Just finished reading Stuffocation and was fascinated

Stuffo_US_Border

In the book, trend forecaster James Wallman reveals the world’s growing sense of Stuffocation — and how we can move away from it. We have more stuff than we could ever need – clothes we don’t wear, kit we don’t use and toys we don’t play with.

But having everything we thought we wanted isn’t making us happier. It’s bad for the planet. It’s cluttering up our homes. It’s making us feel ‘Stuffocated’ and stressed – and it might even be killing us.

In Stuffocation, James Wallman traces our obsession with stuff back to the original Mad Men who first created desire through advertising. He interviews anthropologists studying the clutter crisis, economists searching for new ways of measuring progress, and psychologists who link rampant materialism to declining wellbeing. And he introduces us to the innovators who are turning their backs on all-you-can-get consumption, and trading in materialism for “experientialism” – where they find more happiness, live more meaningful lives, and express status more successfully, through experiences rather than stuff.

Experientialism does not mean giving up all our possessions, but it does mean getting over our obsession with them, and transforming what we value. We have to focus less on possessions and more on experiences. Rather than a new watch or another pair of shoes, we should invest in shared experiences like holidays and time with friends. With intriguing insights on psychology, economics and culture, Stuffocation is a vital manifesto for change. It has inspired those who have read it to be happier and healthier and to live more with less.

_______________________________________________________________

This book was pretty incredible and ended up leading me into a direction that I never expected. It fill filled with facts and comparisons from different perspectives and If you are considering, or currently practicing minimalism you will not be disappointed by James Wallman’s writing.

This entry was posted in simple living and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Just finished reading Stuffocation and was fascinated

1. Florida Minimalist says:

Thanks for the recommendation! I will check it out

2. Sounds like a book I need to get my hands on. Thanks for the reveiw!

3. jncthedc says:

I read that happiness is best achieved by spending personal financial resources on experiences rather than on possessions. Sounds very similar to the concept in Stuffocation.

4. Much like THE STORY OF STUFF…a simplistic lifestyle becomes easier as money becomes a lesser issue for individuals and as meditation and mindfulness become a lifestyle!

5. J Peterson says:

I’m sad that I can only like this once.

6. Ineptly Her says:

Thanks for the recommendation. I think I’ll share it with a few family members. I’ve been trying to tell my family this for years!! It’s crazy how many people fill their lives with so many things. I would much rather be out experiencing the world!!

7. I will definitely check this book out! I have been on a mission to de-stuff the past few years, and I find a direct correlation to my happiness. Less stuff has translated to less stress for our household!

8. KerryTP says:

I’ve just found my next read! Thanks!

9. Sounds like an amazing book. I’m intrigued.

10. Pingback: Enough | Lori's World

11. Sandy says:

Definitely will put it on my list. I read another book similar and you know im with you on keeping it simple.
    Thanks for sharing

12. RachelleGreene says:

Hey there! You have such good timing with your posts! Are you following me or something? I’m currently emptying out my family’s old house to sell, and STUFF is EVERYWHERE. It’s ridiculous, and it definitely doesn’t add to your life experience. Craft supplies are my number one clutter factor. Again–great post! I’ll have to look for this book.

13. BookWriteHer says:

Love this sort of thing. We never used to shop and consume like we do now. If it’s something you love (experience or item) then great. If it’s getting in the way of you using and enjoying the stuff you love. Not so much, time to donate.

14. I will definitey check this book out.

15. Thanks for this! I just added it to my library queue.

16. Seems like a great book – maybe at the right time. Thanks mate

17. Guru Singh says:

We all need to look at the stuff we accumulate over the years and have a clear out every now and then. We do this twice a year and take it to charity shops.