Breaded Pork chops and Hotdogs are not Paleo

“The caveman walked to the hotdog stand and…. NOT”

caveman-300x211As you can see my blood sugar has rose above 100 this morning but this time with the experience I have gained I am able to pinpoint the reasons for it being so high. For one I did no walking at all yesterday which led to limited water intake during the day, just before lunch yesterday I ate a hotdog on a bun that a fellow employee brought into work and at dinner last night I ate breaded pork chops and although I know that I should have limited the amount I ate, I did not not and certainly overate. Another problem was that although I did have salad to eat, I chose not to eat it. This is all plain and simple and just these few things can cause the body to act the way it does. Yesterday someone said to me that you don’t have to eat a perfect diet, you just have to keep things balanced. I smiled at them and said If that works for you then it is great, but for me I have to eat a perfectly balanced diet.

I know, although a morning glucose reading of 101 isn’t terribly dangerous I know that this is not the way I want to start my day. Today I must be very strict with my diet and try to find small ways of burning calories during my workday. This is probably something that I should be practicing today anyway. It is days like this where I have to be careful not to over do it with exercise. It is too easy to try to make up for a high glucose reading with extra efforts in my workout routine, but I know that the workout routine must remain balanced with maybe a slight advancement here and there. Going overboard will be cause for inflammation and thus cause my glucose rise even higher.

Treadmill- 20 Minutes

Bowflex- SHOULDERS
Shoulder Press- 250 lbs – 18
Front Raises- 70 lbs – 15
Side Raises- 70 lbs – 15
Shrugs- 310 lbs – 15
Situps- 25
Leg Lifts- 15

Meals
Breakfast- 2 Eggs
Lunch- Eggplant, Salad
Dinner- Fish, Salad

This entry was posted in body building, fitness, food, health, life, paleo, primal, simple living, type II diabetes, walking and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Breaded Pork chops and Hotdogs are not Paleo

1. cjcas says:

Hi, thanks for your honestly. Great to see your committment to a heath lifestyle. If you don’t mind me asking, what keeps you going?

regards
    Chris

2. Maryanne says:

Your blog is amazing! I’m so happy to read the comments to that you are doing this for your grandchildren. In 1995 grandmother died of diabetes at 76 (which I feel is way too young when people are living past their 90s!). She lost a leg but that didn’t prevent her from living with a lust for life. She still went on roller coasters, to see Elvis impersonators and on trips to Atlantic City. I just wish she had that same passion in taking care of herself.

Not wanting to follow in her footsteps, I’m very much into health and have been mostly paleo since last summer. I truly think 80 percent paleo is the way to go and when you plan your meals ahead of time, it’s easier to succeed. Here’s a great tip, I see you like eggs — what I started doing was dipping avocados into the yolks (instead of bread!) Or scrambling the eggs with broccoli or sauerkraut. It’s a great way to start the day when you begin with a five-star meal.

Good luck! I’m following your blog so I can cheer you on! πŸ™‚

3. jncthedc says:

I am a very disciplined eater and understand the frustration you described. I have made a couple of rules for myself that you may want to consider.
    (1) I drink 14oz of H20 before and after each meal. I disllke H20 so this mechanistic approach helps increase my intake. This gets a total of 84 0z. I fill a GLASS 64 0z. bottle and keep this on my work desk. You can set an alarm as a reminder to check if you are drinking your required amounts. I am not suggesting you drink this much water. I am simply giving you a method to make sure what ever amount you want to drink is consumed.
    (2) At each meal, eat whatever you like the least FIRST. This will PREVENT you from leaving the important nutritious components out of your meals. It also (on a psychological note) reiterates your desire to be healthy by reinforcing behaviors that force you to eat the important parts of a meal. Whether it is water, salad or anything else that many do not look forward to, this makes it easier to do the right thing.
    Good luck.

4. Bill, I love that you aim for such tight control of your blood sugars. I was once pre-diabetic and completely reversed my condition with a low carb, whole food approach. Last A1c 5.1% and I’ve never taken any medications. However, I still regularly check my BG and keep tight control. I aim for mid 80’s or below fasting, and preferably no greater than 100 post meal. I do this so I can continue to KEEP diabetes at bay for myself. I too will occasionally over-indulge even on healthy foods, such as cheese or nuts, or simply eat late at night and see my BG in the 90’s at fasting. Then promptly make tweaks to my program. There is no once-for-all-time solution. Diabetes is not a disease like high blood pressure where you take a pill and fix the problem. Diabetes (type 2) is a disease where you must consider every food that goes into your mouth, and consider things like appropriate activity, sleep, water, and other health habits. But take heart. It’s not as hard as many people think, and it’s not rocket science. Eating a diet very low in carbohydrates, choose high quality carbohydrates and eat real food. Move around, drink your water and get 7-8 hours of sleep. Check your BG regularly and tweak your program accordingly. “Eat to your blood sugar monitor.” Aim for truly normal (non-diabetic) BG numbers. Apply those things and you are 99% there. You are such an inspiration!

• This is exactly what I have been doing for the last year and I find great success in it. One other lesson I learned too is to stop listening to the ADA. They will put you in an early grave.

5. fellochrist says:

But it’s still meat and veggies…just under the quarter inch thick layer of gluten and dairy. It’s there but barely πŸ˜‰

6. Donna says:

I love your writing. I’m also fighting a health battle with diet and exercise. The whole, “everything in moderation” doesn’t work. It’s old thinking and causes bodily harm. I like your tips on the bowflex. I have one but hate it. Hubby wanted it but never uses it. Keep up the good work on your health journey!

7. educater21 says:

I really admire your discipline and one of your reasons for such discipline ( grandkids). Really enjoy your posts especially the sharing of your daily meal plans.

8. elricsfate says:

This is where my biggest issues lie. Being new to this I have not yet gotten the education I need to make well informed choices. So, I am all over the place right now. I will eventually settle in to a rhythm (I hope). But for now I am doing what seems to be the right stuff. My meter disagrees.

As I stated at the beginning, while I do understand the seriousness of the situation, I also am not willing to live my entire life based around a number on a screen. So I am hopeful that I can transition, through education, to a place where I am simply eating properly and that’s the end of it. I have no real intention of keeping a food diary, or doing multiple daily meter readings for an extended period of time. My desire is to get to a stable place, keep myself there over a period of time, and then simply go back to life before the diagnosis, with a new eating and exercise regimen. Both of which I was prepared to do before.

I may not succeed, but that’s my goal.

• I started noticing real positive changes when I stopped eating grains and reduced my carb intake to between 60 and 100 grams per day. It is a learning journey and you will find your path.