Working out at Work

how-to-set-up-a-home-gym_-ttwm_0Running those stairs yesterday certainly proved to be a positive experience. Although I set out to run up those three flights of stairs once every hour during my work day there were a few hours I missed because I got busy, but I am thinking about setting a timer on my cell phone so I don’t miss out on it. Each time I did I noticed that I was slightly winded and within just a few minutes I felt energized. I believe that this will play out to become a very useful strategy. My blood sugar is stable and my body weight dropped a whole pound.

This is another idea I will be incorporating in my book as where it will be important for anyone who works a non physical type of job as they will find great benefits in getting up just once an hour and doing something to get their heart rate up. It can be an intense 2 minute walk, a run up the stairs or a couple of quick wind sprints if possible. It you can’t get away from the desk simply do pushups to the max, or situps or even squats. There are many way we could very creative with this by mixing it up, but the bottom line is to do something to get your heart rate up once an hour. It could even become fun as we could mix it up with other employees meeting at a certain place every hour to do jumping jacks or cherry pickers. Do you have any idea’s that you think would work in your place of work?

Treadmill- 20 Minutes

Bowflex- CHEST
Bench Press- 310 lbs – 20
Incline Press- 310 lbs – 17
Decline Press- 310 lbs – 23
Fly’s- 80/80 lbs – 18
Situps- 25
Leg Lifts- 15

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs, 2 Bacon
Lunch- Fish, Asparagus
Dinner- Steak, Salad

This entry was posted in fitness, food, health, life, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Working out at Work

1. I don’t work in an office but I do live on the top floor apartment and I work from home. I now have a Jawbone which can be set to “kick you up the backside” every hour to make sure you get up and do something so maybe I should set mine and use my stairs to my best advantage….!
    Good thinking!

2. michellebyom says:

So important to move throughout the day, even if you are tied to a desk and chair! Glad some of the bigger companies are incorporating “standing desks” or those balls you can sit on, or even standing during meetings. As a society, it’s a real problem, too much sitting!

3. Raymond says:

Park your car far away and take stairs, I think it’s quite enough to start your day.

4. jncthedc says:

I really enjoy your motivation and desire to help others. The difficult part is converting good ideas in daily practices that people are willing to do for the rest of their lives. Coordinating fellow workers to get together 2-3 times/week to perform some type of group exercise event is probably more likely to succeed than hourly (albeit short time requirement) “up and out of the chair” exercise. I have found ideas that create patterns of behavior people are willing to incorporate into a busy life are more readily practiced. 10 minute lunch walks (at work), greenway bike rides, hiking at local parks, company sporting competitions with other companies. As the seasons change, we need to find the activities conducive to what the weather permits.

One of my sons does a lot of body weight exercises while at work. He’s based his routine on a book called Convict Conditioning. I guess if you can do exercises in an empty prison cell and get buff, you can do it in an office or practically anywhere.

6. When I worked in the hospital at nights, I would speed walk the floors for about 20 minutes every evening. It reinvigorated me. Now I have a desk job and I need to kick it up a notch! Thanks for the suggestions. I agree with you on the short bursts on intense activity. It has been shown that this is more effective than longer duration of steady paced exercise. Thank you again!

7. How does your boss react to you working out in your office or taking a break to do stairs every hour?

8. Maryanne says:

I mostly work at home, so I make sure to get up every hour and walk around the house a bit and get a drink of water. I aim for two work-outs per day, even if they are minor ones (like a 10-minute arm toning session). I LOVE the idea about running up the stairs. I will start doing this! THANK YOU!

9. Chico says:

I walk a few blocks after lunch, and then again mid-afternoon. Sometimes the best part of my work day!

10. Lety C says:

I really enjoy reading your everyday post. You are an inspiration and motivaion to a lot of people it is amazing how you are thinking about improving your health every day. Parking your car the fardest adds a lot of steps to your day, besides, stand up and get a glass of water and give messages to your coworkers instead of sending an e-mail. Practice standing up and sitting down without holding anything, just using your legs, if you do this 5-10 times you’ve done 5-10 squats. When you walk, practice walking straight. In order to do this, tighten your abdominal muscles. Don’t hold your breath. Your abdominal muscles should be tighten without interfering with your breathing. Pull your shoulders back and look forward. These are just a few tips that you as disciplined as you are can incorporate in your daily life. You might be doing this already 🙂