upgrade. Maybe someday when I am in the position of of having no debt at all I will consider an upgrade.

11. cristi says:

Why does it always come down to discipline? And why is discipline so hard?
    The answer…because delayed gratification is so wonderful 🙂 Have faith…you have set your priorities and stuck to them, the universe will reward you generously!