type2-diabetesAs I frequently like to read the articles from other bloggers who write about Type II Diabetes I do notice certain commonalities. The one thing I read frequently in many posts is the feeling of not wanting to think about this disease with statements like, “I don’t want my whole life to be about Type II Diabetes”. I remember having these same feelings a few years ago but learned that it was just another way of saying, “I want eat what I want to eat”.

The truth of the matter is that being diagnosed with Type II Diabetes may have been a blessing in disguise. It is the way we eat and our level of daily physical activity that dictate our chances of getting all kinds of deadly diseases, and T2D is just one of them. I will not bore you with going through this whole list, but what I can tell you is that with each one diet and exercise is part of the recovery of each.

So for me I do think about Type II Diabetes all day long. Every time I have to make a decision about eating I have to think about T2D. Because I think about it all the time I am able to do those things each day that will prevent me from feeling the pain of laying up in a hospital recovering from some type of surgery. Or the aggravation of having to live with taking handfuls of medication for all kinds of disorders I might have gotten it it wasn’t for living a healthy lifestyle. When I see someone smoking and know that because of T2D I quit that deadly habit, or seeing someone so obese that they struggle just to get up out of a chair.

The truth is that once you get on the right path to good health you to will think about Type II Diabetes all day long and know that it is a blessing and not a curse. So for those of you newly diagnosed take my advice and think about it all the time. As the years go by you will naturally think about it less as you are doing all of the things you need to do to live a healthy life. Currently 9.3% of our population in America has Type II Diabetes so feel comfort in knowing that you are not alone. Stop beating yourself up with the question, “How did I get this?”, and think more about the question, “What can I do about this?” Read, learn and act and think about Type II Diabetes all the time because it is this focus that will lead you to the life you truly deserve.

Treadmill- 20 Minutes

Meals
Breakfast- Spinach & Eggs
Lunch- Salad
Dinner- Steak, Green Beans

This entry was posted in fitness, health, life, paleo, primal, quit smoking, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to I Don’t Want to Think About Type II Diabetes. I Don’t want it to be the Center of my Life.

1. Miranda says:

This is an amazing point of view about T2D!! This disease runs on both sides of my family, so I know better than most people about how it feels to try to avoid developing it.

On another note, have you ever seen the movie “Simply Raw” from Dr. Gabriel Cousens? It chronicles how going on a raw vegan diet will reverse T2D! I don’t follow the diet full time, but it has definitely made a difference in my numbers (I was borderline and now I’m not 🙂 ).

I’m sorry for the ramble. Keep up the great work!!

• Simply Raw. I watched the movie, read the book and even purchased the book that holds the science behind the program. Truly amazing. The diet is perfect other than the one thing I need to maintain muscle mass and that is a small amount of clean meat.

• Miranda says:

That’s awesome! You can definitely maintain muscle mass with chia seeds. An ounce of chia seeds has almost 5 grams of protein (with 10 grams of fiber); I have them in my nurtiblast every morning and I can’t taste them

• I also maintain my carb intake to about just 30-60 grams per day. I was vegan for two years and believe that it was one of the contributors to me getting Type II Diabetes. I burn a lot of calories each day and need both the vitamin B12 and protein that meat provides. Besides eating meat is natural besides what many doctors believe to be true. It is a part of our human history and part of our genetic makeup.

• Miranda says:

I completely agree about eating meat being an animal tradition that we should never go against. I still eat some on occasion, but I’m much more picky about who I buy it from.

• Absolutely, It has to be pure and clean without the whole cruel processing techniques. I often pray for the soul of the animal and give thanks.

2. I totally agree! Nothing turned my life around like finding out I was pre-diabetic and just a hair from full blown type 2. I was obese, had hypertension, cholesterol problems, fatigue and poor mood. The day I saw a 6.3% A1c, it was a wake up call for me. Adopted a healthy lifestyle, she’d 80 lbs, reversed my pre-diabetes completely as well as my hypertension and cholesterol problems, came off all medications. I am healthy, energetic and test my blood sugar daily and when adopting new foods. Thank you diabetes. I’m the healthiest I’ve ever been in my adult life and I am helping hundreds/thousands to do the same! I think about diabetes every day and it keeps me living healthy!

3. Lety C says:

May I ask why you became a vegan? And is it because you were diagnosed with T2D that you adopted a paleo lifestyle?

• I became a vegan before I was diagnosed with T2D. It was when a doctor wanted me to start taking lipitor for high cholesterol. The vegan diet lowered my cholesterol significantly, but in the process caused me to eat high carbohydrates in the absence of meat. I developed type II diabetes. So even though I call it a paleo diet it is in actuality the best of two worlds. A vegetarian diet with just a touch of pure, clean meat. It works and I have never felt better.

4. elricsfate says:

For the record, I was one of the people who said pretty much word for word what you quoted. But, I don’t use other ways of saying things. I simply say what I mean.

What I want to do is get to the point where I naturally choose the right things, in the right proportions, without having to think about it. I do not want to spend my time and mental energy taking, interpreting, and adjusting for meter readings 3 times a day (or more) for the rest of my life.

When I wake up in the morning I don’t think about taking a shower and brushing my teeth. I don’t think about kissing my wife goodbye. I don’t think about shifting gears in my truck. I just do these things. Previously, when I wanted a drink I grabbed a coke. Now I grab water. Eventually, through education, I will get to the place where I see food and my mind instantly registers whether what is on the plate is good for me or not. Just like I catch a glimpse of an object coming at my head and duck…without thinking about it.

That is where i wish to be. Where my life proceeds, and is centered around other things.

The simple truth for me (and this is simply my pov) is that if the focus of my life is simply staying alive, then it is not worth living. The focus of my life is my wife and kids, my friends and family, my hobbies, dreams, desires. I stay alive so I can do those things and be with those people. If all I am doing is reading meters and adjusting intake…I’d rather just stick one of my pistols up under my chin and skip it.

This is my philosophy in all things. I work, to finance my life. Work is not my life, it is the funding source. Therefore, I have no “career ambitions” above and beyond getting paid. My ambitions, goals, objectives and plans, are all rooted firmly in the life I lead the other 16 hours a day.

So too with meters, food diaries, medications. These things are tools that help me be here tomorrow to hang out with my kids. But if I care more about what the meter says than I do about what my daughter is saying, then I am existing, not living.

Again…this is *my* point of view on *my* life. And not meant to cast judgement on anyone else or how they choose to manage their condition.

• Yes. This is the true way to live this wonderful life we are given. But I do think about the tragedies that I and my family could suffer if I am not practicing those things that are healthy. It is the warning flag of being diagnosed with T2D that keeps me on the right path each day. I don’t think about all day long as I too enjoy all of those wonderful things in life, but when it comes to those times during our day when I have to make decisions about food choices and workouts it is always that red flag that keeps me on True North. I want to one day be able to throw around a baseball with my Grandchildren and unfortunately I have to think about T2D to get me there. This is probably the best response to a post I ever received. Thank You.

5. Reblogged this on Low Carb RN and commented:
    An excellent post from Simple Living Over 50. As I posted in his comments, being diagnosed with pre-diabetes was a turning point in my life, a change for the better. Thinking about this every day keeps me living a lifestyle that will help me prevent the complications of chronic disease. I am thankful for the quality of life this has brought me every day, the fact that I can be a better mom and wife. I have reached health and weight goals that I never thought I’d see again.